Unity Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

4.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Riccitiello

Pros
  • Work life balance is very important to me and Unity is very flexible when it comes to this (in 10 reviews)

• Great culture and sense of community (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Politics now need to be managed better as the company is growing so fast and inter and intra group dynamics could be nicer (in 4 reviews)

• Because we are growing quickly, we're also experiencing a few growing pains as we figure out how to maintain the indie/startup culture (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Inspiring place to come to work every day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unity is a great place to work, we are growing, have fabulous work/life balance and a super cool product. I love being surrounded by passionate engineers that are at the top of their game. We make the world's largest game engine that has been used to make amazing games (Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run, Assassin's Creed). Unity games have over 1.7 billion downloads a month, and we also are the leader in Virtual Reality.

The new HQ is in a great location (right in downtown close to BART) and decked out with things like free snacks, wine and beer on tap, & free catered lunches. We have offices in 26 different cities and people transferring/moving between the offices all the times, so you truly feel like you are a part of a global team. Engineering is extremely collaborative and always working on cool projects.

Cons

None really- keep the Engineering bar high and as we grow, continue offering great work/life balance & perks.

Advice to Management

As we grow continue to keep us updated with updates via email and at our monthly all hands.

Dec 21, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for your wonderful review. Agree with you that Unity is an inspiring place to work with great benefits, amazing engineers, and a very technical product. We take our review seriously and ... More

"Hands down the best place I've worked or probably will ever work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ All the above and beyond perks (catered food, toll reimbursement, fitness stipend), even in locations like Seattle where no one else offers them
    + More holidays than anyone else
    + Amazing amount of freedom and autonomy - more than most startups
    + No weird peer pressure to work long hours like other tech companies
    + Very R+D focused, get to work on cool new things everyday
    + Get to be fairly involved in the gaming industry
    + Really feels like a family environment
    + Lots of travel

Cons

- Travel (if you don't like it) - usually important because of the global nature of the company
    - Communication is sometimes difficult for the same reason as above

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Jan 16, 2017

Thanks for the terrific review and we're so glad you're happy. Employees like you are what make Unity such an incredible place to work.

3. "Great Company, Even Better People"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There is never a day when coming to work at Unity is hard. While there are amazing perks (lunch every day, monthly happy hours, great benefits, etc.) it is the people that make Unity such a great place to work. The company is full of intelligent, hard working and talented individuals who continue to help Unity grow. I'm happy to be part of such an amazing group. If you're looking for great culture and a company you can believe in Unity is the place for you!

Cons

N/A. Keep up the good work!

Nov 30, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for the feedback. What makes Unity so special is the great people that work here. We our proud of our amazing culture and are proud to also offer so many great perks.

5. "Great culture"

Pros

Most people I work with in different teams are great to be with.

Very collaborative and customer-focused culture

Cons

Only growing pains, more people come in than offices can handle.

Dec 1, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for your review! Having a strong culture is very important to us and we're glad you're having a positive experience.

6. "Amazing Workplace, great people, challenging work"

Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Unity since early June. I am so happy to have found a place where my contributions are valued. This is truly a collaborative and thoughtful environment. Not only is the this a great opportunity today, but Unity continues to expand Globally offering a wide range of growth options typically not found at other companies of this size. Our leaders out thoughtful and take time to make everyone feel valued. If you cannot say the same about your work, maybe it's time time to give us a call.

Cons

Have not really found any yet. People at Unity are kind and welcome collaboration. People are recognized for their achievements and there is not a persistent culture of blame found at many companies.

Advice to Management

No advice, but thank you for taking such amazing care of us all the time. From the daily catered lunches, Noah's Bagels every Thursday, great happy hours, to a true belief in work life balance Unity has been an amazing place to work.

7. "Smart People Smart Company Smart Leadership!"

Current Employee - Engineering Recruiting Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Recruiting Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Talented and smart people
    Positive and motivating work environment
    Transparency
    Solid leadership
    CEO that knows what he is doing
    Engineers are OUTSTANDING

Cons

Working to align business goals across all teams. Growing quickly and trying to maintain same culture and casual work environment.

Dec 1, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We're always working on finding solutions to the challenges that come with a fast growing environment to ensure the best culture for all of our ... More

"Amazing Company and Culture!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love it at Unity! The hiring and recruiting process was great and the product is leading the way in game development and VR. The leadership is making all the right moves in terms of monetization, seeking capital, people ops/HR, and strategy/global positioning.

Cons

There seems to be some variance in terms of process and abilities/background from team to team. Since there has been a lot of growth recently, this could be something that gets worked out over time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Focus on the innovators in the company in order to question the status quo to stay aligned with the design/VR community.

Sep 21, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks so much for the review. We're working hard to make Unity the best it can be and are glad to have you on the team!

"I am excited to go to work everyday at Unity"

Pros

Unity thrives on and fosters innovation. The people in this company are exceptionally intelligent, motivated, and diverse. The leadership is approachable and empowering, and that creates an environment in which everyone seems genuinely happy to be at work. Additionally, Unity seems to be on the cutting edge of everything in the gaming industry. You cannot help but feel like you are a part of something special and significant.

Cons

There are no real cons to working at Unity. I will say that maintaining the Unity culture will probably be a challenge for the company, as it continues to grow exponentially.

Jun 1, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for your review. It's wonderful to work as part of a team that's excited to come together and build great things!

"Awesome company!"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time

Pros

- Great culture and sense of community.
    - Strong executive team (they are all friendly and approachable).
    - Opportunity for career development.
    - The product is great - VR is an exciting opportunity for Unity.
    - Extremely talented engineering team. Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

- The company is growing quickly so there are some growing pains, which is inevitable

Apr 20, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. Unity is working hard to empower employees to do excellent work by providing a friendly workplace, excellent benefits and focusing on ... More

11. "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Unity Technologies is the best place to work ever. Super fun and cool people. Breakfast and lunch very day. Atmosphere is collaborative and upbeat. Management is approachable, communicates and listens. People's careers are taken seriously.

Cons

Will share later - too new to see cracks

Apr 20, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for sharing! We're thrilled that you are happy and hope to provide you with continued growth opportunities and challenges and a fun and supportive environment.