Unity Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
John Riccitiello

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • As the company grows that may improve (in 6 reviews)

• Growing pains after lots of layoffs earlier this year around GDC (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Inspiring place to come to work every day"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unity is a great place to work, we are growing, have fabulous work/life balance and a super cool product. I love being surrounded by passionate engineers that are at the top of their game. We make the world's largest game engine that has been used to make amazing games (Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run, Assassin's Creed). Unity games have over 1.7 billion downloads a month, and we also are the leader in Virtual Reality.

The new HQ is in a great location (right in downtown close to BART) and decked out with things like free snacks, wine and beer on tap, & free catered lunches. We have offices in 26 different cities and people transferring/moving between the offices all the times, so you truly feel like you are a part of a global team. Engineering is extremely collaborative and always working on cool projects.

Cons

None really- keep the Engineering bar high and as we grow, continue offering great work/life balance & perks.

Advice to Management

As we grow continue to keep us updated with updates via email and at our monthly all hands.

Dec 21, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for your wonderful review. Agree with you that Unity is an inspiring place to work with great benefits, amazing engineers, and a very technical product. We take our review seriously and... More

2. "Amazing place to work!"

Pros

I've worked at several large technology companies and Unity is a special place. The Engineering teams are world class and work on cutting edge projects that touch over 2.1 Billion downloads a month. We are focused on our customers and our mission of democratizing game and content development.

Unity is also a truly global company where you get to interact with employees all over the world. Every employee truly has a say in having their voice heard. It is also a wonderful place to come everyday with free snacks, lunch, wine on tap, beer on tap, and a cool VR room to do demos.

Cons

Depending on your role, there can be a bit of travel- but if you enjoy seeing cities like Montreal, Copenhagen, or Seattle, it is a great place to be.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in learning programs and focus on engineering teams as you have done in the past.

3. "Highly recommend Unity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission and culture. Goals are bold but realistic. Lots of smart and interesting people. The company Danish roots has really keep our feet planted on the ground--humble, non-hierarchical, empowering. Fast pace and a lot of work but interesting and learning a ton. Culture is awesome--feels like family--very direct but caring.

Cons

Has a scrappy side to it so if you like lots of structure and policies for everything you might not like it. It's highly (globally) distributed so it also requires flexibility to take an early am or evening call.

Advice to Management

Continue to watch out for politics and not hire jerks as we grow. This is a special place and want to see it remain special. Help employees prioritize their work and work smarter so they don't just keep piling on.

"Cool tech, great product, poor execution"

Current Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great, benefits are top notch, especially for new dads. Company likes to be cutting edge, great opportunity to work on fresh tech. Customers are fun. Core business seems solid

Cons

Release process for main products is a nightmare. Flat hierarchy and size of engineering team makes it really hard to work cross functionally. Many roles stay unfilled around the company, poor communication with management, base pay isn't competitive. Focus on self starting and empowerment, however most successful and happy people are those who keep their heads down and don't do anything beyond their core areas. Empowerment becomes and excuse for lack of support. Hypocrisy around titles where on some teams titles are withheld because they're "going away", and others where they're given out. Many have grandfathered titles which makes it impossible to advance. Generally poor leadership at all levels.

5. "Recruiter"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies as a contractor

Pros

- Amazing Culture, brilliant people, exciting technologies and products, innovative, beautiful office

Cons

- there are no cons yet, I am hoping that it stays that way!

6. "Great company"

Pros

Exciting company - really going places

Cons

Growing pains after lots of layoffs earlier this year around GDC.

Sep 14, 2017 – Unity Technologies

Unity is fortunate to be in a time of great growth as we expand our vision and move into new business verticals. With 22 offices worldwide, excellent benefits and the best employees-we are going... More

7. "The Best Place I Have Ever worked!"

Current Contractor - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Approachable leadership who don't throw egos around and have an all hands on deck mentality.
    Company is gaining traction in a variety of marketplaces...the sky is the limit!
    Collaborative nature of work environment.
    Tremendous office location and perks. (Catered lunch every day, tons of snacks, 4 beers as well as red and white wine on tap, video game and VR rooms, Ping Pong table, Pool table)
    Company has a very communal and family feel. People enjoy working together here!
    We work hard and play harder.

Cons

I have not seen any negatives yet working here. This place is truly is an amazing place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on!

8. "Contractor"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Unity Technologies as a contractor

Pros

Unity has been a refreshing and inspiring place to work! I genuinely enjoy coming to work everyday and seeing the amazing people that work to make Unity such an incredible product and brand. Excellent work life balance, catered lunch everyday and the workplace experience team does so much to make the workplace a fun and engaging place to work. I honestly feel like I cannot think of another place I would want to be than here. I am very proud to be part of such an wonderful company, as they are hard to find these days.

Cons

Honestly cannot think of anything

9. "Incredible people, products, and vision for the future."

Current Contractor - Senior Recruiter Machine Learning & Cloud Platforms in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Unity Technologies as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

European roots that value work life balance above all else. The leadership has created a very transparent culture that thrives in creating the best environment for it's employees while inspiring absolute innovation and cutting edge leadership.
    The recruiting team's leadership in Bellevue is an amazing team of people. They do their best to provide the most compelling compensation packages available while including an opportunity for wealth building at every level through equity in this rocketship of a company.
    There is tremendous potential for Unity to be held in the same regard and class as the Giants of the tech industry.
    After coming from Google, I have been extremely impressed by the autonomy and guidance that have been provided at a fantastic balance.
    I hope to make this a home for many years to come.

Cons

I am absolutely biased and do not have any cons I can provide. This is after having worked with some of the highest caliber companies in the industry.

Advice to Management

No advice, simply gratitude. Thank you for all you do to make this a place I am excited to come to work everyday. I love my coworkers and am thrilled to be a part of this amazing company.

10. "Do your best work at Unity!"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mid-size company with exciting growth plan and market share
    Fantastic facilities, lunches and benefits.
    I have been given you the opportunity to work on a variety of things that interest and challenge me and have a growth plan in place for future opportunities here.
    Unity is a technology company not just for people who are crazy about games.

Cons

Very few-people are working hard to make sure that we have a great experience internationally without too many hiccoughs as we grow.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work-love the transparent communication and thoughtful, mature decision making.

Sep 15, 2017 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for your review. We're thrilled to be exploring new verticals, but gaming is always close to our hearts! Employee empowerment to do great work is at our core and we're working hard to... More