Unity Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Riccitiello

Pros
Cons
  • As the company grows that may improve (in 5 reviews)

• Because we are growing quickly, we're also experiencing a few growing pains as we figure out how to maintain the indie/startup culture (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Inspiring place to come to work every day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unity is a great place to work, we are growing, have fabulous work/life balance and a super cool product. I love being surrounded by passionate engineers that are at the top of their game. We make the world's largest game engine that has been used to make amazing games (Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run, Assassin's Creed). Unity games have over 1.7 billion downloads a month, and we also are the leader in Virtual Reality.

The new HQ is in a great location (right in downtown close to BART) and decked out with things like free snacks, wine and beer on tap, & free catered lunches. We have offices in 26 different cities and people transferring/moving between the offices all the times, so you truly feel like you are a part of a global team. Engineering is extremely collaborative and always working on cool projects.

Cons

None really- keep the Engineering bar high and as we grow, continue offering great work/life balance & perks.

Advice to Management

As we grow continue to keep us updated with updates via email and at our monthly all hands.

Dec 21, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for your wonderful review. Agree with you that Unity is an inspiring place to work with great benefits, amazing engineers, and a very technical product. We take our review seriously and ... More

"A great company that is growing fast"

Current Employee - Test Engineer
    Current Employee - Test Engineer

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work with passionate, talented people who care about the product, from the newest intern to the CEO.

- Treated like an adult, given latitude to make decisions within your purview and plan your own workday.

- Great work environment. No suit and tie! He//, no shoes (shirt required though, please). Drink beer on the job (just don't spill on the keyboard, please). Work whatever hours you want (within reason).

- ZERO crunch.

- FAFF (Fridays Are For Fun). Time permitting, you're allowed to work on a project of your choice and often the last part of the day is a party, everything from go-cart races to beer drinking.

- Great relationship with customers. They appreciate the democratization of games the engine provides and the passion of the crew, and respond in kind.

Cons

- Repetitive work (but I knew this going into the job).

- As with most jobs in the game industry, the pay isn't what you'll get on the outside. But you're working in the game industry, and you'll never hate going to work in the morning!

- No matching 401k.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, some bureaucracy (the dreaded b-word!) is going to have to be instituted. Small company management doesn't scale to 500+ employees.

"Perhaps the most interesting company in the video games industry."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Absurdly intelligent people everywhere
    * Flat organizational hierarchy
    * Accessible upper management (even the CEO)
    * Carefully managed strong growth of core business
    * Thoughtful and patient investment in many other verticals

Cons

* Compensation packages are below market rate for San Francisco
    * No stock options except for upper management (though you can fight for them and win)
    * HR and accounting appear disorganized and underinvested in

Advice to Management

* Begin distributing equity to everyone, even if the amount isn't large. It's expected in San Francisco, but more importantly, it gives everyone a real sense of ownership.
    * Recruiting team is understaffed, and hiring process takes far too long

Apr 11, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for the review. We too believe that our team is full of intelligent people (and fun!) and love that you have experienced easy access to our executive team. We are constantly reviewing our ... More

"working at Unity"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great place, great culture. doing lots of exciting things. adding a services layer to enhance the game engine core.

Cons

growing very rapidly and thus, some growing pains associated with that growth like changing culture, out-growing office space, etc.

Advice to Management

recruiting is always difficult in such an environment. to that point, we have hired additional recruiting resources but doesn't hurt to try to do more.

Mar 4, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Long-term Unity employees like you ensure that we have an excellent product and solid foundation. The executive team values that immensely and is working hard to enrich and maintain a supportive ... More

"Company that is going places, fast!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unity is the biggest gaming platform in the world and expanding. It is such an exciting time to be at the company as we have 600 million users using games built on our platform each day (Facebook has 752 Million).

We have a Virtual Reality room in our office, as almost all VR games are built on the Unity platform. We can go into the room whenever we want and experiment with the VR, which is the future of gaming. We work truly global, with our offices in Copenhagen, Finland, the UK, and Asia.

Work life balance is amazing, it is not the culture where you are expected to stay until 7 p.m., most people work pretty much 9-5.

The compensation is competitive, company is valued well so the stock will be worth something....also what other start up in San Francisco is making amazing revenue? If you are lucky enough to get hired at Unity you will not only love what we are doing but love the people, office, and culture. It is very flat culture and not a hierarchy; anyone can walk up to our exec team and have a conversation.

Cons

Everyone in gaming knows about Unity, people outside of gaming usually haven't heard of it.

Advice to Management

Expand the brand to outside of gaming and keep the flat culture intact.

Jan 20, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks so much for your review! We're so excited to have dedicated employees in all departments who are working hard to take Unity to the next level.

"Company Culture is Perfect!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at a company with a diverse group of employees who are all working together to accomplish the same thing and Unity has this! You look around the office and find people with a wide variety of backgrounds and personalities and it makes each work day fun and intriguing. Additionally, we all enjoy the happy hours and members from all groups, including C Staff, participate. We have an open & positive culture which everyone appreciates.

Cons

We are growing so quickly with such amazing talent that our office is becoming a tight squeeze.

Advice to Management

Let's grow Unity Technologies to those that don't know about it outside of the gaming community.

Jan 20, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks to committed and enthusiastic employees, we're able to continually create excellent product while maintaining an inclusive culture while we thrive and grow. We were feeling the pinch too, so ... More

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Amazing product. I'm so excited for Unity's future in VR.
    - Extremely talented and strong executive team. They are all so friendly and treat everyone as equals.
    - Great culture. We have employees who have so much offer to the company and are passionate about we do
    - Free lunches and fully-stocked kitchens
    - Monthly happy hours
    - Awesome benefit plans
    - Perfect office location in SF
    - Global company and we continue to expand
    - Work life balance is great - I rarely see anyone in the office after 6pm
    - Generating millions of revenue

Cons

- No quarterly reviews with managers (only yearly)

Jan 20, 2016 – Unity Technologies

VR/AR is such an interesting space and we're thrilled to have a leading role in creating the software that will drive so much of the coming innovation. Thank you!

"Multinational video game leader, deep industry connections, growing"

Current Employee - Software Engineer - Services, Analytics in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer - Services, Analytics in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally it feels good to contribute here - directly helping improve Game Developer's business' viability and work-lives, providing a cross-platform unified game engine and services to make the most of their games.

* Is the games industry - creativity, imagination, challenge, fun and excitement aplenty
    * Opportunities to grow professionally and technically: Challenging technical problems, growing organization with ever-increasing needs, generally very good reputation of Unity in the industry
    * Work with many smart, kind and friently, communicative, professional people of many nationalities in a broad organization. In my San Francisco team we have a tight group that initiates many fun outings, enlightened management, and the feel that we're at ground zero with regards to the global company.
    * Fantastic comp. for games industry / sector: steady and at general market
    * Self directed, largely - Develop one-on-one relationships with many experts across the globe to accomplish your goal.

Cons

* Learning more non-US (my home) cultures as-you-go is a good idea - there was some confusion communicating with coworkers in another country's office who were being very direct (I felt) which was cleared up after some simple learning about what it meant for people from that country To be direct.

Advice to Management

Continue helping do what can be done to maintain that sense of an interconnected unified team, preserving our Culture, carefully hiring & on-boarding as the many new faces continue to join

Jan 20, 2016 – Unity Technologies

We appreciate your review. It's such an exciting time to work at Unity and we value our industry reputation and happy employees. As a global company we are aware of the importance and challenges of ... More

9. "Startup feeling with the benefits of a big company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, highly capable. Everyone seems to be very passionate about what they do and happy to share knowledge. I've never seen a management this transparent and accessible: everyone from the C-level to my direct managers are very approachable and open to talk about almost any issue.

Cons

small office, a bit noisy.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

Jan 20, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks so much for the review! We're thrilled that you are enjoying your days here and that you have open channels of communication to keep things moving in the right direction.

"Great atmosphere and brilliant people"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time

Pros

Working at Unity has given me the opportunity to advance my skills and also find a ton of new friends in the process. I have enjoyed every minute and hope to be with the company for a long time!

There are also great benefits, excellent compensation, and lunch served every day at the office!

Cons

None! Be expected to have a good attitude and be accountable for your own work!

Jan 27, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for your review! We definitely strive to pave a great career path for all of our employees and trust that our employees will do a great job in their roles.