Unity Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Riccitiello

Pros
  • Work life balance is very important to me and Unity is very flexible when it comes to this (in 10 reviews)

• Great place to create new connections (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Politics now need to be managed better as the company is growing so fast and inter and intra group dynamics could be nicer (in 4 reviews)

• Because we are growing quickly, we're also experiencing a few growing pains as we figure out how to maintain the indie/startup culture (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Inspiring place to come to work every day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unity is a great place to work, we are growing, have fabulous work/life balance and a super cool product. I love being surrounded by passionate engineers that are at the top of their game. We make the world's largest game engine that has been used to make amazing games (Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run, Assassin's Creed). Unity games have over 1.7 billion downloads a month, and we also are the leader in Virtual Reality.

The new HQ is in a great location (right in downtown close to BART) and decked out with things like free snacks, wine and beer on tap, & free catered lunches. We have offices in 26 different cities and people transferring/moving between the offices all the times, so you truly feel like you are a part of a global team. Engineering is extremely collaborative and always working on cool projects.

Cons

None really- keep the Engineering bar high and as we grow, continue offering great work/life balance & perks.

Advice to Management

As we grow continue to keep us updated with updates via email and at our monthly all hands.

Dec 21, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for your wonderful review. Agree with you that Unity is an inspiring place to work with great benefits, amazing engineers, and a very technical product. We take our review seriously and ... More

2. "Technology - Unity is a fab place to work."

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic firm, great colleagues, very smart co-workers, and this is the single best technology firm I have worked for. Very international, with very able & talented co-workers from everywhere in the world.

Unity uses smart technology, and has very good processes for implementing change. You will learn a lot here.
    Fantastic office in CPH. There is nothing you could ask for that isn't already provided.

Cons

Decision making can be slow, with a great many people involved, but that is expected for a firm of this size.

Advice to Management

I love the transparency of senior management, and there is nothing I can think of that needs to be improved. Keep up the good work. A great place to work.

3. "Marketing"

Pros

Fantastic and smart teams to work with, everyone is super friendly and welcoming. Great product that you can get behind that helps change people's lives. Also the daily free lunches were awesome!

Cons

Lots of shifting priorities and re-organization as the company continues to grow and tackle the transition to a SAAS company.

"Good employer, but i got the short end of the stick"

Current Employee - R&D Developer
    Current Employee - R&D Developer

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of nice perks, including free food, snacks and drinks, all expense payed travel, extra health insurance, nice office, flexible work hours, good colleagues, recreational area etc.

Cons

Fixing bugs all day, every day, for almost 2 years now, and it's making me sick.
    And if you are new you will be judged by the speed at which you fix bugs.
    And that's why I won't recommend it to a friend.

Advice to Management

Give people more varied work.

6. "Rare and Exciting Company"

I worked at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing growth and mission. The company truly cares about its community. By and large, it's a great place to work, It is on an awesome trajectory to success.

Cons

The meteoric growth has caused explosive growth in middle and upper management. While this is crucial for the size the company has become, it has taken a major toll on the companies ability to be agile, and the company culture. It used to feel like family, now it feels like a Silicon Valley race to the top.

Advice to Management

Don't forget what made this company great, and practice what you preach. Misdirection and lip service eventually catches up to you. Keep it real!

7. "Really Enjoy Working Here!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lean and flexible way of working. Really great and relaxed atmosphere at the office. Very talented and motivated employees. Healthy but fast growth of the company.

Cons

Sometimes hard to find out how makes the final calls.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Mar 27, 2017 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for your review! Unity definitely believes in providing great work-life balance and we're happy to hear you think so!

8. "Unity - Game business grow enabler"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People: Super pro and enthusiastic people. Relaxed culture and great team spirit.
    Products: We do products that help game developers to be successful. Game business is growing with us and it's amazing cool to play games that are done with Unity.
    Company: Unity is great place to work as everything around us is top class. Our brand and reputation is well know.

Cons

People working all around the world and would be nice to see each other more often.

Mar 27, 2017 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback! Unity aims to democratize development and it's great to hear that you're able to experience developers' success through playing their games.

9. "Unexpected great place"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

Did not expect to find such a good vibe in a company, especially in games

Cons

Have not found anything thus far.

Advice to Management

dunno management :)

10. "Surprisingly awesome"

I have been working at Unity Technologies (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been part of the Unity journey since the early days, and have seen the company grow beyond our wildest imaginations: this could and should merely have been a good-but-small software vendor, but through the really hard work of an ever increasing number of smart people, good luck, and some visionary turns by the leadership it's turned into one of the primary computing platforms, achieving dramatic leadership across the games industry.

Coming around to my local office and visiting our other office I am always happy to meet incredibly clever and passionate people, most doing the best and most meaningful work of their lives. There's many of us now, yet very few jerks find a way to come around and fewer if any a way to stay and succeed.

In the earlier days, the work and our mission to democratize game development was its own perk (but there were few others). Now the company treats us well across the board with competitive salaries and option packages, excellent flexibility and respect for the individual, and a healthy work-life balance for those who prefer it.

Cons

Few if any (and fewer than ever before).

It can be a little hard to find your way around the company, but if you spend the effort you'll find yourself welcome after all.

Advice to Management

Keep up the openness and generosity, and don't let up... this company is going places and needs all hands on deck.

Mar 6, 2017 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for sharing your review! It's been an exciting journey for Unity and we're constantly working on providing our employees with the best benefits.

11. "Great place to work with great people and a culture to match."

Pros

Great employee and customer focused culture.
    Great new office space.
    Employees empowered to do the right thing.
    Management that listen to the employees.

Cons

Sone group silos within parts of the company that need to be brought closer together especially as the company grows and products get integrated.

Minimal process can sometimes hinder the product development

Advice to Management

Try to retain the company culture and values as you grow.
    More communication between the various parts of the business would bring benefit.

Mar 13, 2017 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for the feedback! Unity is definitely growing a lot but we're able to maintain our great culture with the awesome talent that we're adding to our teams.