Univar Solutions Reviews

Updated May 13, 2021

3.4
Univar Solutions President and CEO David Jukes (no image)
David Jukes
Pros
  • "Professional environment with good benefits(in 56 reviews)

• "Development opps, great pension and holiday allowance, great people(in 37 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Typical politics in upper management levels(in 33 reviews)

• "no room to move up in the company, too many cheifs(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Univar Solutions and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Genuinely happy to be here!

May 18, 2020 - Senior Manager in Downers Grove, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, friendly teammates, and leadership team that listens!

Cons

As we enter into a "new normal" environment, the remote work policy should be revised to include a better balance of working from home as well as in the office.

Univar

Our teams and company culture are two of our best assets! Thank you for leaving a review. We're thrilled you're here!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

great

Mar 29, 2021 - Supervisor in Dublin, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

lots of good people and collaboration

Cons

merger has been stressful for new people

Univar Solutions

Thank you for your review and for your contributions to our team. Here at Univar Solutions we are focused on Growing Together as an organization and team collaboration, as you pointed out, is a key contributor. Transformation isn't always easy, but we are focused on innovation and process improvements as we move forward and strive to be a place where the best people want to work. #Growing Together #TogetherWeWin

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

The dumb leading the blind

May 13, 2021 - Director in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

New leadership every 2 years so if you hate your boss, don't worry a new one will be coming soon.

Cons

Univar cannot get out of their own way. Just read a review from a HR leader who claimed a pro was new PTO unlimited program but then stated in the Con that you are not allowed to take any PTO. This is the problem with a company that states together we win but lays off a ton of people. A company that states we are serious about safety but hasn't invested in safety in a long time. A company that talks about diversity but is run by old white men and women. A company that has numerous lawsuits pending against them for unfair labor practices but talks about treating others with respect. A company that laid off good tenure people but gave executives bonuses and more stock. This is not a good company.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company Culture

May 11, 2021 - Director of Human Resources in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, open communication, lots of room for growth, new PTO plan for exempt employees is unlimited

Cons

Over communication from corporate on initiatives that don’t apply to everyone. Employees in operations jobs are not able to take much vacation time due to work demands

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Run Away, Not Worth The Stress

Apr 17, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

A few cool coworkers, wfh option (temporarily), okay direct manager, some staff and sales team at other locations were nice and great to work with

Cons

Tons of favoritism, only care about bottom line, left to clean up others messes that should have been dealt with months ago, as soon as your are settled into your routine get ready for a shakeup, corporate is all smiles when the lights and camera are rolling but there are serious issues that need to be dealt with all the way up the chain. Overloaded and underpaid.

Univar Solutions

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback and acknowledging your co-workers. We have very exciting things going on in our Shared Service Organization which will make us easier to do business with and define a clear career path for our team members. All the best in your next chapter!

6. 3.0
      Current Employee

Going though major growing pains

Jan 6, 2021 - Business Process Expert
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great people, great people. When the going gets tough the staff is extremely dedicated to their jobs and are willing to put in excessive hours to get the job done. It’s not hard to find a great team who has your back if you’re willing to put in the effort. Simply if you don’t want to work - don’t work at Univar. There is room for advancement but don’t expect significant raises without upward movement. If you get hired here, it’s stable company because of the diversity of its products/services. Univar seems to be here for the long run.

Cons

The company is going though growing pains with the acquisition of Nexeo. Much of the staff who has been there for years was/is getting laid off if they aren’t willing to relocate to a few central locations. This means many unexperienced new hires. The new culture at Univar is that you are simply a number hired to do a task - not much loyalty. Univar also runs an extremely tight staff which means lots OT opportunity if hourly, if you are salary you are still expected to put in the hours for no additional compensation.

Univar Solutions

Thanks for your feedback. We continue to strive to be the most-valued chemical and ingredient distribution company on the planet. We want to be easy to do business with, so we're constantly looking for ways to improve our processes. With new benefits like our Flexible Time Off program, we encourage our employees to maintain a healthy work/life balance. We appreciate your dedication to Univar Solutions!

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

OK to hold you over

May 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Close to Denver for good commute

Cons

Too rigid, not any room for growth

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic Work Culture and Low Employee Satisfaction

Apr 23, 2021 - Finance in Dublin, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

401k match and contribution; good health benefits

Cons

This company does not invest in their current employees. There is no investment in providing growth opportunities, professional development, tech programs, certificates or anything of the sort. High performing employees will not receive correlating compensation increases; they will only receive higher work loads and more stress. Low employee satisfaction surveys will yield no real changes, improvements, or even inquiries into what employees what or need from the company. Though OT is stated to be rare during hiring process, in reality OT is expected for about 1hr/day plus weekends, company holidays, national holidays as the manager decides. This includes full Saturdays at the whim of the department manager. More than half of our full time employees (not including contractors) have left in the past two months. Instead of seeing leadership develop and implement changes for employee satisfaction, they instead expect the rest of the team to work long hours and weekends to make up for the lost labor. There is extremely low morale and burn out among the remaining team members. There is no incentive or motivation from the company for us to give up our personal time and work-life balance. The company does not care about their employees’ wellness and satisfaction; the company only cares about its bottom line. Terrible, toxic work culture that expects you to give up your personal time (esp. during a pandemic!) to work long hours and not receive bonuses or even qualified annual increases. There is immense stress and pressure placed on employees to complete as much work as possible. It is all very toxic and employee morale reflects it.

4 people found this review helpful

Univar Solutions

First, thanks for your 1+ year of dedication to Univar Solutions. We're sorry to hear that your experience with us has been challenging. We take pride in being a place Where People Matter, and it is very important to us that our employees have a work/life balance. We recognize there are requests to work Saturdays and some OT in this area in order to help train our new team members. This is a short term request to prepare for the work to be more evenly distributed across multiple teams instead of just one. We have shared your candid feedback with the respective leadership team, but we also encourage you to connect with your local HR Business Partner to voice your concerns.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee

Cubicle smoking

May 11, 2021 - Custodian
      Business Outlook

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Crazy girl smoking her vape in the cubicle next to me. Terrible HR and management.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

What a mistake you’ve made

Dec 3, 2020 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have LOVED my time with Univar for the past couple years. I have a wonderful team, manager, pay is ok, and acceptable benefits. Up until about August that is.

Cons

The extremely poor choice to merge with LN and lay off hundreds and hundreds of valuable employees, to hire contractors in their place. What a shame. Your customers aren’t pleased. Your contractors are beyond over worked and under trained. Thus dropping like flies. Your new customer solutions “supervisors” in Dublin are AWFUL. I mean I have never spoken with less competent, less willing to help supervisors in my life. If I was reporting to them I’d quit too, like many of the contractors have. Do they honestly find themselves that self important? It is mind blowing that Univar would drag their customers and LOYAL employees on like this. Surely they can tell how little we feel valued as of late. Customer service week was a joke back in October. $22 gift cards mostly geared towards contractors. The overall morale for your long term employees from customer service to ops to transportation is just depleted. A company where people matter???

7 people found this review helpful

Univar Solutions

Thanks for being a committed employee at Univar Solutions. As a member of the Customer Service team, you play a vital role in our business. We value your contributions and strive to be a place where the best people want to work. As such, we do our best to align roles and responsibilities; a great deal of market data and research is involved in that process. Please reach out to your manager and HRBP if your concerns continue. Rest assured, your feedback will be shared with the appropriate leaders to ensure employees, contractors, and customers have a positive experience.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 675 Reviews