Univar Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Univar Solutions Reviews

Updated Jan 22, 2020

3.1
Univar Solutions President and CEO David Jukes (no image)
David Jukes
  1. Featured Review

"It keeps getting better!"

Current Employee - Manager in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Univar Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Developing a fantastic shared services footprint for our colleagues with the best people, energy, enthusiasm, and so many improvements underway. Great investment!

Cons

While necessary, the pace of change can be challenging But the rewards are worth the battle.

Advice to Management

Keep the strategy, keep valuing the people, and keep hiring leaders with experience and drive. Keep stability at the top to support the teams. Keep the trust you are building.

Univar Solutions2019-10-12
  2. "Really enjoy working here"

Current Employee - Lead in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Univar Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I really enjoy the team that works for me and the shift. Management at all levels is active in the common goal.

Cons

None as of right now

Univar Solutions2020-01-21
  3. "A place where people want to help customer succeed."

Current Employee - Air Officer

I have been working at Univar Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people tend to care for their customers and work as a team to accomplish goals

Cons

There is always a lot of change happening here, strategies, structures, and overall people movement. No matter how many hours you put in there is always more you could be doing.

Univar Solutions2020-01-23
  4. "Not a place where they "do what they say""

Former Employee - Customer Service in Dallas, TX

I worked at Univar Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, co-workers, safety, recognition programs

Cons

Leadership, turnover, career development, culture

Advice to Management

Company mantra is "we do what we say" but that isn't always the case. Instead, it should be we "mostly" do what we say, or we "sometimes" do what we say. Management has great initiatives but follow through is not so great, especially on a branch/local level. New corporate structure is eliminating a lot of valuable employees and moving job functions to central locations with inexperienced employees. Knowledge share is almost non-existent and it's no longer valuable to be a veteran employee. Salary increases are lower than cost of living and the only way to advance salary is promotion to another position. Turn-over is at an all-time high while morale is at an all-time low. Corporate offices are sleek and updated while plants/offices are outdated and in need of repair/updating. Leadership needs to spend more time/energy at the remote sites making sure those employees are also cultivated. Culture is a huge issue; the days of having fun at work are long gone.

Univar Solutions2020-01-18

"Amazing Opportunity and Company"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Univar Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture and opportunity that exists for those that show up to work every day and work hard is endless. Univar offers an inclusive atmosphere with programs for Veterans, LGBTQ, women and minorities. The list goes on and on. I was told during my interview that I was going to be part of building something special. Sure the workload is a lot, that's job security. The leadership team in my department care about me and I feel that daily. If micromanaging means doing their job and making sure we are working, well then, call it what you want. I was told in my interview that my experience would help drive learning in the department and it has. I have opportunities to learn daily. This is a professional site run by professional people. Several of us have been in AR a long time and know how to work independently and can learn on the fly. The day goes by fast and I feel accomplished at the end of the night. They are serious about safety. My first day on the job I watched a video about the main goal of the company is to ensure each of its employees makes it home to their families each night. We hear it in town halls and during meetings. This company is different. They practice what they preach. Safety, culture and rewards for success. We just had a team meeting rewarding my peer for his amazing service and ability to identify areas of improvement. Univar even told us on our first day that they encouraged walks, time off the phone because it was important to our own health to take a breather. My supervisor met with me and asked me to take time off this month if I wanted because he knew I had PTO to use and wanted me to spend time with my family. Thats what Univar is and does. I spend my day on the phones with my customers and feel accomplished figuring things out. I love this career I've chosen.

Cons

There are a few of my peers that do not want to come to work on time, want to call off and then complain when they come back that the workload is overwhelming. Of course it is, you've just missed several days and expect not to work. There are bad seeds in every department and I am glad to see most are being removed due to their own discord.

Advice to Management

This group of leaders is hard working, talented and experienced. Continue to drive results and hold those accountable that don't want to show up and work. Work from home one day a week would be nice to catch up on emails and spreadsheets for larger customer. Just a though.

Univar Solutions2019-12-14
  6. "Great place to gain knowledge and learn how do do your job effectively."

Former Employee - Finace in Redmond, WA

I worked at Univar Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Constant growth with new challenges everyday to keep you motivated.

Cons

Extreme burn out of operations staff due to leadership's constant cost cutting and doing more with less.

Univar Solutions2020-01-10
  7. "Disposable Employees"

Former Employee - ENVIRONMENTAL TECH II in Houston, TX

I worked at Univar Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perks included lap top, iPhone, p-card, travel & entertainment account, uniforms, PTO, benefits. Progressive in keeping up with latest technology.

Cons

Management making decisions about your future employment status and keeping you in the dark about it. Not actually lying but withholding the truth.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with employee and value them. The company has invested time and resources in the employee and the employee should not be put to the curb like yesterday’s trash. Find a place for them in the company if their position was eliminated.

Univar Solutions2019-12-27

"Concerns about notting adding head count."

Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Morrisville, PA

I worked at Univar Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Consistent work, there are no slow periods. Will not have to worry about layoffs.

Cons

Resistance to add operations personnel. This leads to excessive overtime and overworking employees.

Univar Solutions2019-12-15
  9. "Glad to join an industry leader"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Univar Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

So many opportunities, friendly employees, and leadership who listen

Cons

No cons noted at this time

Univar Solutions2019-12-03

"Run far far away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Univar Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

I wish I could state pros. No amount of pay is worth this

Cons

We were lied to by management at interview was told no micromanagement, trying to build an employee driven culture with flexible work schedules work from home etc. this is so not true quite the opposite. Managers are constantly walking by to ensure you are working while they goof off. The work load and goals are completely unattainable. Managers are reactive as opposed to proactive. We are constantly putting out fires. There is no work life balance. No positive feed back. Only negative brow beating. Hey management that’s not how you motivate a worker. It creates the opposite effect. You are running out your good employees. But then again I don’t think you care.

Advice to Management

You can turn this around. Start to truly value your employees. Use their experience. Stop with the micromanagement. Praise your employees efforts Come up with a plan to combat issues don’t just put out the fire with a garden hose. Stop loading your employees with a workload that is unmanageable.

Univar Solutions2019-12-14