Universal Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Universal Companies Reviews

Updated Aug 6, 2019

Found 35 reviews

2.7
Universal Companies CEO Rahim Islam (no image)
Rahim Islam
  1. "Managers perspective"

I have been working at Universal Companies full-time

Pros

25 Years of providing quality services to its clients

Cons

Multi-faceted organization with many diciplines

Universal Companies2018-08-09
  2. "good"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Universal Companies full-time

Pros

flexibility, the principal is nice

Cons

communication is not sufficient enough

Universal Companies2019-08-06

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Universal Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have the potential for a lot of freedom in developing your talents as a teacher, the pay is solid and usually is slightly higher than the district, and the benefits are solid. If you can teach at these schools you can teach anywhere... they tend to be some of the rougher schools in the city. The students tend to be good people who are seeking an education, you just have to get them to trust you first. You will... tend to find that a good portion of the staff members can be great to work with.

Cons

I gave myself a lot of time before writing this... - You will be working for a company that has the appearance of wanting to make positive change within their community, but the management and administration completely lack the vision and leadership to make that change happen. It appears as if they don't care about their employees, or students - Nepotism runs rampant. The level at which this company showcases... poor ethical standards is depressing. There is potential here, but it seems to be a place that just desires to provide opportunities for those on the 'in.' It's best to stay low and avoid conflict with specific people in the company - Lackluster professional development opportunities. - Potential for Toxic Work Environment ... the level of fraternizing that results in rumors and spreading of false information runs rampant throughout the company. There are no secrets - Outward appearance of Restorative Justice Practices ... central office demands principals meet specific numbers with suspensions ... but it seems they refuse to assist with providing legitimate Restorative Practices that improve the behavior and experiences of the offenders - Teacher blaming ... teachers get blamed for what seems to be everything. Rarely are staff and teachers properly shown appreciation - Lack of structure and minimal accountability of students - Minimal support - Last minute changes forced from corporate - Multiple board members un-ethical practices being exposed by FBI. I haven't heard anything else about the incidents, which leads me to believe this case will be bigger than expected. - Many teachers, staff, and administrators are pointlessly overworked - Tremendous lack of communication, everything seems last minute - Poor financial management - Teacher/Staff Retainment Issues

Advice to Management

1. Remove all board members who have conflicts of interest 2. Ethically monitor your finances (based on how money flows throughout the company it appears like you are using the schools like 'Shell Companies.' Pay your debts! 3. Have a clear vision and direction that the company should be going in. The "21st Century" statements clearly seem to be a guise, help the schools achieve those goals. 4. Utilize... legitimate Restorative Justice practices across the entire system 5. Support your teachers AND administrators 6. Promote a legitimate positive work culture 7. Start engaging with the community in more authentic ways. You have empty buildings throughout the city that could be used to highlight the positive things that are happening. 8. Retain high-quality teachers/staff - develop a program to keep teachers/staff. You waste a tremendous amount of money/resources when you consistently hire bad teachers/staff while watching good ones leave. Retaining high-quality teachers and legitimately supporting and improving underperforming teachers will also lead to far greater results academically. 9. Support your students. Many students will preach the phrase, 'this isn't a school.' 10. Just do your job to improve lives. Right now, you are merely re-creating the status quo for many underserved students. I would have to say this organization is nothing more than smoke and mirrors

Universal Companies2019-07-16
  4. "Work"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Universal Companies full-time

Pros

Great staff & opportunities for growth

Cons

Stressful but has it’s benefits

Universal Companies2019-06-07
  5. "Love My Principal."

Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Universal Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues; middle level admin helps create a data informed environment; building strong traditions and a culture of learning

Cons

Upper level administration seems unorganized (central office). HR is traditionally difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

In my building, I’d say we need work on building up solid ways to address student needs. We need more sustainable systems to address issues and concerns.

Universal Companies2019-04-09
  6. "Tough Urban Environment"

I have been working at Universal Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, nice teachers/co-workers

Cons

Overworked, poor communication, little support from administration, no student discipline policy followed through

Universal Companies2019-02-08
  7. "Assistant teacher position"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Phila, PA

I worked at Universal Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved the school environment. The unity was great

Cons

Need more assistance for growth

Universal Companies2018-07-07
  8. "Don’t do it."

Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Universal Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

The students at this school are what you would expect working in an urban environment. However, they will be respectful toward you if you have strong classroom management and show that you care about them. Salary is above average and benefits are good. There are some teachers who genuinely care about changing things for the kids but it’s hard to do when admin doesn’t feel the same.

Cons

The principal is awful to work for. Not sure what he does, but supporting his teachers and students is not it. The kids run the school, there’s no consequences for extreme behaviors. Principal constantly contradicts himself with what he wants done/how. You will never be told anything positive even if you do the best job. Most of the people that work here are his family and if you are not in it, you will be treated... poorly. No work life balance. You are given sick days but written up if you use them. Definitely don’t recommend working here if you have children.

Advice to Management

Hire quality leaders who actually care about changing things for the kids.

Universal Companies2018-07-06
  9. "Worse over time"

I have been working at Universal Companies full-time

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Some good colleagues

Cons

Nepotism, Favoritism, Bullying, Gossiping, Fraternization, Inappropriateness, lack of professionalism, poor policies and procedures, inconsistency, ever changing initiatives and priorities, more concerned with test scores than knowledge. Absolutely no work-life balance. Not recommended for people with children or significant others.

Advice to Management

Corporate should offer leadership training to school leadership.

Universal Companies2018-02-27
  10. "Teacher at one of the Elementary Schools"

I have been working at Universal Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Trial by fire. If you can manage this chaos, you can handle most anything. Good benefits and Salary, annual raises. Good Time off.

Cons

Administration is constantly changing in the school. Lack of delegation so admin is overworked and things are done poorly, or forgotten. Lack of consideration for how changes will effect the teachers and students. High Turnover and low morale.

Advice to Management

We need people who are there for the kids, not for the company. We need to build on what is working and respect the opinions of staff and teachers, so they will actually stay.

Universal Companies2017-12-14