Universal Health Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Turn and run!"

Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Jacksonville, NC
    Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Jacksonville, NC

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any besides the few times we have opportunities to help the patients

Cons

Extremely low pay. Techs are treated like they do not matter. Most of us have undergraduate degrees yet they still treat us like imbeciles. Dangerous work environment. High patient to staff ratios. Management only cares when corporate or state is here. Favoritism is rampant regardless of how hard you work. They work the good workers to death and discard them like yesterday's trash if they dare complain. Management cares only about the bottom line. Very unethical ways to make patients have increased stays and "run their insurance out" Truly horrific morally and ethically

Advice to Management

Your turn over rate wouldn't be so high if you actually treated your staff with the slightest bit of respect or empathy for the situations you put them in. Higher pay for dangerous work.
    Could go on but as most of is know, management couldn't care less about their floor employees

2. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Enid, OK
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Enid, OK

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has good benefits and decent pay, they hire competent workers and seem to encourage staff members to give input in certain areas.

Cons

Administration constantly looking to make cuts, and it is always focused on staff, and cutting staff positions. Too many redundant upper management positions. Also the people making decisions affecting the floor staff typically have never worked or worked very little on the floor and are out of touch.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting the floor staff short, look elsewhere for budget cuts, the nursing staff are the backbone

3. "Disappointed again and again"

I worked at Universal Health Services part-time

Pros

The employees are great to work with.

Cons

No leadership or accountability, no competitive pay, poor relationships between nursing staff and physicians.

"Patient Account Representative who was sad to leave :-("

Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in Murrieta, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in Murrieta, CA

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive management and upper management. Always helpful, and knowledgeable. Departments work together and communicate well with one another to resolve patient issues. Good pay. Debbie Zepeda and Diane Acheff are top notch supervision! I genuinely enjoyed my time with the company. It was a great team atmosphere!

Cons

Just like any other position there will be some things you do not like. I think the only con would be short lunch breaks but I still consider this to be something trivial.

Advice to Management

Continue to be supportive of the staff and continue to be awesome at what you do!

5. "NICE PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Denton, TX

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are good to their employees, and really work with you on family life situations.

Cons

They could meet compensation to other industry standards.

6. "Manager Biomedical Services"

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time

Pros

Good support system and resources

Cons

Tight margins, top heavy management, turnover

Advice to Management

Need free thinkers

7. "Unsupportive management"

Former Employee - Clinician in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Clinician in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is fair for hospital work
    Quality nurses

Cons

Unsupportive management
    Constant pressure to meet ridiculous productivity demands
    Extremely high turnover of staff for all positions

Advice to Management

Care about more than money

"For profit and it shows"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Plymouth, IN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Plymouth, IN

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck and PTO builds pretty quickly.

Cons

I took a significant pay cut from my previous job.
    Management is good for deflecting the concerns of the unit/floor staff. You'll feel as though you're not being listened to.
    The first shift nurses genuinely believe they are superior to the second shift nurses and therefore treat them poorly.
    The units are small and dangerous. They don't care about acuity or safety of staff- it's only about filling beds. Until there's at least 18 patients on a unit, the unit is run by just one nurse and 1 to 2 unskilled laborers.
    Staff are legitimately defenseless. Restraint free facility that admits aggressive, sometimes outright violent patients. Staff can only employ "CPI" which are a couple of holds designed to be gentle on the patient who is attacking the staff, and then the 11-page packet and camera review policy makes it feel like you're being punished for resorting to defending yourself.
    Paper trailing here is insane. Serious overdocumentation. If the mental health techs complain that the nurses hide behind the desk and don't even interact with the patients, it's because the nurses are required to write a full biography on each of our acute patients on a daily basis.
    Management wants staff to be more individualized in patient treatment plans, but the facility itself mixes depression, alcohol withdraw, opiate withdraw, intermittent explosive disorder, bipolar mania, psychosis and schizophrenia altogether on one unit.
    High turnover rate due to all of the above.

Advice to Management

Quit lying about how great your facilities are, because they're truly a disgrace and are a reflection of how ignorant upper management is concerning how ethical the patient care within their facilities actually is.

9. "Interviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Being able to make a difference

Cons

Handling difficult situations in the hospital

Advice to Management

understanding

10. "Prairie St. John's - Fargo, ND"

Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Fargo, ND

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great resume builder and learning experience

Cons

If you aren't friends with the right people, you are treat like an outcast.

Advice to Management

People need more motivation to stay employed as a Tech. This position does so much and gets talked down to constantly