Universal Health Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Unsupportive management"

Former Employee - Clinician in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Clinician in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is fair for hospital work
    Quality nurses

Cons

Unsupportive management
    Constant pressure to meet ridiculous productivity demands
    Extremely high turnover of staff for all positions

Advice to Management

Care about more than money

"Mental Health technician"

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time

Pros

good experience working with kids

Cons

not paid enough for the stress

"Administrative Associate"

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time

Pros

Very professional and ethical company. I am so impressed with their ability to interface with all of their employees regardless of being such a large company. There is an incredible amount of support and resources to ensure that our patients get the care that they deserve.

Cons

There could be more user-friendly technology, but I think that is in the works.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"For profit and it shows"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Plymouth, IN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Plymouth, IN

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck and PTO builds pretty quickly.

Cons

I took a significant pay cut from my previous job.
    Management is good for deflecting the concerns of the unit/floor staff. You'll feel as though you're not being listened to.
    The first shift nurses genuinely believe they are superior to the second shift nurses and therefore treat them poorly.
    The units are small and dangerous. They don't care about acuity or safety of staff- it's only about filling beds. Until there's at least 18 patients on a unit, the unit is run by just one nurse and 1 to 2 unskilled laborers.
    Staff are legitimately defenseless. Restraint free facility that admits aggressive, sometimes outright violent patients. Staff can only employ "CPI" which are a couple of holds designed to be gentle on the patient who is attacking the staff, and then the 11-page packet and camera review policy makes it feel like you're being punished for resorting to defending yourself.
    Paper trailing here is insane. Serious overdocumentation. If the mental health techs complain that the nurses hide behind the desk and don't even interact with the patients, it's because the nurses are required to write a full biography on each of our acute patients on a daily basis.
    Management wants staff to be more individualized in patient treatment plans, but the facility itself mixes depression, alcohol withdraw, opiate withdraw, intermittent explosive disorder, bipolar mania, psychosis and schizophrenia altogether on one unit.
    High turnover rate due to all of the above.

Advice to Management

Quit lying about how great your facilities are, because they're truly a disgrace and are a reflection of how ignorant upper management is concerning how ethical the patient care within their facilities actually is.

"License clinical Social Worker"

Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

diverse populations of clients treated

Cons

poor management, inconsistent role expectations

Advice to Management

pay people better and more clearly define roles

"Not even as a last resort"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck? I really can't think of anything more than that.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch with staff, there's so much favoritism that it's sickening, everything is done with paper and pen so you write the same thing over and over then are questioned for 'getting nothing done', the RN turnover rate is extremely high because RN's are treated like techs, and there's a very, very large issue with medical ethics within this establishment.

Advice to Management

Review the current ethical and legal ways of doing things- your turnover wouldn't be quite so high if you weren't asking nurses to risk their license for your 'policies'.

7. "Extremely Dangerous Environment"

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no IEPs to write, no lesson plans, no high stakes testing like in public school.

Cons

The kids are very aggressive, hate school and are limited to writing with crayons or golf pencils. There is no interest by management in the educational aspect of the program. They just do it because they are required to. There were virtually no supplies to work with. They wanted me to pretty much just give the kids worksheets to complete. Most of them can't read or read at many, many grade levels lower than they should. The physicians are condescending. The techs see school time as a time for them to take a break even though they are supposed to be in the room with you. You will work all holidays. The pay is significantly less than public schools. I finally had enough the third time I was attacked. I had complained to management the previous two times (everything is on camera) and nothing was ever done. If I stayed I know I would have ended up being hurt badly and the most that I would get would be worker's comp. The most the kid would get would be an extra day in the hospital. They know that there are no consequences while they are in the hospital. If they attacked a teacher in a regular school they would go to jail. I have worked in psych hospitals in the past and never saw anything so disorganized and a complete disregard for the safety of the employees. Despite it being a hospital the units tend to be a very macho environment and are pretty much run by the techs.

Advice to Management

Clearly you have a hard time finding and keeping teachers. You are competing against public schools for special education teachers, who are in demand. You need to make the compensation package and the environment attractive in order to be competitive. Teachers are used to holidays and summers off. You pay less and have teachers work year round.

8. "Mental Health Tech"

Former Employee - Mental Health Technician in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Mental Health Technician in Champaign, IL

I worked at Universal Health Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The facility in Champaign, IL was in great condition, the process for hiring and learning the new position was smooth, I felt a sense of community with the events that were thrown for staff on holidays, and the expectations were manageable and clear.

Cons

Sometimes you were switched units when you arrived.

"HR"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Jackson, MS

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting New People in various departments and assisting with patients. Those were the only pros with the UHS-MS company that I was employed.

Cons

HRD does not know how to run the department and does not care about others learning/growing. Things have gotten so bad.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees who know what's going on. HRD is always on a power trip and does not give good pay recognition when individuals receives their degrees or licenses. Most places give 2-5 dollars, HRD gives .50-.80 cents. HRD always think she is right and does not listen to others ideas. Employee morale is very low and patients are constantly discharging.

"Run, run, run don't do it, even if you are desperate for money, DONT!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL.

Cons

Management is a click. NOT a professional environment at all and if you don't brown nose you will be fired. HR is a fraud, the lies from that department should be looked into. She smiles in your face, telling you she has your back because she even admits something is wrong then is the first one to run and help them, write you up. It was draining to work for these people, the worse mistake of my life. And no I'm not a angry employee, trust me they are the worse, Im very surprised they are still open.

Advice to Management

Admit when you are wrong and keep hard working staff. They stick together and will NEVER EVER ADMIT WHEN THEY ARE WRONG!!!