Universal Orlando Resort Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Universal Orlando Resort CEO Bill Davis
Bill Davis

Pros
  • Great benefits and plenty of fun (in 34 reviews)

• You become Family with fellow Team Members (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay considering other similar jobs in the area pay much more (in 25 reviews)

• As previously mentioned, pay is not the best if it is your full-time job (in 16 reviews)

1. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy summer job or side job

Cons

goes nowhere, very slow to promote

2. "OK But Needs Training & Management Help"

Former Employee - Door Host in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Door Host in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free park tickets and parking, discounted merchandise, discounted food at CityWalk and parks, even part time employees can get dental and eye coverage for cheap. Other workers are friendly and helpful. Lunch vouchers. Shoe vouchers. Always found wardrobe and HR/benefits employees super nice and helpful.

Cons

Doesn't matter how hard you work, 99% of management won't notice or care. They were very inflexible about changing availability. If you work in CityWalk you're going to be at a huge disadvantage during orientation. No one will take you to where you park and only give a vague print out on how to find it. You have to find wardrobe by yourself over there. Doesn't matter the location, you'll never see it during orientation unlike other jobs within the older parks. Once there the managers are generally too busy to say more than hello to you. I met one three times in a row because he kept forgetting he'd already met me. Schedule was slow to come out. Was supposed to be posted on Thursday, but usually I had to ask on Saturday night what my schedule was because it still wasn't out and the new week started the next day. It's very busy so they'll either work you very hard, but as soon as it slows a little it's hard to get any shifts. Some costumes are ridiculous and need to be simplified with better shoes. Just overall a lot of inconsistency and apathy.

Advice to Management

Work on a more involved orientation for your workers out in CityWalk. More flexibility in availability. Drop the Mary Jane and High Heels required for some costumes. Seriously supportive, comfortable shoes should be mandatory for high volume work places where a worker never sits. Management has a course to learn the big bosses faces in case they come in to eat, but they forget their own workers they see every day. That's a huge problem. The little guy is important too. Better management in general is needed.

3. "About what you expect"

Current Employee - Team Captain in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Team Captain in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, park tickets, discounts.

Cons

Work various shifts, frequently understaffed.

5. "Great Culture and Schedule for College Students"

Former Employee - Event Guide in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Event Guide in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with a great team in the park, with busy months over summer break and fewer hours during school semesters.

Cons

Pay is low, that's the nature of the job. Only those in the corporate offices and leadership make enough to really make a living. But if you're in school, it will help pay the bills.

"Guest Services Coordinator"

Current Employee - Guest Service Coordinator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Service Coordinator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a part time (Casual) employee I believe the perks are the best part. I do not see any reason why someone would be unsatisfied with the amount of tickets and discounts we get working here. They truly celebrate the team at Universal and you will always feel like you're being recognized.

Cons

They force the Diversity and Inclusion a little too much for me, personally. I am more of a person who feels that we don't have to broadcast that we except everyone for their differences. We are all humans but it gets uncomfortable at times. The point system also doesn't truly reflect the team members reliability.

Advice to Management

Management can often times be more about the numbers and lack in team member focus.

7. "Good for college kids and people with a second income"

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Orlando, FL

Pros

Fun atmosphere, getting paid time and a half for several holidays throughout the year, attendance is based off of a point system so you know exactly where you stand with the company when it comes to whether you've called off or have been late too many times

Cons

No chance for overtime, hired on full-time but only get scheduled 32-34 hours a week(and I have full open availability), varying schedule every week

Advice to Management

Please schedule more hours in the week and for the one time a year you do offer overtime, please stick to it and not take it away after we've been scheduled for it. Also, a more consistent schedule would be very beneficial too for those of us who have to get a second job because we can't live off the wages from just working at Universal.

8. "I loved working here , but after a year of working in a department that i DID NOT apply for , I hated it"

Former Contractor - Park Services in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Park Services in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

everyone is friendly , the guest are awesome , see all the smiles and laughs

Cons

management for park services is very poor after you bring up a problem could use a new managet

Advice to Management

after a year of working here management of park services started cutting my hours to one day a week because they didn't like me while i was one of the top workers there . To protect a manager I was blamed for my low points after a manager failed to document my request for 3 months. I've tried picking up shifts on my day off plys with doing so would NOT put me over time and thet were always denied , for no reason .

9. "Was a fun place to work"

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fringe benefits, depending on the project you are on it can be an interesting job

Cons

Management has changed and there is no HR support. It's all about the $ and not really about the experience.

Advice to Management

Check with the little people if you want to know what is really happening. Empower your people to do the best they can.

"Food Cart Cashier"

Former Employee - Food Cart Cashier in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Food Cart Cashier in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Entrance into parks with ID - free employee meal per shift, free uniforms, 1 free pair of work shoes per year

Cons

Outside in heat, sometimes cart has fan sometimes not. Long never ending lines of customers makes it hard to even take a sip of water when working so long out in the heat. Very harsh on hands as required to wash hands in pull out tiny cart sink every 30 minutes and sign off on it plus hard to make time for that requirement too with the long never ending lines. So busy and very often stressful for barely over minimum wage pay and a lot of details to attend to like putting thermometers in food, making sure stocker writes down correct amounts of product he is adding, besides the constant questions and inquiries from customers and constant refillable soda cups to fill. And then there is the language barrier of guests who can speak no or barely any English and those who hold out a handful of coins for you to do the work of adding up all their change for them because they are clueless about USA coins. Sometimes all that isn't as bad as dealing with the "meal deal / meal value" cards - they only have certain amounts of snacks and drinks on those cards and many times don't understand how it works or what they have left on them and then get upset when they can't get what they want - so these meal value cards have a hold up time and hassle of their own and take up a lot of time straightening them out and checking balances. Sometimes because the customer gets upset then they will get an food credit put back on it by management - but this takes having to pause and call a shift leader or manager out to do it.
    For having to work outside in heat the requirement of having to always wear a visor around head is uncomfortable and hot. This department has a lot of constant turnover in employees and management. This is an okay job for college students and those with no job experience just starting out, maybe some retired people. I stuck it out for awhile but would never go back to it.

11. "Fun Job, Great Pay Depending On Job Position, Free Tickets!"

Current Employee - Park Services in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Park Services in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tickets,
    Great Pay,
    Happy & Fun Environment,
    Halloween Horror Nights!
    Respect & Teamwork

Cons

* No Vegan Food! (Salad, Hummus, Fruits, & Several Types of Chips Is All They Have Considered Vegan) long story short --> Ate at Universal Studios Bitros Garden Burger after being told that it was (VEGAN = Nothing That Comes From An Animal; including Cheese, Milk, Eggs) for 3 months straight, decided to eat at Islands Of Adventure Big Break Room, Where they are more attentive to allergies, and/or Specific diets, while talking to an employee who is vegetarian, the cook who took my order overheard and told me that the garden burger had mozzarella Cheese & other Dairy ingredients in it. feeling sick, & throwing up wasn't enough for them, only received an " I'm Sorry, We Will Make Sure Our Cooks Are More Aware Of The Ingredients In The Food "

* wont accept any type of doctor's excuse unless missed 7 days or more of your work/scheduled shifts.

if working park services, don't let the supervisors bully you verbally.
    Note: after 3 - 6 months of working for park services, if trying to request morning shifts, you might end up being told its best to resign because the elderly people who have worked years in universal studios work morning shift and it would be wrong to take a morning shift from one of them.

B.S Excuses... Take my word on it or see for yourself - " such a universal/magical place to work at, huh? "