Universal Service Administrative Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 30, 2019

Found 130 reviews

2.8
Radha Sekar
Pros
  • "USAC offers good work life balance and benefits(in 25 reviews)

• "at USAC I can see directly the impact that the work I and the organization accomplish makes a difference in people’s lives(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "USAC organized events are boring compared to the old companies I used to work for(in 17 reviews)

• "This decrease in USAC’s rating began with the appointment of its new CEO(in 9 reviews)

1. "Good Opportunity"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a good opportunity to work and gain experience, they have lots of events revolved around community bonding which is nice.

Cons

Instructions are not always clear even after asking for clarification, so sometimes you have to figure it out on your own.

Universal Service Administrative Company2018-11-16
  2. "data mining and data analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

good company to work with

Cons

not so good of an environment

Universal Service Administrative Company2019-07-31
  3. "Great stepping stone company"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits unheard off, work/life balance is great!

Cons

Leadership is horrible and favortism at its finest.

Advice to Management

Start hiring qualified employees, learn how to keep them and get rid off the unqualified one.

Universal Service Administrative Company2019-07-26

"Historically great company, but heading in the wrong direction"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits package is USAC’s main attraction. They offer quality medical, dental, and vision all for only $5 per month. They also contribute 11% of your salary to your 401k regardless of whether you choose to contribute personally. Plus those employer contributions vest immediately. Salaries are relatively competitive as well. There are a few great teams within USAC that really shine. The trick is finding those...

Cons

Frankly, there are several cons, so I’ll just focus on what I consider to be the root causes behind many of USAC’s current problems. As of the date this review, USAC’s overall glassdoor score is approximately 2.7, which is down from a high of about 3.6 towards the end of 2017. This decrease in USAC’s rating began with the appointment of its new CEO. She made several unpopular policy decisions when she began her tenure,...

Advice to Management

Revise your recruiting and termination practices to make it easier to bring in and retain quality personnel. Really listen to employee feedback rather than brush off their concerns. It also may be worth considering if the current CEO is the right fit. She appears to have a rigid authoritarian management style that has not traditionally been the style of past CEOs.

Universal Service Administrative Company2019-06-27

Universal Service Administrative Company Response

July 19, 2019Sr. HR Manager

Thank you for your comment and we are happy to hear that you appreciate the USAC benefits package. We value our employees and feel it’s important that we have a benefit plan that supports the needs of our workforce. Our goal is to create an environment where employees feel passionate ...

5. "Poor"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not much to talk about.

Cons

Leadership - wow, lots of room for improvement.

Universal Service Administrative Company2019-07-03

"Work with no expectation and you will be happy"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

Pros

Good Benefits and less work pressure. Few teams are working on good projects. If you are lucky to land on those projects then it's a good place to learn some good technologies.

Cons

A good place to work if you want to retire here or have no interest in growth.

Universal Service Administrative Company2019-05-15

"Good worklife balance and benefits, not good for growth"

Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

USAC offers good work life balance and benefits. Benefits are excellent. You could get really good experience working with many types of telecommunication carriers and learn and apply new Rules.

Cons

The management is not very flexible to change or new ideas. Growth is limited. A lot of changes going on with the new CEO on board.

Advice to Management

Be innovative and flexible.

Universal Service Administrative Company2019-03-26

"Good benefits and worklife balance"

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

One of the best benefits I have seen in my 10 year career(including generous commuter, education and training benefit). Pay is competitive. Good work life balance

Cons

Not much upward mobility. Work could be more challenging and connected to the mission of the program. Most of the time it's processing paperwork, and clicking buttons. Most staff have been there for decades. Not so open to change.

Universal Service Administrative Company2019-01-12

"Reactive Not Proactive"

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

Benefits are always the top reason. Recent company growth has lead to increased opportunities.

Cons

The management and atmosphere is almost always reactive. They fail to plan ahead which leads to tight deadlines and rushed projects. Recently in the company’s internal employee survey their solution to improve in areas from last year that did not score well was to remove those questions from the survey.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive

Universal Service Administrative Company2018-12-07

"Great Benefits, Not Challenging Work"

Former Employee - Assistant Program Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

The benefits were incredible, the best I've had at any employer. Besides the benefits, the compensation was decent for a non-profit and the work-life balance was nice. Most employees did not take their work home with them and were generally upbeat and enjoyed coming to work.

Cons

As you can tell by the name of the company, the work was very administrative. This is not the place to work if you are looking to be challenged or make an impact in day-to-day operations of the company. There was also very little room for advancement. It did not matter if you were doing a stellar job or not, management positions were only available if someone left or if there was a big need to create a position.

Advice to Management

Work on a career-pathing structure in order to keep good employees motivated and incentivized.

Universal Service Administrative Company2018-11-20