Universal Service Administrative Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 6, 2018

2.7
Radha Sekar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance, flexible telecommute policies" (in 23 reviews)

• "great benefits and fair compensation" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Any work-life balance is dead, the CEO and Sr" (in 5 reviews)

• "Unfortunately, the opportunity to change this was squandered by the new CEO with ineffective new hires to the leadership team" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good Opportunity"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a good opportunity to work and gain experience, they have lots of events revolved around community bonding which is nice.

Cons

Instructions are not always clear even after asking for clarification, so sometimes you have to figure it out on your own.

2. "Reactive Not Proactive"

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

Benefits are always the top reason. Recent company growth has lead to increased opportunities.

Cons

The management and atmosphere is almost always reactive. They fail to plan ahead which leads to tight deadlines and rushed projects. Recently in the company’s internal employee survey their solution to improve in areas from last year that did not score well was to remove those questions from the survey.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive

3. "Great Benefits, Not Challenging Work"

Former Employee - Assistant Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits were incredible, the best I've had at any employer. Besides the benefits, the compensation was decent for a non-profit and the work-life balance was nice. Most employees did not take their work home with them and were generally upbeat and enjoyed coming to work.

Cons

As you can tell by the name of the company, the work was very administrative. This is not the place to work if you are looking to be challenged or make an impact in day-to-day operations of the company.

There was also very little room for advancement. It did not matter if you were doing a stellar job or not, management positions were only available if someone left or if there was a big need to create a position.

Advice to Management

Work on a career-pathing structure in order to keep good employees motivated and incentivized.

4. "Wonderful mission and people who care!"

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

Many people work their entire careers and never really get connected to the mission of the company/organization –at USAC I can see directly the impact that the work I and the organization accomplish makes a difference in people’s lives

Cons

all jobs have there cons but knowing I make a difference makes up for all of them

Nov 13, 2018

Thank you for your review! We’re happy to hear that you feel connected to our mission and the differences we are making in closing the connectivity gap across the U.S. Thank you for all you do here... More

"A Frustrating Work Environment With Many Improvement Opportunities"

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company (More than a year)

Pros

You'll notice a recurring theme in these reviews about the benefits being great, which they are. Easily the most generous 401(k) and insurance coverage you'll find.

This is a great place to work if you are the type of employee that has little interest in career advancement, doesn't want to be challenged by your work, wants to work a 35 hour week with great benefits and go home. It's almost impossible to get fired from this company.

The final Pro is that this organization is ripe for change. There is a tremendous amount of opportunity to transform the organization and improve how they do business and provide their much needed services.

Cons

The biggest issues facing USAC are its leadership team and its inability to effectively set and maintain a direction for the organization. The vast majority of people in management (and senior leadership) are woefully unequipped to lead. Most of the management staff are individuals that have been working at USAC for 10+ years (see pros for why this is a problem), were promoted based on time in seat, not on performance, and never developed (and have no interest in developing) the skills necessary to manage staff or make tough decisions. In addition, these same managers are not receptive to new ideas or changes from people brought in to help them and always take the "that's not how we do things here" approach. This attitude is most notable in the largest program, Schools and Libraries, where they are actively hostile to the rest of the organization, despite requiring the most help to improve and having the weakest leadership group.

The close-minded attitude trickles down from the senior leadership team's inability to make choices (simple or tough), support and reinforce those choices, and install a culture of accountability within the organization. The current CEO is an objectively smart individual, but struggles to set a clear direction for the organization and suffers from an inability to make a decision and commit to it for more than a few weeks, often leading to contradictory instruction.

Unfortunately, the opportunity to change this was squandered by the new CEO with ineffective new hires to the leadership team. The new CEO surrounded themselves with "yes men" colleagues from their time in government together and placed them in positions they do not have the skill sets to be successful in.

In addition to ineffective management, the company structure is very siloed and has no guidance on the comprehensive responsibilities for each department. The lack of corporate guidance allows each department to continue being siloed and promotes department leadership's "that's not our responsibility" attitude.

Advice to Management

If leadership actually cares about making improvements, take a hard look at the management layer of the company (including VPs) and perform a real evaluation on their talent and abilities. There are many individuals that either should be moved into different roles or no longer work at the company.

The culture of accountability that is so often referenced needs to start at the top. Don't be afraid to make hard choices and when you do, actually stand by those decisions to see them implemented.

Nov 14, 2018

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. Yes, our benefits do seem to be a recurring theme on Glassdoor. We are happy to see our employees consider them be a valuable part of their employment with... More

"Worst Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro here : Benefits, Benefits, Benefits!!!

Cons

With the new CEO in office, came new management. All the things that USAC was known for was thrown out of the window. There is absolutely no flexibility and Management has trust issues. They want to track each and every hour in a day. Some new Managers and Supervisors do not have people management experience. They want to micro manage and when you take responsibility to work extra hours to finish a task, they do not even care to acknowledge the effort you put in and doubt your credibility. There are some teams who value their employees and these new Managers need to learn a thing or two from them. If you dont care for benefits run away.

Advice to Management

Management needs to understand employees are responsible adults.

Nov 14, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback and I am sorry to hear of your negative experience here at USAC. We want USAC to be a place for our employees to not only feel they are taken care of through... More

"No Leadership, Wasteful Practices, Useless HR"

Current Employee - Program Analyst
    Current Employee - Program Analyst

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none. Don't let the benefits sway you. The lack of promotions and horrible leadership make the benefits mediocre.

Cons

Leadership is filled with childish imbeciles. Despite the degrees and certifications, management still doesn't know how to operate. They don't know the policies or operations, and let their favorites run around and wreak havoc. They propose ridiculous deadlines. Supervisors and managers are too weak to stand up to directors and VPs. It's pathetic. They scream about going above and beyond but reward mediocrity. Management and team leads definitely have their favorites, and are too immature to communicate with others as adults. Go to HR? HR slams you and speaks with condescension so don't waste your time. OH and our IT staff is useless. 500+ people and what do the majority of them do? Absolutely nothing. If you're a recent grad, take the offer to build up skills, but leave after a year. I've never had a job where I was annoyed every single day despite my extremely optimistic attitude. This company blows.

Advice to Management

For all the leadership and PMP courses USAC offers, management still doesn't know how to lead the department to success. This company hires friends of friends, and the ones who are actually qualified are taken away after a week to support another department that is in bigger shambles.

Nov 14, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear about your negative experience here at USAC. As a partner of the FCC and steward of programs that impact millions of people, it is important to... More

"Great mission but poor leadership"

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Benefits are some of the best I’ve seen.
    Location is great (right on top of metro center).
    The staff workers are wonderful.

Cons

Always understaffed in operations leading to impossible timelines and lack of quality deliverables.
    Everything is ordered on a ‘needed yesterday’ basis.
    While there are some very bright spots in leadership there are also some very dark ones that cause chaos and dissension in the ranks.

Advice to Management

Remove the cancerous leaders before all of your top players leave.
    Focus on promoting the top quality people from within.

Nov 14, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I am thrilled to hear that you feel positively about our benefits, workspace and colleagues. We know that these are important elements of work – as well as having... More

"It has been interesting in some ways."

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are good for now.

Cons

There is no room to grow in some teams.

Advice to Management

Don't be a manager be a leader.

Nov 14, 2018

Thank you for your feedback! As a partner of the FCC and a steward of programs that impact millions of people, it is important to us that we continue to listen to our employees and make improvements... More

"Overall - Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

Pros

• Can't beat the Benefits here
    • Diverse work environment
    • Friendly staff
    • Senior management cares about staff (in the audit division atleast)
    • Great place to grow
    • Many opportunities to move around
    • Flexible work schedules

Cons

Many departments seem unsatisfied.
    Telework policy is limited to one day a week.
    Bonuses/raises are very small.
    USAC organized events are boring compared to the old companies I used to work for.

Advice to Management

We should allow for more telework as turnover is high and many companies are now switching to teleworking all week. It will be hard for USAC to compete in the marketplace for skilled employees.