Universal Service Administrative Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Radha Sekar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • career growth, not challenging professionally (in 4 reviews)

• no growth for aspiring young professionals (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place for those who doesn't like fast pace environments"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super awesome benefits, seriously best benefits I've ever seen. Very nice new building, friendly people. Very few pressure. Great work/life balance, flexible telecommute policies. Plenty of paid leave time. Regularly provided training. Very diverse personnel.

Cons

Slow pace, a bit bureaucratic, but not too much. Salary could be capped due to regulations (but don't forget about benefits). Not many opportunities to grow. Overall I would definitely recommend this company! I enjoyed working here.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work. Allow more projects to be driven from bottom to top.

"Glad I decided to work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at USAC about a year now, and I'm still excited to come to work. I enjoy my work and I see the value in it, both toward the overall universal service mission and in my department.

Managers are approachable and care about feedback. They care about our level of engagement; they encourage us to work hard but not burn out.

Cons

Too many meetings; I can't work if I'm booked for meetings from 10-6pm. The organization does need to clarify its vision; you can't grow and improve in all areas simultaneously. The divisions seem to work autonomously instead of as part of a greater organization. It creates confusion at times.

Advice to Management

Prioritize employee engagement and support, and they will produce for you.

"Cross-roads..."

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing. 401K program is unreal, and the health insurance is like none other. There are lots of great people that work at USAC, unfortunately, those with the innovative ideas and best work ethic are hushed and ran-over by upper management.

Cons

Lots of people in high-level positions that don't know the company and how to be effective leaders. There is also a lack of accountability the higher you go up the chain. But worst of all is the lack of acknowledgment for those who are in the weeds doing the work day in and day out.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for your staff. A small gesture really goes a long way.

4. "Director of Compliance and Risk, Associate General Counsel"

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

USAC has a dynamic work environment where employees are challenged and encouraged to develop and grow.

Cons

Internal Communication needs to be improved.

"USAC is a mixed bag"

Pros

The benefits are absolutely incredible

Cons

Leadership isn't great and employees sometimes feel undervalued

"Professional and dedicated employees"

Pros

A nonprofit with an important mission. It's leadership and employees really care about the mission. The benefits and the work atmosphere are great. The CEO and other senior managers are very approachable.

Cons

Horrible HR Department. Needs new HR leadership. It provides very little support to employees and management. HR needs to get back to basic HR functions and get rid of silly job titles and useless initiatives with no purpose.

Advice to Management

Overall the USAC programs are well managed, and management is great, with the exception of the HR Department. HR needs new leadership.

"Hubris Meets Stupidity and Has a Baby: USAC and the FCC 2017"

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

Great medical and retirement benefits

Cons

Horrible leadership and lack of accountability by the Board or the FCC

Advice to Management

USAC was once a mission driven company.   The most recent CEO, Chris Henderson, came in and made a lot of change for the better in the service of that mission over the last several years.  He brought in leaders who thought differently and had the experience to help USAC be even better in support of Universal Service.  Unfortunately, the Board and the FCC felt threatened by Chris and the accountability he was seeking and when the political climate shifted, they made it so impossible for him that he resigned.  Sadly, this was supported by the actions of people internal to USAC who had a vested interest in ensuring that a real focus on performance management and metrics and accountability never comes to fruition.  Even though they are supposedly in charge, the FCC does just the bare minimum. If ever they are asked to weigh in, the uncoordinated and idiotic responses are at best not useful and at worst detrimental.

In early 2017, Vickie Robinson was appointed as the acting CEO.  She has absolutely no vision, does not care about USAC employees, and only cares about herself and the people that she has packed around her to blow happy smoke in her eyes and ears.  Too bad it’s just that – smoke and mirrors.  At her first all staff meeting (which took over 6 months to occur) she read from a script and was not credible.  She is shameful and embarrassing to watch.  Vickie Robinson is unqualified to be the CEO and has run out multiple senior leaders who were doing good work because she is terrified of anyone who sees through her.

If you are considering working here, you should know that the environment is like a hubris fueled hunt for blood at the top.  Don’t get used to any senior leaders if they are smart and competent.

Universal Service Administrative Company Response

Nov 10, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. USAC is experiencing positive change and growth to better serve our mission. Unfortunately, not every employee’s work style is aligned with the company’s direction... More

"Great place for mission driven people"

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

Wonderful colleagues, great benefits, strong mission.

Cons

The overall governance structure makes it difficult for USAC to be successful. Too many "chiefs" from the FCC and lack of clear direction make it stressful.

Advice to Management

Get a real CEO, lobby to change the governance strucuture so that communication and oversight are coordinated and focused on success and not the whim of one particular bureau or commissioner of the FCC.

"Universal Service Administrative Company Review"

Former Employee - Service Desk Technician in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Service Desk Technician in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their goals and purpose of assisting with creating telecommunications service for the the American public.

Cons

There were many temporary contract positions.

"Manager"

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good people, fair pay for the work

Cons

Leadership of the company needs to change