Universal Service Administrative Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vickie Robinson
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • The office politics in this organization are toxic and run deep across all levels (in 6 reviews)

• Also as other reviews mentioned, many under performers abuse the 9/80 program (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love working here"

Pros

USAC has been under a fair amount of change in the past 2 years. This is energizing for those of us excited about the change and becoming more effective. We have opportunities to drive greater impact. Chris is a great CEO and really demonstrates passion for the mission. We also have other awesome perks like an amazing benefit package, a beautiful office, with lots of light, a building gym, great night life and shopping, and we have a cool mission that matters. It feels good to come to work.

Cons

Silos, which are really challenging and aversion to change from some parts of old USAC.

Universal Service Administrative Company Response

Nov 18, 2016

We’re so glad to hear your enthusiasm and energy around our recent organizational changes. While we may be implementing changes across the organization, we are committed to maintaining the elements ... More

2. "Great place for those who doesn't like fast pace environments"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super awesome benefits, seriously best benefits I've ever seen. Very nice new building, friendly people. Very few pressure. Great work/life balance, flexible telecommute policies. Plenty of paid leave time. Regularly provided training. Very diverse personnel.

Cons

Slow pace, a bit bureaucratic, but not too much. Salary could be capped due to regulations (but don't forget about benefits). Not many opportunities to grow. Overall I would definitely recommend this company! I enjoyed working here.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work. Allow more projects to be driven from bottom to top.

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

This company is definitely unique. But one thing I can honestly say is the company kept me there by the people that I work with. We are mission driven, even with the disarray of the company. The benefits are great which also keeps me there. They reinvest in their staff, which is rare with non-profits.

Cons

The former CEO, Chris Henderson, had no clue how to run the company. He brought in people that also created positions that are not of value to the company and took away valuable money, especially in HR. HR has HR Partners that makes no sense and has no knowledge of the company or HR policies. They are a waste of money.

It's a million managers who have no people skills and do not know how to manage their staff.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees, especially when you ask them their opinion on how to make things better. 9 times out of 10 they are doing the actual work, so I say listen to them and take what they have to say seriously.

Be more transparent with what's going on in the company. There has been more than usual senior management changes that are affecting the company and the staff.

Have more staff functions because the moral in the office is lacking.

5. "A work in progress..."

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Answer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Answer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

USAC has a rich history of generous benefits and a staff that's committed to it's social mission. Some of the new hires USAC has made in the last two years are making a real difference.

Cons

Like any organization in a whirlwind of change, communication can stand to be improved.

Advice to Management

Hold leaders to higher standards. Ensure everyone is in the right seat.

6. "Good benefits, no room for advancement, good ol' boys network"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. It's the only reason people stay.

Cons

Ineffective HR, no forward vision in leadership, no room for advancement, people who are good at kissing up move up. Women are paid significantly less for the same work as men in similar positions.

Advice to Management

Pay your people a fair wage.

"Software Developer III"

Former Employee - Software Developer III in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer III in Arlington, VA

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company (More than a year)

Pros

Their goal is a noble one. Great 401K package and health insurance. Work hard to provide a good work life balance.

Cons

For good software developers mostly, it's not a good place. Their strategy is not to become an IT Financial Company but a business company that uses third party software with no innovation at all. I sincerely hope that it works for them, but at this point probably most of their great talent has left. So unless you want to become management you should not work here.

Also as other reviews mentioned, many under performers abuse the 9/80 program. When I worked there, I didn't use it but many times I got there earlier and left later than 9/80 people.

Advice to Management

If you want great developers, you have to act like a tech company and give them the power to innovate and wow you. Protect your developers from business decisions and provide them with the hardware they need to scale your systems. That is only if you want to attract great tech talent.

Universal Service Administrative Company Response

Nov 22, 2016

Thanks for your candid feedback and especially for your thoughts on how to retain strong developers via more autonomy and opportunities to innovate. As we look to staff up the IT division even more ... More

"Internal Audit"

Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

Pros

Company is unique and there is a lot of opportunity to give the public a necessary and important service. Telecommuting and 9/80 help cut down on commute times.

Cons

In general the organization is stagnant and resistant to any change or ingenuity. Managers got their positions by hanging around for years, not by being talented at what they do.

Specifically, the Internal Audit department has some of the most incompetent managers I've ever seen. Wave after wave of talented staff have left the organization because management was unwilling to utilize people's skill set and basic technology (ex. not allowing use of formulas in excel for documentation). Management consistently throws its employees under the bus in order to mask their own inadequacy, and they are happy as long as they continue to sit around and collect their paychecks.

It's a nice place to cool down after public accounting, but most people get fed up within year or so and leave. They are extremely hesitant to promote, and they don't allow employees to do any trainings to improve their skill set because they fear employees taking those skills elsewhere. The feeling of stagnation is the other big reason why employees leave. If USAC had any desire to have a functional audit department, they would have to fire every manager and director.

Advice to Management

Start the department from scratch and get management that know audit theory.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Great benefits.

Cons

New CEO causing too much turmoil.

10. "Software developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very good organization to work for. They take care of their employees welfare. The benefits are great.
    Management is always looking to ensure that employees are happy.

Cons

Have to meet scrum deadline. Lots of work and challenges. No more challenges. Overall it is a very good place to work.

"Open Door Policy is a Fluke"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, some positions telecommute or do 9/80

Cons

Management claims transparency but isn't. Seen staff be open but pay for it.

Advice to Management

Don't claim what you're not doing and treat employees the way you want to be treated.