Universal Service Administrative Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Radha Sekar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • career growth, not challenging professionally (in 4 reviews)

• no growth for aspiring young professionals (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place for those who doesn't like fast pace environments"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super awesome benefits, seriously best benefits I've ever seen. Very nice new building, friendly people. Very few pressure. Great work/life balance, flexible telecommute policies. Plenty of paid leave time. Regularly provided training. Very diverse personnel.

Cons

Slow pace, a bit bureaucratic, but not too much. Salary could be capped due to regulations (but don't forget about benefits). Not many opportunities to grow. Overall I would definitely recommend this company! I enjoyed working here.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work. Allow more projects to be driven from bottom to top.

"Hubris Meets Stupidity and Has a Baby: USAC and the FCC 2017"

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

Great medical and retirement benefits

Cons

Horrible leadership and lack of accountability by the Board or the FCC

Advice to Management

USAC was once a mission driven company.   The most recent CEO, Chris Henderson, came in and made a lot of change for the better in the service of that mission over the last several years.  He brought in leaders who thought differently and had the experience to help USAC be even better in support of Universal Service.  Unfortunately, the Board and the FCC felt threatened by Chris and the accountability he was seeking and when the political climate shifted, they made it so impossible for him that he resigned.  Sadly, this was supported by the actions of people internal to USAC who had a vested interest in ensuring that a real focus on performance management and metrics and accountability never comes to fruition.  Even though they are supposedly in charge, the FCC does just the bare minimum. If ever they are asked to weigh in, the uncoordinated and idiotic responses are at best not useful and at worst detrimental.

In early 2017, Vickie Robinson was appointed as the acting CEO.  She has absolutely no vision, does not care about USAC employees, and only cares about herself and the people that she has packed around her to blow happy smoke in her eyes and ears.  Too bad it’s just that – smoke and mirrors.  At her first all staff meeting (which took over 6 months to occur) she read from a script and was not credible.  She is shameful and embarrassing to watch.  Vickie Robinson is unqualified to be the CEO and has run out multiple senior leaders who were doing good work because she is terrified of anyone who sees through her.

If you are considering working here, you should know that the environment is like a hubris fueled hunt for blood at the top.  Don’t get used to any senior leaders if they are smart and competent.

Universal Service Administrative Company Response

Nov 10, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. USAC is experiencing positive change and growth to better serve our mission. Unfortunately, not every employee’s work style is aligned with the company’s direction... More

"Needs to improve"

Pros

Benefit is very good, even though later they ended up changing the very good health insurance to just good health insurance.

Cons

pay is less even if you consider that benefit is very good.

Advice to Management

Take action from exit interviews!
    I had some concerns why I was leaving and I shared that on my exit interview and a little later I came to know that they completely ignored my viewpoint which was a big mistake..because future employees are going to face the same issue that I had and they are going to leave also!

"Internal Audit was a horrible place!"

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

Pay was reasonable and benefits were excellent. In addition, the opportunity to travel was great.

Cons

Management had a gang mentality. If you do what they say when they say it, you might survive. If you get anything wrong (even once) or at least one person in management has a personal conflict with you, they all turn. Some members of management were just evil. Them pushing "work/life balance" is a complete joke. Just wait about two months in and you beat down with unreasonable schedules and deadlines.

Advice to Management

A change in management is needed. Treat employees like adults and not child-slaves.

5. "Go here if you don't care"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Flex time offered. Probably good if you are in audit or IT division, both of which have relatively new leadership.

Cons

Zero leadership, lousy communication (an anonymous intranet portal to the CEO is NOT communication). No vision, no strategy, just a mostly good-old-boys network run by the COO. Leadership and operations divisions are all run by VPs who have been at USAC for at least a decade. Competence definitely not rewarded (at least not in my division). If you care about the mission, this is not the place for you. If you are good at going along to get along (just give me the lousy paycheck and let me leave at 4:15), you'll love it here.

Advice to Management

Get new leadership. These guys have been there too long. You can't blame everything on the FCC.

"Full of low lives and politicians"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Good place if you are looking to retire or have expensive diseases that needs medical benifits

Cons

Old and slow. Lots of office politics and nothing gets done. Inherited lots of rubbish (culture and personnels) from big telephone companies.

7. "Nothing gets done - more politics goes on there than Govt. offices !!!"

Pros

Benefits are good....but low pay sort of compensates that...so not sure if this really would fall under "pros"!!!

Cons

Very bad office politics, that place is good for people who are close to their retirement ...and don't want to learn too many new technologies etc. As the other individual said earlier especially for IT people that place wont have anything new to learn...so think twice before you go! Benefit doesn't really help you much when you compare their Pay
    USAC low pay + good benefit <less then< higher pay + regular benefit ....in any other organization!!

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

This company is definitely unique. But one thing I can honestly say is the company kept me there by the people that I work with. We are mission driven, even with the disarray of the company. The benefits are great which also keeps me there. They reinvest in their staff, which is rare with non-profits.

Cons

The former CEO, Chris Henderson, had no clue how to run the company. He brought in people that also created positions that are not of value to the company and took away valuable money, especially in HR. HR has HR Partners that makes no sense and has no knowledge of the company or HR policies. They are a waste of money.

It's a million managers who have no people skills and do not know how to manage their staff.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees, especially when you ask them their opinion on how to make things better. 9 times out of 10 they are doing the actual work, so I say listen to them and take what they have to say seriously.

Be more transparent with what's going on in the company. There has been more than usual senior management changes that are affecting the company and the staff.

Have more staff functions because the moral in the office is lacking.

"Internal Audit"

Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

Pros

Company is unique and there is a lot of opportunity to give the public a necessary and important service. Telecommuting and 9/80 help cut down on commute times.

Cons

In general the organization is stagnant and resistant to any change or ingenuity. Managers got their positions by hanging around for years, not by being talented at what they do.

Specifically, the Internal Audit department has some of the most incompetent managers I've ever seen. Wave after wave of talented staff have left the organization because management was unwilling to utilize people's skill set and basic technology (ex. not allowing use of formulas in excel for documentation). Management consistently throws its employees under the bus in order to mask their own inadequacy, and they are happy as long as they continue to sit around and collect their paychecks.

It's a nice place to cool down after public accounting, but most people get fed up within year or so and leave. They are extremely hesitant to promote, and they don't allow employees to do any trainings to improve their skill set because they fear employees taking those skills elsewhere. The feeling of stagnation is the other big reason why employees leave. If USAC had any desire to have a functional audit department, they would have to fire every manager and director.

Advice to Management

Start the department from scratch and get management that know audit theory.

"Open Door Policy is a Fluke"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, some positions telecommute or do 9/80

Cons

Management claims transparency but isn't. Seen staff be open but pay for it.

Advice to Management

Don't claim what you're not doing and treat employees the way you want to be treated.