Universal Solutions International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 7, 2017

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel “Dan” Wolfe

1. "Excellent Company, Puts People First"

Current Employee - Director of IT in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Director of IT in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Universal Solutions International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing Benefits, unlike many other companies. Great work environment, and awesome CEO. He genuinely cares about his team and believes his employees are his greatest Asset. He stresses teamwork and ensuring we take care of our team to his PMs, leaders and middle managers.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be a challenge, but that's the same with all Small Businesses.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Focus On the Team building. Employee Satisfaction will continue to lead to higher productivity and greater customer satisfaction.

Jul 19, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback and the kind words. USI success would not be if it weren’t for you and its incredible employee team. We will work on the "balance" and shall continue to focus on team ... More

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant and Program Manager in Stafford, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant and Program Manager in Stafford, VA

I worked at Universal Solutions International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Salary and average benefits

Cons

Leadership is weak, don't like each other

Jul 19, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. USI greatly appreciates your service during your time with us. As a small business, communication and initiative are always a challenge, from the top to bottom ... More

3. "Great work envirnoment"

Former Employee - Senior Adviser and Consultant in Apex, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Adviser and Consultant in Apex, NC

I worked at Universal Solutions International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very customer focused
    Professional Staff
    Outstanding HR
    Take great care of their employers
    Leaders led from the front
    Understand the customer they support

Cons

Limited job opportunities based on current contracts
    Too much overhead
    Need to seek contract opportunities outside the beltway
    Need to expand its capabilities

Advice to Management

USI strength is its employees; need to find/win contract opportunities to enable USI to retain its best employees. Former employees feel that they fall off the radar once a contract is ended.

Jul 19, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. I agree that our greatest asset is our employees and we strive to provide them the best employment experience as possible. Thanks for listing the cons; like most ... More

5. "Great Company"

Pros

Been with the company for almost 7 years. CEO is a stand up guy. Great to work for! Sincerely cares about his employees and always looks for ways to provide more cost-effective benefits. Family atmosphere.

Cons

Like with any other company, there are growing pains. Very fast-paced environment and stressful at any given moment.

Advice to Management

Build a niche and go after proposals within the company's capability.

6. "Ok"

I have been working at Universal Solutions International full-time

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Fast pace changing work envious

"Why would anyone choose to work for this company?"

I have been working at Universal Solutions International full-time

Pros

There are some support staff members who are great at their jobs. The CEO is good guy.

Cons

The pay is significantly lower than similar companies for similar positions, the benefits are terrible (especially the medical benefits) and getting worse each year. One of the VPs with a policy background is both and idiot and arrogant. They have a body shop mentality in general. The business systems are archaic. They do not understand how to attract and retain top quality employees. They legally own your ideas for as long as you work for them.

Advice to Management

Recognize that it may only be client loyalty that is keeping some employees from leaving/quitting tomorrow. And be glad that many of the government customers have low standards in regards to actual skill sets.

8. "Difficult Circumstances"

Pros

Great company to work for overall. Very competitive benefits, great people.

Cons

Two separate offices geographically that still must coordinate their activities. This lead to some "us vs them" mentality that was a challenge to deal with sometimes. Regrettably, with the downturn in the defense industry, they have had some struggles gaining additional contracts, while the ones they do have are continuing to shrink.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the corporate staff informed of activities at the two locations. Open lines of communication are a must for success in the future!

9. "A Brief Personal Synopsis of USI"

Former Employee - Country Manager
    Former Employee - Country Manager

I worked at Universal Solutions International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For about 85% of my tenure at USI, they employed me as a Country Manager in Afghanistan. While deployed, they took very good care of me both in compensation and benefits. While not deployed, they actively engaged in finding active work to keep me on as a full-time employee. 90% of the corporate operations staff is quite capable, responsive, friendly, and easy to work with.

Cons

Didn't follow through with regards to employee evaluations--not conducive to improving performance or building one's skills.

Advice to Management

Be loyal to the folks who deploy overseas to warzones by giving them the occasional bone, i.e. keep them on 1099 status to give them the opportunity to develop ideas for business development.

"Wonderful opportunity overseas but lacks the support from CONUS personnel."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Universal Solutions International as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to get your foot in the contract world.

Cons

For overseas work, no paid leave, no paid travel for R&R, no policy for emergency leave. I can only speak for the overseas contract, but I haven't receive the level of support from program managers in the states the I believe I should be getting.

Advice to Management

Better benefits for employees

"Worst company to work for in 2016"

Current Employee - Contract Support in Virginia (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Contract Support in Virginia (South Africa)

Pros

There are NO pros.

Cons

Stupid and lazy human resources department, leadership team is incredibly incompetent. Most of the employees are arrogant and stupid. It is unclear how they continue to win contracts. Compensation/benefits, are some of the worst in the industry (medical benefits are particularly bad). Their business systems may have inaccurate data and should be audited by the government. USI is a body shop and interested in making profit at the taxpayer and clients' expense.