Universal Stainless Reviews | Glassdoor

Dennis M. Oates

1. "GOOD TREATMENT"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Bridgeville, PA

Pros

Worked as Salary. Good benefits, profit sharing, 401K. Was treated good by Company and the Union work force

Cons

I did not like working week ends

"Poor Operation Leadership"

Former Employee - Operation Supervisor in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Operation Supervisor in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Universal Stainless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They provide a paycheck and health insurance that continues to cost more and provide less.

Cons

No Plant Leadership
    Narcissistic Management
    Top heavy rewards program
    Absentee Leadership and Commitment

Advice to Management

Provide the supervisors with the tools to succeed.

3. "Universal Stainless quality and operations"

Pros

Hired seasoned experts to consult and aid in quality, engineering and operations. Put a lot of capital money into renovations and new testing equipment.

Cons

Management wanted the paperwork to certify them to aerospace standards but didn't want to do the process changes to improve quality. Material put on quality hold was rested "after hours" and receritfied and shipped the next day. Capital projects to improve quality testing were never fully implemented. Employees are working too many jobs and are overwhelmed. Older employees cheat the system to make their work easier.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all former employees that worked for Mcininch. Listen and implement what your consultants said--they are experts. Follow up on your capital outlays and hold people responsible for completion of projects.Scrap material when it fails--this stuff is reentering the system and is BAD.

5. "Company Review"

Former Employee - Plant Engineer
    Former Employee - Plant Engineer

I worked at Universal Stainless (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good location and easy drive.

Cons

Metals industry including specialty materials.

6. "Company employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

I have been working at Universal Stainless full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation and pay were good

Cons

Industry is too volatile and unpredictable.

Advice to Management

Try to keep good employees

7. "Dunkirk Specialty Steel Plant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunkirk, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunkirk, NY

Pros

There is lots of overtime

Cons

You are forced to work overtime

Advice to Management

Fire Brandon Leach please.

8. "Not worth the hassle for the job."

Current Employee - Laborer in Bridgeville, PA

Pros

Steady work(for the most part) when the company gets slow you will be sent home to collect unemployment. Used to have decent quarterly profit sharing- that was years ago. Have not had anything over $400 in years. Good health insurance, but you pay ALOT for that insurance. I like the job, but iam tired of being moved around inside our department.

Cons

Fighting among employees. Especially in the blooming mill department. 2 main Veteran workers do the least work and they worry about what everyone else is doing. Constantly telling on other employees if you dont do the work "their way", or they dont like you, they will try to get you fired. The union here is horrible. Only a select few people that the union president likes will actually benefit from having the union. Company pays off the union president(who is also on the megans law website as a level 3 offender)! UNBELIEVABLE! I have seen many good workers leave for higher paying jobs because this company does not pay any money and management is not involved and does not care about their workers. The supervising staff is a joke. They will hire anyone. This is a good place to work if you are on parole or a convicted felon or child molester. We sleep all the time. It is actually ridiculous the amount of time we have to sit around here and sleep in this blooming mill. We are brokedown and sleep while some of the maintenance crew(the ones that arent sleeping too) work on the broken equipment. I have never seen a place like this. I guess im here for the long haul bc i cant get a good paying job anywhere else because of my criminal record. Raises are terrible. 45-50 cents a year.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your butts and get involved down here on the floor. Seems like all management is worried about is collecting their big bonuses. Plant manager is set up to take the fall of the company. Happens every 3 to 4 years. They have gone through 2 PMs already in the short time i have been here. They fire the plant manager and hire a new one. New one always says the same things. Like im gonna be more involved down here and we are going to work together as a team, and i care about you guys. Yeah right. Until you get management to get off their butts and out of the office then we will continue to fail as a company. We cant work as a TEAM bc management thinks they are better than us!

"Union protects terrible workers - bad attitude amongst employees - Management uninvolved"

I have been working at Universal Stainless full-time

Pros

Steady employment, Insurance benefits are partially company paid.

Cons

Work-life balance - with all the hours you are forced to work you will see very little of your family. Things break down A LOT because veteran workers choose not to fix them. You can be a slacker and not be disciplined. Management are not involved - they should spend more time preventing their problems in the first place. Bad attitude amongst workers - a lot of them are lazy and find ways to not have to work. It's amazing that people can get away with sleeping at this company but they do.

Advice to Management

Come down to the floor as a blue collar employee for a month. Work with the steel workers for a month - go undercover if you have too. Make sure you work in the departments that have problems. Then your eyes will really be opened to how poorly the mill is managed and run. You will see why there are so many problems.

10. "Terrible"

Current Employee - Laborer in Bridgeville, PA

I have been working at Universal Stainless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

small profit sharing every quarter, if you even get one that quarter

Cons

where do I start? Management does not care about you or your family. You live there 12+ hours one day and 4 hours the next day. you arent garanteed anything. One day your machine breaks and they tell you go home and we will call you when we get it fixed. All equipment is very old. machines constantly breakdown

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, they make you the money! A Merry Christmas would be nice. When Mac Macinach was alive and ran the company, he came around and said merry christmas and thank you for your work, we did great them years, Record quarters every quarter. A Thank You goes a LONG way! Now the employees and bosses know that management dont care so we all have the same attidude, If management dont care then why should we? We used to have record quarters all the time, where was our record profit sharing? show your employees that you really care and even in a recession they will show you some REAL production and we will all make money. i know for a fact that if we got more money this would be a great company to work for, they just dont want to take care of their employees! Take care of your employees and quit treating humans like garbage! The office people(management) acts like we are nothing.

"Really Out-dated"

I have been working at Universal Stainless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales force that really understands its customers.

Cons

Terrible H.R. department.
    Lack of leadership in multiple areas across the company.

Advice to Management

Set cleared goals and expectations for those in leadership roles.
    Upgrade management.