Universal Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Universal Studios Vice Chairman, NBCUniversal Ron Meyer
Ron Meyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get to work in an enjoyable theme park environment (in 40 reviews)

• We also get all kinds of perks like free tickets, great discounts, free movie previews, etc (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, occasional rowdy guests (in 24 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes you don't get a lot of hours, and favoritism (in 19 reviews)

1. "Production Assistant"

I worked at Universal Studios part-time

Pros

The perks and the people were fun to work with

Cons

Long hours and sometimes hard work goes unnoticed.

2. "fun!"

Former Employee - Maze Hostess in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Maze Hostess in Studio City, CA

I worked at Universal Studios part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you are surrounded by funny, kind people who are more than happy to help (depending which ride or place you work at)

Cons

lots and lots of walking, although they do give transportation, depending where your headed

Advice to Management

have mature, adult managers or leads that actually are well trained with dealing with employees

3. "Good Part Time Summer Job"

Former Employee - Ride Operator
    Former Employee - Ride Operator

I worked at Universal Studios part-time

Pros

Cool work environment
    Free entry to the park
    Great discounts for tickets to several different theme parks
    Great discounts in Universal
    Able to see Universal movies before release
    A lot of variety in the lunch room

Cons

Very long probationary period, based on hours worked not length of time employed
    Extremely strict clock-in guidelines, you had to go to wardrobe, get your costume on, then walk to your attraction, I would get to work 30-60 min early to have time to clock in since if you clocked in even four minutes late you'd get an infraction.

4. "It's okay if you're outgoing and enjoy the environment"

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Universal Studios part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free park admission, great discounts on merch and food.
    You get one comp ticket at first then one more a bit later. Somewhat growth if you want to be a lead at an attraction

Cons

Some of the "leads" think they're invincible and will look down on you. This was at FJ in Wizarding World

Advice to Management

Don't let leads walk over your employees, and don't let them skip your lunch until two hours past your normal time

5. "A lot of missed potential"

Former Employee - Contracts Paralegal in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Contracts Paralegal in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Studios (More than a year)

Pros

Park perks with access to cheap food, decent health insurance, and decent paid time off. They do offer a lot of opportunities to network within the company, should your tasks allow you to engage.

Cons

The food available at the cafeterias for purchase is mediocre, at best. Greasy, unhealthy, cheap stuff that they overprice for park visitors outside the employee gates. Depending on management, you will either have a great time working there, or a miserable time carrying all the load in a department, it's truly hit or miss. The business offices, with the exception of the main building, are a joke. Most of them are falling apart and have horrible ventilation. When it rains, often times we had to scramble to cover up copy machines and computers because the roof leaked. What is that? The salary leaves a lot to be desired and for that reason alone, I wouldn't return. Pay better Universal - we all know you can...

Advice to Management

Be generous with your compensation - that would help with the attrition.

6. "Line cook"

Current Employee - Line Cook/Prep Cook in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Line Cook/Prep Cook in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Studios part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Going inside the parks for free and having comp tickets for my friends and family

Cons

Manger's will tell you one thing and they won't fall through with it

7. "Worked there for 3 years full time"

Current Employee - Park Services in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Park Services in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get in the parks free and discounts around town

Cons

Favoritism and if they don't want you anymore they well set you up to be fired

Advice to Management

Stop burning the people that care and want to be there and make it a better work place

8. "Attendent"

I worked at Universal Studios full-time

Pros

It was an amazing atmosphere and the people there are amazing, as well!

Cons

Pay scale.
    Hired at minimum wage. Understandable, but had previous experience.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

9. "The breaks were amazing, the perks were good enough"

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Universal City, CA

I worked at Universal Studios part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The breaks were amazing at Universal. I worked on The Mummy ride and it was pretty fun at times. Then it got repetitive and boring. It was a really easy job, but the commute to Studio City was difficult. I ended up quitting so I could move to Florida and seek better employment. This was right when minimum wage went up to $12 in California. :|

Cons

The coworkers were really clique-y. I didn't really feel like I fit in with anyone but the crowd I went through training with. This seems to be common in theme parks.
    The job also got to become really easy to auto-pilot through. I don't feel comfortable giving less fooks (pardon the French) about my job just because I'm working peak hours. It becomes easy to have a bad day and affect your performance just because you don't really get time away to yourself to chop up onions on a cutting board or something of that nature. A very people-oriented job and maybe it was my lack of abililty to cope with the stress of having to deal with thousands of people a day. You also get sick a lot (especially if you commute through the Metrolink or Metro Rail).

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work. You guys made working there so much more worth it. Lots of recognition was given by supervisors and leads, it was nice to have my work noticed. I also am really thankful that I was given a HOA on a day when I was having a bad day.

10. "Very great place to work and grow."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Clerk in Universal City, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Clerk in Universal City, CA

I have been working at Universal Studios part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had the intentions of landing a job in the Wizarding World (which I thankfully did) and it's been worth it. It's such an incredible feeling to interact with guests in a way that you both can contribute. Making a person's day by pairing them with wands, or even saying silly potter related things after they've made a purchase. It's a blast to work at, if you're a potter head, that is. I've taken up shifts in the regular park as well and it's the same thrill. I've worked at another theme park prior, and I didn't really feel like I could be myself there. Here, it's different. There's just so many ways that you can open up to guests and have them open up to you because you'd be working somewhere where you have limitless conversational topics. Discuss your favorite universal movie, favorite attraction, favorite anything. You just see so many people from all around the world that it's a tossed salad and very fun to dive into. They really do listen to employee satisfaction. For instance, when it gets really hot, they give their employees free water. The leads are great. Managers are incredible. Hospitality level is fantastic. I'm enjoying it so far. The employee benefits at city walk are pretty great too. Especially those movie ticket deals. Great save!

Cons

You will get many international guests who may or may not speak English. Either they know some, or very little. It gets a little difficult trying to communicate with them at first, especially if no one in your venue speaks their language. You'll find your way around it through practice. Still, it's a timely process and sometimes, the guest(s) may walk away from you because proper communication may not be achieved. That's about as much of a con that I personally can think of at the moment. That, and the fact that if you work in the Wizarding World, you're not allowed say you know who's name and you're not allowed to be a death eater.