Universal Studios "theme park" Reviews | Glassdoor

Universal Studios Employee Reviews about "theme park"

Updated Jan 12, 2020

3.8
Universal Studios Vice Chairman, NBCUniversal Ron Meyer
Ron Meyer
Pros
  • "The people are great and it's very happy to work in a theme park(in 63 reviews)

• "Fun environment everyday meeting different people(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work long hours during festive periods(in 34 reviews)

• "Entry Level Salary No Hours Short Breaks Low pay raises Seniority(in 27 reviews)

Reviews about "theme park"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Introductory Job"

Former Employee - Food Service Worker

I worked at Universal Studios part-time

Pros

This was my first job and I really enjoyed the experience. The people are great and it's very happy to work in a theme park.

Cons

None. Pay could be better.

Universal Studios2019-05-31
  2. "You have to be THAT guy"

Former Employee - Market Research Interviewer in Universal City, CA

I worked at Universal Studios part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Lots of standing around doing nothing - Theme Park Access - Project Variety (CityWalk, Park Restaurants, Rides, events, etc.)

Cons

- Lots of standing around doing nothing - Lots of inane bureaucratic rules - Listening to the very short loop of awful CityWalk music drove me insane - Having to reach varying interview "quotas" for different races of people was... questionable, to say the least. Made for plenty of awkward situations when every 20 minutes the Lead would lean over and say something like "Hey guys, no more Hispanics." - You have to be the guy that bothers people about taking a survey literally as soon as they step through the door it just cost them $100+ to step through

Universal Studios2020-01-12
  3. "Fun place to work"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Studios for less than a year

Pros

Exciting, great people, fun work, good benefits

Cons

Lack of direction sometimes, working odd hours when the theme park is closed

Universal Studios2019-12-19
  4. "It was ok"

Former Employee - Patio Host in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Universal Studios part-time for less than a year

Pros

Had theme park admission

Cons

Worked Simpson like crazy don’t really know who’s in charge kinda work by yourself

Universal Studios2019-11-08

"Worth The Experience"

Current Employee - Retail Team Leader in Universal City, CA

I have been working at Universal Studios part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Employee discounts and free access to the park - Retail union was great compared to other places I've worked (read: Disneyland) - A very open environment among employees, you're allowed to feel negative without being shamed in the back for it - Guests are SO MUCH BETTER than the ones who go to Disney - People are really hype for Harry Potter and it's easy to make them happy - The park has programs in place to upwards and lateral movement. I was promoted to the Team Lead position and offered a position in Labor Relations within 3 months of starting. I had prior theme park retail experience, but good work and attitude can get you in the right direction. - Fun work perks, like the summer bash and team member only events for new attractions. - A foot in the door for the NBCUniversal Page Program, heard some great success stories every quarter. - Union dues for retail are very fair compared to what was negotiated. The probation period is fair, sick time accrues pretty quickly, and the union doesn't ask you to pay a withdrawal fee (don't do that if you've in the Disney College Program. You most likely won't join that union again and they ask everyone for different amounts. It's kind of a scam. Never ever pay a union withdrawal fee.) - After Disneyland, Universal feels less emotionally constipated. I really got along with my coworkers and orientation group. Yes, management plays favorites, but it's usually based on how well you work over how much they like you as a person. My interview for Team Leader consisted of a manager telling me that I wasn't ready to be a Team Leader and it felt like a test of my character rather than a criticism. As you can see, I was promoted and that manager later congratulated me/remained professional and treated me the same as any other Lead despite his attitude in the interview or opinions about my status. Personally, it felt like my work was rewarded and I was recognized for the effort I put in.

Cons

- If you're not good at upselling, you probably won't go far in retail - If you work in Harry Potter, you can't take the clothes home so it adds at least an extra hour onto your entire shift just to get changed and walk to the check in - When it's slow, it's slow. Early January to early April and late August to September can be really rough, especially if your store comes in under sales goals. - You can't be a Team Leader in Harry Potter and get cross-trained in Transformers. It's not fair. I want magic and sci-fi. Both is wonderful. Let us do BOTH. - Can easily get overwhelming during peak season. - If you're a Honeydukes lead, you will be place in the Hogsmeade Station. There is no AC. Winter isn't too bad because of how much you can walk around, the general temperature, and how heavy the costume gets (all suede, 3 layers over your chest to keep you toasty). During the summer, many leads got dehydrated or suffered heat exhaustion even when drinking their weight in water. Also, the chocolate frogs melted. - It's probably a compliance for food safety, but you have to damage out every baked good that doesn't sell, especially past the expiration date. Donuts from the Simpsons are indeed made daily, but they mean daily. You have to toss them. Feels like a big waste of food.

Universal Studios2019-10-23
  6. "working here is fine but taxing"

Current Employee - Lifeguard

I have been working at Universal Studios part-time

Pros

you get to go to the theme parks for free

Cons

you have to deal with tourists

Universal Studios2019-09-14
  7. "Incredible company, better pay, awesome benefits, best experience ever."

Former Employee - Attractions Attendant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is competitive with other local theme parks but they pay better then most companues anyway. Benefits are honestly endless. Lots of fun.

Cons

Scheduling hours around your time is tough because the amount of employees

Universal Studios2019-04-24
  8. "A wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Attraction Host in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Universal Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The company truly cares for your well-being by providing health benefits (after a certain period of time), wellness classes, and fun team member events - One word I want to say again: FUN. This is a theme park, and they do everything they can to help you enjoy your job! - I loved interacting with guests from all over the world. This job is a people-watching dream. - Payroll is seamless, especially if you have direct deposit. Every Thursday you wake up and your check was magically deposited into your account overnight.

Cons

- Like any job, sometimes your fellow team members will whine and complain. Throughout all the ups and downs, a positive attitude will help you get the most out of the job. - Sometimes working outside in the extreme weather can be taxing. - While there are benefits to working at a big company (like healthcare), there are some drawbacks, too. For example, it's much more competitive to work your way up than at smaller companies. - Starting out, your hours might be inconsistent. You might be working 16 hours one week and 40 hours the next. Your days off will change, too. This evens out after you put in more hours, though. - Setting up a retirement plan is possible, but I found it confusing/difficult.

Universal Studios2019-04-17

"Decent pay, bad culture"

Former Employee - Lead Bartender

I worked at Universal Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wage is higher than most theme parks

Cons

very disorganized and negative group culture

Universal Studios2019-03-08
  10. "Relatively Easy, But not if you hate crowds"

Former Employee - Senior Market Research Interviewer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Theme park perks/ discounts, free tickets, free access. Looks good on a resume.

Cons

You’re drones. And your opinion never matters.

Universal Studios2019-02-08

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 76 reviews