Universal Technical Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 29, 2017

Universal Technical Institute CEO Kimberly J. McWaters
Kimberly J. McWaters

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance and decent pay compared to other for-profit schools (in 9 reviews)

• Excellent benefits, great culture , good pay (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• You can't trust the upper management there as they are too worried about their own butt to care about the people actually performing (in 9 reviews)

"Ok place to work but would not go back. Typical for-profit college"

I worked at Universal Technical Institute full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and great benefits package. I learned a lot at UTI, it truly shaped me in a positive way. Made me stronger and prepared for the future. There are plenty of fun work events to keep students and staff happy. Overall a nice feeling of teamwork and togetherness. My immediate supervisor was very kind and helpful. They encourage vacation time as well. Working on a deadline which I greatly enjoyed.

Cons

I'm sorry -this may be long. In short- typical for-profit school. Mandatory working Saturdays. You are given a number of calls to make a week, you need to make those calls- it gets repetitive to call the same people every week, needed more challenge. Pay not great unless you're an instructor, manager or admissions rep. People are worried about job security, micromanaging has increased. (Ex: supervisor sneaking-up on us to "catch us" on our cell phones, supervisors may go through your desk). Too many meetings: development meetings, status meetings, other meetings- every other week you're in a meeting. They keep track of your phone to ensure you answer and rate this by percentage. If you didn't do something right, you might get an email with other supervisors and campus president CCd so that they can 'understand why' you did not do something right.

While the workload is manageable and reasonable, when someone takes off on leave- you are left 100% responsible for the work that they did or did not do and those numbers end up affecting your yearly reviews. You may get coached through an improvement plan for having poor rates- even if those rates were inherited from a co-worker that took off on leave. Director failed to meet with me (as is the process) during the yearly employee-director meeting before any improvement coaching was set up. Motivation may be done through a tactic of giving you poor reviews- example getting "exceeds expectations 5" for several years straight for keeping company policy may go down to a 3 suddenly, and being told that to raise it back to a 5, you need to manage your calls and student start rate. While I was not in admissions, we were penalized if too many of our students canceled- increased pressure to stop students from canceling. Your calls with students are dissected in biweekly meetings...etc. Essentially, I felt more like a telemarketer than an advisor. While I enjoyed the people, I lost faith in UTI because ultimately, I did not feel that I was helping the student like I wanted to. The motto includes the word "PROFIT" while I am more student centered. I looked for a new job about a year before leaving.

Advice to Management

I would suggest to focus more on the admissions representatives and less on the rest of us. Admissions reps are the ones who bring in the students. If they are not bringing quality enrollments or enough students, why does the micromanaging and demoralizing fall on the rest of the employees?

2. "Had a great run"

I worked at Universal Technical Institute full-time

Pros

Fun. So much fun!! If you like the motor sports industry this could be a great fit

Cons

The culture has changed over the years and it has become very stressful and it was no longer fun for me.

Advice to Management

Nope

3. "Enjoyed my time there"

Current Employee - NONE in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - NONE in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Universal Technical Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People oriented, great leadership and products.

Cons

You will always be under the gun for numbers which is expected.

Advice to Management

None

"Lost their focus"

I have been working at Universal Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok culture.Decent work-life balance and decent pay compared to other for-profit schools.

Cons

Favoritism and way too much focus on numbers. Bad insurance. No pay raise this year. Too many layoffs.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the little people! After all.... they are keeping the schools opened. Stop focusing on you managers and look down from time to time. Too many cuts... Max exodus in the horizon if nothing changes.

5. "All about the numbers."

I have been working at Universal Technical Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Seeing students "get it" and assisting them in their goals. Making positive difference in a person life.

Cons

Many are defined by numbers, some by evaluations from persons that have no qualifications to do so. That impacts you. Limited in position and pay changes. Tenure means nothing.

Advice to Management

Nothing they have not heard before.

"This place WAS great now its HORRIBLE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Universal Technical Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the students. After 5 years you get 3 weeks of vacation and they close on holidays

Cons

Insurance USED to be great its now HORRIBLE!! I worked at UTI for about 7 years you will only see about a .30 cent to .45 cent raise a year if your lucky. So don't count on getting a raise if you work here. There is also a lot of trash talk behind your back. DON'T trust anyone. You will get rolled in no time. This company is hurting and they just had big layoffs. But the Campus President will tell you not to worry that things are looking up HAHA.. Yeah right!!!

Advice to Management

UTI used to be a great place to work and now it's not. You need to make UTI Great Again!!! Because right now its rolling downhill fast. When employees were happy you can see it and feel it. Now when you walk into UTI you can tell there is a lot of stress and unhappiness. It really sucks. I miss the old UTI.. Please bring back the UTI we all loved!!! Get rid of KIM!!!!

7. "Receiving Clerk"

Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Universal Technical Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a great company

Cons

They are going low student enrollment

"Good company that fell on hard times and has not adjusted"

Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Universal Technical Institute (More than 10 years)

Pros

Campus staff is committed and loves what they do. People genuinely care about the students and the company's purpose to change lives through education.

Cons

Government regulations have hurt the company, and management has not made the necessary adjustments to their strategy. The cost of training is too expensive for many students also. Many layoffs.

Advice to Management

The old way of doing things that made UTI and MMI a great success no longer works. Things have changed and the way that students are enrolled and taught need to change too.

9. "General"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Universal Technical Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission driven culture that truly cares about students and staff

Cons

Slow to evolve to evolving market demands

"Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Universal Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company really cares about the students. Mission and Industry relationships are strong. Great pay. Good work/life balance. I felt that I was able to contribute while I was there. Great people.

Cons

Reduction in force every two years. Political at higher management and CEO answers to board members, pleases them rather than does what is right for the people and the company. She is smart but tends to make decisions based on favoritism. Many people are still there based on who they are related to or friends with - those are the people holding the company back from being successful. Huge regulatory atmosphere. Fiscally in danger, continual reduction in budgets, benefits, and people yet they continue to expand by opening more campuses and offering more products.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people that have been there forever and are not moving the company forward. Stop expanding when you can fill the seats you have. LISTEN to those that are on the front line and do the daily work of getting butts in seats.