Universal Wireless Reviews | Glassdoor

Marcelo Claure

"Market manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Springfield, IL

I worked at Universal Wireless (More than a year)

Pros

CEO and COO are fantastic

Cons

The rest is a shipwreck

2. "Terrible place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, MI

I worked at Universal Wireless part-time

Pros

Amazing customers, easy work, great location, easy to deal with co workers

Cons

Management was bad. Forced to lie to customers to make a quick sale. Refusing to do so you were yelled at. Management wouldn't let techs go out of their way to fix customers phones. Was told to file tep's so the customer would have to pay money after 3 tep's were filed. I run into old customers wanting me to look at or fix their phones.

Advice to Management

Close down all the stores or train your workers correctly.

"Office Manager - Coporate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

No pros at all.

Cons

Not understanding, not flexible, harsh to employees, horrible pay, horrible communication

Advice to Management

Communicate and treat employees better, they make you the money after all.

"I love the people, love my boss and even enjoy the owner, however they keep changing the pay structure."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Erie, PA

I worked at Universal Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, teaches you to be open and patient. I learned a lot about selling and how to fix phones. This company has a lot of fun at their meetings too. Put a group of uw managers together and they are unstoppable.

Cons

Very poor pay, and anyone above district manager has no respect for the managers. We get a lot of " you suck emails", even when you have improved. Each year my store improved and my pay decreased.

Advice to Management

Your managers run your stores... Treat them with a little respect.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Universal Wireless part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always learning about new products and promotions. I liked that you are challenged with sale goals and contests. Flexible hours (depending on your manager)

Cons

Not the greatest benefits or pay. If team doesn't do good with customer surveys the company takes money away from your commission.

"No idea what's going on"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenfield, WI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenfield, WI

I worked at Universal Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many to mention. Staff within location was fun to work with. Many friendships formed well in store locations.

Cons

Management has no idea what is going on in the stores. Front lines are treated as if they are disposable and good employees leave because of it. If you have different ideas of how things should be done the company will brainwash you into their way of thinking.

Advice to Management

Realize that things are not as simple as revising a process or selling more junk to people that they don't need. The commission structure did not change for the good a single time. Take care of employees and they may just take care of you.

"lacks profession"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Universal Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money was great commission plus spifs

Cons

Unprofessional managers use foul language towards employees

Advice to Management

Get it together screaming at your team only discourages them. Find ways to build them up work as a unit if one falls help them up

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sprint Sales Associate in Elmira, NY
    Former Employee - Sprint Sales Associate in Elmira, NY

I worked at Universal Wireless (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great environment, interesting customers.

Cons

Horrible people as our bosses. They did not know how to keep in touch with us when we had any questions. Some of them were sexist and some of them just didn't do their job. The POS systems were even ridiculous because they were not understandable.

Advice to Management

Get better management

"Retail Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Clairsville, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Clairsville, OH

Pros

No pros at what so ever.

Cons

Lack of communication between new hires and upper management. I was given no notice nor did I receive any emails or calls informing me when I was supposed to arrive at their so called "training" which teaches anyone new the "basics" of sales. And if you reach this step in the hiring process hopefully they get your last name, logins, and telephone information correct or you will sit there and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR HOURS. Never did I receive any tax forms or any type of new hire information other than my interview with the regional manager which lasted a total of 5 minutes before saying he was going to hire me because of my experience in wireless. I do not recommend this company to anyone seeking employment. Do yourself a favor and stay away, there are plenty of other premium and authorized retailers for cell phone companies that aren't this bad.

Advice to Management

Actually communicate with new hires and employees there is no reason why a new hire has to wait 5 days to find out they start at 10 am and its 10:30 am, make sure logins for new hires actually work and if they don't work don't make them sit on a unprofessional conference call for hours to get a simple password reset. Provide better training material for new hires not just teach them the very basics of selling, show them the phones, plans, etc.

11. "Not that Great of an Experience"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Universal Wireless full-time

Pros

Some pros to this company was the 2 weeks of training. Some may have seen it as a waste of time but I enjoyed making new friends. The benefits looked promising and were cheap enough to afford. I enjoyed working with my online trainer the most because he seemed like he cared the most about his students' success.

Cons

The cons where that it seems as if HR cares a lot about the training and want their staff to make good money while having a great time but down stairs, if you will, did not care at all. My "Market Manager" would never return phone calls, emails, or texts. I would bother him day in and day out just to answer the simplest questions. Their unorganization and unwillingness to help sales consultants is what made me leave this company.

Advice to Management

HR, you are doing great! Keep it up. Trainers that train online, you are also doing awesome! But Market Managers in the state of IL, I understand you are busy but if you want to keep amazing sales consultant that make you have a good name, then I advise doing your job by managing us.