University Health (Shreveport) Reviews | Glassdoor

Dan Snyder

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Chief"

I have been working at University Health (Shreveport) full-time

Pros

Good colleagues and benefits are average.

Cons

Poor management and leadership that is there

2. "Mostly a good environment, sometimes frustrating."

Former Employee - Gross Tech in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Gross Tech in Shreveport, LA

I worked at University Health (Shreveport) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a large hospital with a lot of really skilled surgeons, so you get to see a lot of really cool cases.

Cons

Because its a large hospital, getting anything done requires several levels of management to weigh in, so that even replacing a scale on your own becomes a big deal.

Advice to Management

Streamline communication.

3. "Manager"

I have been working at University Health (Shreveport) full-time

Pros

Benefits package: PTO/401K is good.

Cons

If stability is what you are seeking, proceed with caution. Company has been in a state of turmoil and transition since 2013. Most recent partnership with Ochsner Health System will hopefully improve overall organizational structure and bring much needed calm to working environment and employee morale.

Advice to Management

Improve practice of promoting/hiring from within, provide more professional educational opportunities for employees.

4. "Patient Access Representative"

Former Employee - Patient Acccess Representative ER in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Patient Acccess Representative ER in Shreveport, LA

I worked at University Health (Shreveport) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of overtime available, plus the opportunity to switch either to Day, Evening, or Night shift. There is also a +$1 to +$2 shift diff depending on what shift you work.

As a PA, you get to learn many avenues, and know what it's like to be on the 'other side' of processing different types of information or fulfilling assignments. Something to look up to for your resume. It's a very broad job, and it's certainly an insult for it to be considered clerical work when there's so much more than that.

You're on your feet a lot. It's hardly a sit-down job, or at least depending on what position you are in on a certain day. Therefore, you are very busy, time flies by, and you even manage weight by burning a lot of calories.

Turnover is pretty high. While this may be considered a bad thing, I considered it great because I got to meet lots of new people that I really liked a lot. I hardly had a problem with anyone.

If you make a mistake, management is typically good with giving you breathing room on learning and being coached.

Cons

Training is terrible

Management seems cool and laid back, but when it seems like you want to report something or give a concern, they don't really jump on top of it, or try to talk their way around it.

You are often blamed for a lot of mistakes that are not yours to own, yet when nurses make mistakes, they call you to correct their errors. You are very watched by everybody around you, and people are quick to report you for any little thing. As a PA, you really do have a bad rep all around the hospital. Sometimes I'd walk by and get these weird stares from other departments. I kind of get the vibe we are not very liked.

Nurses/Doctors, and other employees outside of PA think you're stupid, think you don't know how to do your job and you are often shoved to the side as if you have no real important role in what goes on behind the scenes. But, oh you do. Part of your job is to assure the flow of money comes through the entity of UH. So, uh, yes, you're very important, but you are made to feel you're not and that you're invisible.

You are disrespected daily as well as a victim of verbal abuse. When you are mistreated, there is no type of support system. Management will tell you not to take it seriously and tell you to place yourself in the shoes of patients, yet no one is to be placed in our shoes. You are likely to be reported if you expose any ounce of defending yourself to patients or visitors who have a huge entitlement problem. You MUST have thick skin to work here. The level of rudeness I've had to deal with was such a cultural shock to me that I could barely believe it.

A second point to being disrespected = when you're doing your work, which a majority of your responsibilities requires patient interviewing, you will often be interrupted by nurses and doctors coming into the patient's room and acting like you're not standing there. It has been one of the worst feelings in the world to have to excuse yourself out of the room and wait for them to get done. One nurse that did this to me had caused a huge misunderstanding between me and the patient becuase I didn't get a chance to fully explain a certain situation before being interrupted. This is a HUGE problem with Patient Access becuase once again, you are seen as less important. Nurses/doctors rarely apologize and wait outside the door becuase PAs never go inside and interrupt patient care. So, why is it that it's okay for us to be insulted like this? And if nurses/doctors do come in and acknowledge you, they'll just stand there and wait, which puts more pressure on you to hasten up those questions and you're even more nervous. I DESPISE this part of PA the most.

There's barely any appreciation for what you do. While nurses get to have eat-outs on the job and are always highly given special treatment, there is nothing like that for Patient Access, unless you want to count Patient Access Week in April, where all you get to do is eat chilly dogs, and given a bag of boring food like popcorn and a can of soda.

You are exposed to patient conditions a lot. Therefore, you may experience increased illnesses. When you have to sign in or arrive those patients, you don't know what's wrong with them until the doctors figure out what they have. You're right in the faces of those patients. Very close contact.

You are paid a crappy salary for not only all you have to go through, but all the responsibilities you have. For what I've gone through and have seen my fellow coworkers go through, this job SHOULD pay at least $17 to $20. Salary is between $11 and $13. VERY ridiculous. There are hardly any raises, and had I known the job would cause me this much misery, I never would have arrived for an interview. I was barely happy coming to work.

Sometimes it's difficult to get a break, but when you clock out and it asks you if you had a break, and you choose no, you'll hear from the higher ups on why that didn't happen, and it's usually drama.

Uniforms are blue button-down shirts. I have often had some embarrassing malfunctions where my buttons were unbuttoned and I wasn't aware until I happen to see so or if somebody pointed it out. It is a pain in the butt to wear those shirts. Speaking of uniforms, they make you spend nearly $30 for those shirts, and you have to go to Cintas to pick them up, which was really a hassle for me at the time.

Parking is a nightmare. You are forced to park about four blocks away where there is no reliable security guard to watch over your cars during the night. The hospital has experienced car vandalizing, and if your car is one of them, the financial responsibilities are on you. UH will turn their heads and not deal with it. I have not known any PA reps that got to park at a more convenient spot, unless if you work at the ACC building across the street.

Advice to Management

I think management should consider a lot of things their employees have to say. It is often your subordinates have better ideas than you do that can better utilize not only the work stations but also release unnecessary stress between coworkers. It is easy to sit in your office and not be in the front lines of what PAs have to go through. Have meetings and actually get to understand what your PAs feel and what they are going through, or how the working environment can be easier.

"Overworked, Underpaid, and poorly Managed"

Current Employee - MRI Technologist in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - MRI Technologist in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at University Health (Shreveport) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really good nursing and allied health staff. You get to go home and forget about this place after your shift.

Cons

Favoritism at its finest. Certain managers like hiring only similar people. Too many lazy coworkers that bring down morale of entire dept. Management talks crap about employees to other employees. My manager is clueless to what the employees even do as she isn’t trained in the same field. Low pay, expensive and horrible cafeteria that offers Zero employee discounts, except to their “friends”, and what a discount they receive. Dept is dirty average health ins. Terrible parking. I can go on and on. I am currently seeking an opportunity elsewhere. Wonder why this Dept can’t keep any long timers. Second floor is a large dept that needs an enema and restructuring ASAP

Advice to Management

Be professional. Don’t fraternize with the employees and reveal your personal opinions. Stick up for your employees and stop blaming the wrong people because you don’t want to see the truth.

"Busy hospital, GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at University Health (Shreveport) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Resources always available. Best doctors and nurses are created here. The rich, the poor, young, old, smart, and ignorant are all welcome here. Level 1 Trauma Center for Pediatric and Adults, Stroke Center

Cons

Funding for housekeeping, equipment, supplies is not available. Things are always broken, missing, filthy. So busy that waiting room stays full. Night shift cafeteria food needs SALAD BAR!

Advice to Management

It doesn’t do any good to paint the boat fancy colors if the holes haven’t been repaired! (Our new landscaping is beautiful but our patient’s rooms have holes in the walls and broken equipment.). We get emails of praise for our commitment but we do not get raises. Night shift would like to partake in the events the day shift is privy!

7. "It was an alright place to work."

I worked at University Health (Shreveport) full-time

Pros

It wasn't much to do once you finished cleaning all of your rooms. Time flew by once you got the hang of how to clean the rooms.

Cons

I have none that I can remember.

8. "Level 1 Trauma Center"

Former Employee - ER Support Clerk in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - ER Support Clerk in Shreveport, LA

I worked at University Health (Shreveport) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people were great, management was shifty. Overall a good experience, exposes you to so much.

Cons

Wasn't a good fit for me because I could never become numb to death. Seeing children and victims of all types of violence die every week is never easy, but it is expected with working in this type of environment. Not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

I have none.

"Business"

I have been working at University Health (Shreveport) full-time

Pros

community service. Hospital is needed

Cons

Fighting between LSU and hospital

10. "Nursing Services Director - Transfer Center"

Current Employee - RN Supervisor in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - RN Supervisor in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at University Health (Shreveport) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Working Environment
    Long Term Employees
    Administrative Team Improving Patient Care

Cons

Lot of controversy in the news regarding our managing partners

Advice to Management

Hang in there!