University Physicians Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Manager in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at University Physicians (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good money, good benefits, bonuses are not just for upper management

Cons

Not enough emphasis put on work life balance.

Advice to Management

Value the employees that have been loyal to the company

2. "Inpatient medical coder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at University Physicians (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of room to grow, the people are top notch with a strong sense of community

Cons

Can't really think of anything that would be a deal breaker. Just the normal office politics.

Advice to Management

Same response as on Cons

3. "Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, AZ

I worked at University Physicians (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people fulfilling a great mission.

Cons

There are no cons. I was with this company 21 years...as were many others.

Advice to Management

Place more emphasis on the positive for those with data entry responsibilities

5. "Medical Transcriptionist, Pathology Office"

Former Employee - Senior Secretary/Administrative Assistant in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Secretary/Administrative Assistant in Centennial, CO

I worked at University Physicians (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great group of doctors to work for. Exciting, cutting edge pathology.

Cons

Management lacked insight and was oblivious to or complicit in borderline tactics with employees.

Advice to Management

I worked there for 9.5 years and loved my work. Enjoyed most of my co-workers.

6. "Medical Office Assistant"

Current Employee - Medical Office Assistant in Flowood, MS

Pros

Benefits are good. Co-workers are wonderful. Location is great.

Cons

Policies and procedures are unfair. Pay is not comparable to work load.

7. "Medical Office Assistant"

Current Employee - Medical Office Assistant in Flowood, MS

I have been working at University Physicians (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful work environment & lots of wonderful people

Cons

The pay for hourly workers could be better.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be that they listen to the workers of the company. We are the ones that work with the patients, vendors and other staff members.

8. "Excellence!!!!"

Current Employee - Information Services Department in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Information Services Department in Aurora, CO

I have been working at University Physicians (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, excellent benefits, career advancement opportunities (people can be promoted in less than a year), various training opportunities, company pays for certifications (role based), fun/festive company events, fantastic work environment, great management (in every department) and endless opportunities to grow (managers want you to grow).
    I've been with University Physicians, Inc. for almost 6 years now and from day 1 it has been nothing but an amazing experience. Company is innovative, fast paced and focused on providing excellent services to our employees,providers/patients. Excellent training opportunities are always available and management always puts a lot of value in their employees and their development...to simply say; there's a reason why many employees have been at UPI for over 10-25 years. If you are a person that remains driven, ambitious to develop your career and carries a positive can do attitude this is the right place for you. I have worked for a few top Fortune companies in the past and none of them compare to UPI.

Cons

Absolutely no cons; there's a reason why more than half of the companys employees have been with UPI for 10-25 years.

"No Communication"

Former Employee - Information Services in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Information Services in Aurora, CO

I worked at University Physicians full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ok salary, nice building, knowledgeable employees. Some decent programs offered though the campus. UPI had some fun events at various times of the year, opportunity to meet workers in other areas. Close to Denver, a plus and minus. Nice views, city life.

Cons

Communication was severely lacking! "Managers" regularly wanted information from workers, but literally no communication came down. The appearance was, no concern for employees or making working conditions better.

As other reviewers indicated, the company doesn't focus on or care if current employees leave. Some employees had been there for years. But many said they didn't like it, were just dealing with it for now. Didn't make for a happy place.

Close to Denver, the negatives. Coming from the south 25 area at 8 am, traffic was ROUGH...bumper to bumper! They're building the rail coming through there. So much construction jammed up traffic. UPI is also located right next to where the new VA hospital "village" is being built. Traffic was already a nightmare, can't imagine people commuting in there now, or after the hospital opens.

Vacation time would be decent, except, you have to use that when you're sick or have appointments also. They had no sick leave, only extended illness. What that meant, if you're sick for 1-2 days, or have a doctors appointment, you have to use your regular vacation time. After 3 days, you can use extended illness time off, but may have to show a doctors notice. No real sick time off, in 2015, is crazy!

Overall, the main reason I left, terrible management. Employees had great ideas on improving, but managers didn't want to listen...complete shutdown! It felt very tense, constant worry that you may voice your opinion, or give suggestions on how to improve, and end up jobless. Spoke with HR a few times. They thought things were perfect, and employees should be grateful for being employed. HR manager said there are worse places. Happy to tell you, there are better also. Don't settle for a paycheck. Much happier now.

Advice to Management

Ask for input, listen to it, and ACT on it. There were several people I spoke with who felt their opinions and ideas were discouraged. I understand some of them left already. Read the writings on the wall. The company has been around for awhile, but is not moving forward. Get outside ideas, meaning, ideas from outside your offices! Look for ways to do things different! Tech companies are leading the charge in employee satisfaction, causing people to expect more, but at the same time, produce more. Lean into the future, or fall in the past!

"Work here as a last resort"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Aurora, CO

I worked at University Physicians full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay.
    Decent benefits.
    Good co-workers.
    Free covered parking.
    Reasonable work hours. Working more than an 8 hour day is only rarely asked.
    The 'UPI culture' is that mediocrity reigns so if that's your style this employer is for you.

Cons

My management manager chain is atrocious. I stopped counting how often I caught them lying to me or heard about them lying about me to others to cover their own mistakes. Ethics and morals don't exist for this chain and they will happily lie to you or even suggest you lie about something if it helps their purpose. The management incompetence level is also well beyond anything I've seen in my 17+ years working in IT especially considering the pay plus bonus they make.

They will tell prospective employees there is development work and training but the IS policy is they actually do not develop their people so the only training received is on the main financial application used and the only development is done by consultants or contractors leaving the FTEs to clean up the mess and support applications they have not been trained on at the drop of a hat. Programmers end up just being glorified support/help desk.

The environment there is always very secretive and there is no transparency. Management is always trying to keep secrets and rarely is input ever sought from the employees. There is no trust in the abilities or in general in the worker bees in the trenches every day who have the expertise and the end result is decisions made and promises offered that lead to major issues down the road on projects and very low employee morale. I've never seen a worse management style.

Unless you live on the east side of town you will have a very difficult commute. It's a very tough location to get to and at this time they do not offer working remotely. They are trying a 'pilot' telecommuting program but the Gestapo like guidelines the HR and management expect those in the pilot to follow are at the time of this writing forcing those in the pilot not to sign the agreement. They even expect and have suggested people sign even though they disagree with the agreement because 'most likely the rules wouldn't be enforced anyway'. More ethics issues.

The 'UPI culture' is that mediocrity reigns so if you are the kind of person that likes to excel this employer will rub you the wrong way. There is no accountability for mistakes, errors, or lack or responsiveness so the cycle of low quality work and missed deadlines continues.

Advice to Management

The management chain should really be removed and they start fresh. They've been there too long and have developed power, territorial, and control issues because they weren't trained properly to be managers and know no other way.

Trust the expertise and input of your people and actually seek it out so proper decisions can be made. Management 101 is take the direction of the upper management and combine it with the expertise of the subordinates to make informed decisions and properly guide the business direction.

Develop your people so they will be happy and want to stay. The attitude that you'll get two years out of them and just recruit someone else is a poor business model to go by. Focus on retaining as hard as you do on recruiting. Don't hire someone telling them they will be a programmer getting to actually develop and write code like they love to do and then make them do equivalent to tier 3 support work instead.

Treat your people with respect and as the professional adults that they are instead of children that can't be trusted. Actually care about the people in the trenches. Drop the royalty schema where managers are royalty and the people doing the day to day are serfs with no say in anything.

"Many better places to work"

Former Employee - Coder in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Coder in Aurora, CO

I worked at University Physicians full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary. Not outstanding, benefits fair, but you start with zero time off. Building ok cubes not so ok
    Some good staff but not managers

Cons

Management is clueless -managers have no experience or skills handling people. Department backstabbing and infighting out of control. Staff have zero input. What you're told at interviews are not even close to what you'll do or what it'll be like. Most staff unhappy .

Advice to Management

Listen to staff