University of Arizona "tucson" Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Arizona President Ann Weaver Hart
Ann Weaver Hart
  1. "GA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Arizona part-time for less than a year

Pros

relaxed, opportunities to learn, good work-life balance

Cons

relatively low pay, Tucson weather gets really hot in summer

University of Arizona2018-09-13
  2. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful Campus - good work/life balance

Cons

Off campus, Tucson can be hit or miss

University of Arizona2018-08-13
  3. "Lack of accountability, bureaucratic nightmare"

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, a lot of great employees, a paid week off at Christmas

Cons

They recruit talented people from all over the country who move to Tucson with the intention of staying for the long term. Some people have great experiences, but others lack the support they need to succeed and then are stuck because there are so few other jobs in the area. Some common issues: Vastly different pay for similar job titles and responsibilities. Bosses who refuse to put anything in writing (due to public records laws), leading to a lack of accountability. Bosses who have been promoted to level of their incompetence (and beyond). Complicated organizational structure that makes it near impossible to effectuate change. Annual contracts for (non-faculty) professionals. This provides a level of job security, but can also held over your head to elicit subordination (they do not need a justification to non-renew). The old guard administration does not want to change and you face ostracism if you try to make significant improvements. Also the parking is very expensive for employees and there are very few spots.

Advice to Management

Pay people fairly and stop giving everyone different job titles to justify inequitable salaries. Get rid of administrators who perpetuate a fear-based, self-defeating culture. Empower employees to improve their working environments.

University of Arizona2018-09-01
  4. "U of A"

in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona

Pros

Great benefits, job security, insurance, clean buildings, tuition reduction, paid holidays off, you get to work and live in Tucson which has a very reasonable cost of living

Cons

Some of the bad things about working at the university is that you can get stuck in one position without prospect of moving ahead

University of Arizona2018-04-02

"Professor"

Former Employee - Professor

I worked at University of Arizona full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Depends on the department or program. Library and tech support are adequate. Nice climate except for May through October. Major pro: Tucson airport.

Cons

UA suffers from the same anxieties & frustrations of all tier 2 (and lower) universities. Worst is its rigid and antiquated top-down administrative structure where all faculty input is only (at best) "advisory to the department head" and dept. head input is advisory to the dean, and so on to the Provost and President and on up to the Arizona Board of Regents who are... well, it's Arizona. Possible to get by via special deals, carve-outs, niche opportunities.

Advice to Management

Don't assume the Univ. of Arizona operates the way most other land-grant state universities do. It does not. Find out why your predecessor(s) left.

University of Arizona2018-03-10
  6. "Business Development Manager"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great community, staff, and students

Cons

Tucson gets way too hot

University of Arizona2018-01-02
  7. "It's a graduate school"

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time

Pros

Good facilities Good support staff Tucson is pretty nice in the winter

Cons

Poor at helping transition out of academia

University of Arizona2017-11-15
  8. "Awful Place in Every Way"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at University of Arizona

Pros

It's a five word minimum. I cannot say any more.

Cons

This campus makes it very clear visitors are not welcome!!!! I had the unfortunate experience of attending a conference here. I informed the conference sponsors just how horrible this campus is and how no one should attend this campus (it was poorly attended so I can imagine I didn't need to tell them much). I live here in this state, but my children will not be attending this institution. The campus is dirty, overcrowded, and in a dangerous part of town. The conference sponsors were great, however the people working at the campus were not. Navigating the campus is a nightmare, parking is another nightmare. The people that are employed at this campus are untrained, rude and incompetent and made it clear outsiders are not wanted there. I recently attended a meeting at NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY- WONDERFUL SCHOOL!!!! The campus is lovely, the people are friendly and accommodating to both locals and visitors. The professors are some of the best and brightest in their fields. They presented their research as teacher-scholars- no comparison to the U of A who relies on untrained part-timers to teach your children (think about what you are getting for the high cost of tuition). There are much higher quality institutions in this state, for much less!! Small class sizes taught by full-time faculty that know how to teach in a safe part of the state. I'm sure there are other decent schools in this state, but there is no way I would let my child attend UofA ever. As a side note, I work in a STEM field in this state for a company that has employed several grads from UofA to save money. They could not perform the job so out-of-state applicants are relocated at high expense (they are always the better candidate- its unfortunate, but they are better educated, better trained, better workers, and then would invariably leave because Tucson was an awful town and the candidate and their family couldn't stand it here). There's a whole new fresh world out there everyone! Don't be afraid to look elsewhere, even if its up north or out of state- the education is better and it will take you places- trust me!

University of Arizona2017-10-01

"University of Arizona"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Tucson, university, central city, maybe ok for law economics bioscience business. Terrible for humanities, sciences, arts, and social science - i.e. those disciplines interested in truthful exploration and knowledge.

Cons

I find the UA a really terrible place to work. The institution hates its employees.

Advice to Management

Mangement is the problem. It can't be addressed or fixed. It's only goal and purpose is the demoralization of the faculty and staff.

University of Arizona2017-07-06
  10. "Great people and scheduling, low pay"

I worked at University of Arizona part-time

Pros

If you are an undergrad or graduate student, they are good with capping hours or giving you a really flexible schedule. Depending on the department, you can actually move up to something with more responsibility and hours. I worked in four different departments in my time at the U and everyone in each one was so amazing, went above and beyond just being employees.

Cons

The pay is so low. They leave it at minimum wage when most places in Tucson have gone well above that by now. Also you have to pay to park on campus so there goes most of your check.

Advice to Management

Increase student worker wage. They are the backbone of the University.

University of Arizona2017-06-07