University of Arizona "tucson" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2019

4.0
University of Arizona President Ann Weaver Hart
Ann Weaver Hart
  1. "Good place for grad school"

I have been working at University of Arizona

Pros

Large university, lots of research support/facilities.and interdisciplinary opportunities.

Cons

Tucson summers. That is all.

University of Arizona2015-09-30
  2. "OK"

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time

Pros

- freedom depending on group - large athletic community if you're into that - Tucson is a interesting and up and coming city

Cons

- lots of bureaucracy - things move super slowly through the administration - not always most interested in education

Advice to Management

Focus more on education and less on moving up the ladder.

University of Arizona2015-10-07
  3. "Office of Admissions"

Current Employee - Admissions in New Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tucson, AZ has a low cost of living. Overall the campus community is very laid back, with a fun atmosphere and the students seem to be taken care of.

Cons

Looking back on my time at UA I am thankful that I experienced the environment that I did. Now, I know how not to run an admissions office. The overall environment is filled with people who think they are apart of some weird clique-y club with a very selective membership. The office leadership has been in place for the past 10 years with the leader being around for the past 20+ years. This office is filled with "lifers" who were born in Tucson, went to school at UA and now work there and who will retire from there as well. You can image what type of leadership style the breeds. All unclassified employees (non-civil service), are employed on a yearly contract. Do not expect your contract to be renewed in this department unless you are in with the "in crowd" or you are a typical "yes-man/woman" and do not challenge authority. Many who have somehow managed to last year-to-year, apply for other jobs...and surprise, surprise, they advance professionally and they actually enjoy working at the University. I know so many who have relocated or made major changes in their personal lives expecting to at least be employed in the admissions office for 2-3 years. Sadly many only last an average of one year...just one year!! It is evident the leadership does not know how to implement effective, lasting change.

Advice to Management

Be more open to ideas from younger/newer employees of the department. Value ALL members of the department. Reward those who have been with the department for a number of years who are not in the office clique. If I was the Chancellor/President I would seriously look at how business is being done in the admissions office. The office is one giant human resources nightmare just waiting to happen.

University of Arizona2015-09-19
  4. "Postdoc"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cost of living in Tucson means Federally funded postdoc salaries go much further. Good health insurance. Tucson is a good place to live.

Cons

No retirement for postdocs, which is a quibble, but not a big deal. Cost of living makes up for it. Not many postdocs at UofA (something like 450 across the whole University) means we are often forgotten.

Advice to Management

I'm ambivalent about the management of the University as a whole. Obviously, they're in a tough position when it comes to state budgets.

University of Arizona2015-06-29
  5. "Everything I've Ever Wanted In A Job"

Current Employee - Systems Programmer - FSO Technology in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time for less than a year

Pros

Surrounded by excellent co-workers, no drama, above-average work ethic, positive outlook for career advancement. Qualified tuition reduction and great benefits. Management encourages personal/professional growth as a priority. Oh and tacos, yes, tacos (Anita Street Restaurant is a short trip from our building). FSO Technology is an oasis with regard to the University of Arizona.

Cons

Driving in downtown Tucson is a hot mess (horrible drivers). Some people that are in our building but not part of our team can be downright rude and typically have horrible manners. Parking can be a pain in the rear sometimes.

Advice to Management

Qualified tuition reduction is wonderful. My suggestion is to also offer that same benefit but towards certifications (if the employee is not pursuing an Undergrad degree). Enforce parking regulations more vigorously, as there are many days that I spent 10 minutes walking from my car to my office.

University of Arizona2015-06-12
  6. "Working as a graduate student"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Earn a degree while doing cutting edge research in projects that matter. Completely flexible hours. Good community of graduate students to share your pain. Tucson is great.

Cons

Long hours and extremely low pay. Bare minimum health coverage. High variability in workload and management style from your advisor

Advice to Management

I've been fortunate to have a great advisor. Just continue to learn and teach. Be careful to choose an advisor/manager that is compatible with your interests.

University of Arizona2015-05-07
  7. "Large employer in town"

I have been working at University of Arizona part-time

Pros

The university is one of the few companies that gives benefits to part time workers. This is a huge benefit, in addition to being a well established and large employer. Overall, the university is a stable employer in the Tucson area, and the entire town seems to rally around the Wildcats. Most people seem happy to be employed here.

Cons

Whether the job is enjoyable varies greatly by department and surrounding staff. There are a lot of rules and regulations to follow that bog down work and departments are mired in bureaucracy. The upcoming budget cuts could have an impact on certain jobs or job openings.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to utilize existing employees more to fill vacancies within the university and look for ways to keep good instructors and staff.

University of Arizona2015-04-30
  8. "Excellent undergraduate research experience"

Former Employee - UBRP Student in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Arizona full-time for more than a year

Pros

Find the right lab Get great research experience

Cons

Must be in Tucson for the summer

Advice to Management

Thanks for keeping this incredible program going!

University of Arizona2015-02-12
  9. "One of the best university for funding opportunities and research work."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona part-time for more than a year

Pros

Research university and good funding opportunity as well as living expenses at tucson are very less.

Cons

As it is a research university hence very limited course work is offered. As well as very less industry exposure compared to cities like San Jose and LA.

Advice to Management

Increases number of courses in CS and ECE department.

University of Arizona2015-02-06
  10. "Not too bad for hours but crappy pay"

Former Employee - Athletic Training Tech in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Arizona part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible scheduling and friendly staff, they work to accommodate a students schedule and changing hourly needs, easy to get holidays off Flexible scheduling and friendly staff, they work to accommodate a students schedule and changing hourly needs, easy to get holidays off

Cons

Can have rude managers, and supervisors, no time to eat, long shifts, hot and sweaty in Tucson. Early or late hours, very demanding job.

Advice to Management

Better compensation to reduce turnover and improve happiness.

University of Arizona2015-01-29