University of Arkansas Reviews in Little Rock, AR | Glassdoor

4.7
Joseph E. Steinmetz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, often no time to take vacation time, little OT (in 15 reviews)

• there were no cons working here (in 9 reviews)

1. "Graduate assistant"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Little Rock, AR

I worked at University of Arkansas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work. You'll learn a lot.

Cons

Little low on pay.

2. "Good job, but structural problems"

Current Employee - Faculty in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Faculty in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at University of Arkansas full-time

Pros

In general, I like the students I teach. I have a lot of freedom regarding what I teach. The pay is good. My colleagues are collegial, and interesting, and qualified. The University of Arkansas is a strong university, and it is well respected both nationally and internationally. On a good day, it is a fun, interesting, and pleasant place to work.

Cons

My cons are specific to my unit. We need a department chair, not just deans. Management often acts like it is controlling faculty, not collaborating with them. The graduate students need to be held to a higher standard in terms of their behavior. The unit could use a much stronger emphasis on publishing. A promotional mailer was sent out our unit with no mention of the faculty, which was demoralizing.

Advice to Management

Treat the faculty with respect. Value the faculty, and appreciate them. Faculty are integral to the mission of the unit. Require the students to act with decorum towards each other and faculty. Value the external service and publishing efforts of the faculty.

3. "Absolutely loved the Collegiate Life/Students/Professors!"

Former Employee - Admissions Recruiter/Educational Counselor in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Admissions Recruiter/Educational Counselor in Little Rock, AR

Pros

The flexibility presented in my former position as an Admissions/Educational Counselor in which I could use my creativity to recruit prospective students and promote program awareness.

Cons

Distintive separate policies for selected groups.

Advice to Management

Assistance to those whom have been displaced due to lost of grant funding.

4. "A lot of friendly people who treat each other like family."

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Little Rock, AR

Pros

You get a great benefits package. 95% discount on classes, health benefits, retirement and plenty of vacation time. Everyone treats each other like family.

Cons

Your salary working at the University of Arkansas is nowhere near the state average for your position. Sometimes you have to work with people that are incompetent in the areas they should be quite knowledgeable in.

Advice to Management

Try to become more familiar in the areas of your company that you may not quite understand. Areas go on unchecked and end up providing faulty or very unsatisfactory services to customers.