University of Arkansas System Reviews in Arkansas | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Administrative Specialist"

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at University of Arkansas System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the many benefits working at the University. Medical, Vision, Dental, tuition discount and retirement. I also work in a small department which has a family atmosphere.

Cons

Parking is probably the biggest grip on campus. You have to pay to park then take a long hike.

2. "AWESOME place to work!"

Current Employee - EVersity Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - EVersity Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at University of Arkansas System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working here. The people are great, the environment beautiful. Our office is nestled in a park like environment. Lots of trees. Don Bobbitt is an excellent leader and so is Michael Moore. They are very open and approachable. They value their employees and create a work environment that allows for creativity and collaboration.

Cons

There are no negatives I can think of for working at the UA System office. I have enjoyed the experience thus far.

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what you are doing. Your employees truly appreciate it. Your support of us, truly makes all the difference.

3. "Great work. Management could be improved."

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Little Rock, AR

Pros

The graduate students that I teach are terrific. They are bright and motivated. The topics I work on are interesting. They give me a lot of latitude regarding what I teach.

Cons

My cons are only specific to my unit. The management of our unit could use some work. We need a faculty department chair. The upper management should be more sympathetic to the needs of the faculty, and be more faculty centered, and less student centered. The students are extremely coddled. The students need to be required to be more independent.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more emphasis on publishing by the faculty.

5. "its been lovely, but its more than slightly damaged by lack of goals now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Pros

casual attire
    political games are low
    if you are ambitious, you can gather more responsibilities and move into leadership fairly easily

Cons

slow to fill empty positions
    high employee turnover indicates that there are issues throughout the company
    tech issues have begun cropping up

Advice to Management

conduct termination feedback and react to same
    conduct tech surveys and determine what tech will help fulfill company goals and what are holding the company down

6. "Working within the program and students in wonderful, departmental and college support of program needs is frustrating."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Pros

The univeristy where I work offers a number of graduate programs that allow adults of continue their educations. These opportunities allow graduates to increase their professional growth, portability and income.

Cons

Each college is its own community. Some of the procedures, requirements, and practices of each college can be vastly different. Programs that do not have a strong link to the colleges larger program or that is not the area of expertise for the dean often have to struggle to get the support and resources that they need to meet the students needs within their program.

Advice to Management

Always attempt to look at the big picture and then explore how it will impact each university, college and program.

7. "Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Good working Atmosphere, great benefits

Cons

Low wages and jobs are based on funding

8. "Research at U of A"

Current Employee - Researcher in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Researcher in Fayetteville, AR

Pros

Research facilities, library resources, experienced professors

Cons

Poor management, transportation, location of research facilities

Advice to Management

Management training and emotional intelligence

9. "Above Average Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Very culturally diverse environment. Pretty progressive considering it is in Arkansas. Great benefits make up for the lower than industry salaries.

Cons

The salaries are 20% less than one could make in a similar job in the private sector. Tenure system keeps too many professors there who should have retired.

Advice to Management

Train your managers in how to manage people not just tasks.

10. "Student Job, not bad"

Former Employee - Technology Assistant in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Technology Assistant in Little Rock, AR

Pros

The pros was it was an entry-level student job which gave me alot of visiblity within the University Student Service Divisions.

Cons

The downside was the pay in being a non-degreed student worker. There were not to many opportunites for upward mobility from my perspective

Advice to Management

Overall it was a good experience, however more opportunites for advancement or better pay would really make work at University of Arkansas Little Rock better.

11. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Pros

As a GA I was very well taken care of. It is the most rewarding place to work as a GA on UALR campus if you are a business major. Everyone seems to be more like a family here and works together well overall.

Cons

Many of the projects I was tasked took lots of time and the consultants you work with sometimes don't understand this and get impatient.

Advice to Management

Great job. You have made this a very good work experience and I will try to use much of the support you have shown me in my career as I go forward.