University of Birmingham Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Birmingham Chancellor Karan Bilimoria
Karan Bilimoria

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No cons to working at University of Birmingham (in 3 reviews)

• Bureaucratic red tape which makes green-lighting anything in a timely fashion nearly impossible (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great part time work as student caller"

I worked at University of Birmingham part-time

Pros

Flexible working hours with great understanding for working around studies

Cons

nothing. this was a great job.

2. "Graduate Teaching Associate"

I worked at University of Birmingham part-time

Pros

Decent pay, lots of course options, good students

Cons

Lots of under the table expectations, poor investment by faculty and administrators

Advice to Management

Stop expecting GTAs to do all your work and not pay them for marking.

3. "University"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in East Windsor, NJ
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in East Windsor, NJ

I worked at University of Birmingham (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice People and atmosphere and super challenging

Cons

Too many people in lab and few equipment

4. "Postdoc"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at University of Birmingham (More than a year)

Pros

Good equipment, great people. My supervisors were pretty good and work waas flexible as you like

Cons

IT are a pain! You might have to buy your own computer to get stuff done...

Advice to Management

Sort out the IT

5. "Medical PhD Student"

I have been working at University of Birmingham full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, a lot of support, opportunities to learn and develop a lot

Cons

Long hours, a lot of paper work

6. "PhD"

Former Employee - PhD Researcher in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PhD Researcher in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Birmingham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A highly ranked university, access to a lot of equipment

Cons

as a PhD student, don't get supervision often enough, in my particular department (met and mat)

7. "Supportive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Birmingham full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a MSc student rep and it gave me full opportunity to work with teachers and other fellows

Cons

I would like to serve on more positions

Advice to Management

Good Working environment, please maintain it.

8. "Supportive for my future"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Birmingham part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Support for future after finishing my degree, positive, gave me lots of opportunities.

Cons

Was a temporary role, would have liked to continue.

9. "Curate's Egg"

Current Employee - Professor in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Professor in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Birmingham full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Campus is well kept, there is a very high level of investment in buildings.

The academics here are generally very good.

Cons

Low level bureaucracy is massively underfunded so that basic operations don't function properly (HR, contracts and purchasing are particular lows) .

High level non-academic roles are many, but in some cases they are pretty ineffective.

Funding for small things at departmental level is very poor, so you have to pay your own expenses more often than not.

There is nowhere near enough parking for the number of staff on site.

"University of Birmingham from a former lecturer's perspective"

Former Employee - Senior Lecturer
    Former Employee - Senior Lecturer

I worked at University of Birmingham full-time

Pros

The pros are the lovely campus, with a new library and forthcoming 'green heart'. As in most British universities, colleagues are lovely. There are opportunities for funding and an excellent research office to support grant-writing. Students, although rather too goal-orientated (i.e. focused on marks rather than intellectual achievement) are good. If you play the game, and are rhetorical, career opportunities are good, especially if you are a man and are white.

Cons

In my experience, Birmingham's management is high-handed and brutal. Care for staff is minimal and to work here you need to be rhetorically minded and able to market yourself. The ability to market yourself will outweigh intellectual abilities and will get you noticed by senior management, who will then help you to advance. You will be told that your work is not good enough even if you get grants and do 4* research: it is never enough. The over-paid vice-chancellor rides roughshod over the history of the University in order to put in conservative changes which promote not intellectual searching, but conformism, a conformism which shatters intellectual freedom, devalues many subjects in the university, and devalues the multiplicity and breadth of intellectual pursuit. There is no opportunity to do unpopular research or to risk, and that means conformism. Staff at Birmingham, at least in my neck of the woods, were under tremendous stress, many had become anxious and were afraid of failing, even when excellent. Those that didn't conform are managed out. This is not an institution which knows how to nurture women's careers: the management is still largely white and male and the rhetoric is male and often battle-orientated. If you take a job here, check the status of your Department in the eyes of the management: if it is not in favour, you are unlikely to find long-term favour, however good you are. If you are not rhetorical, thick skinned and marketable, then chose another institution. The aims of Birmingham are shallow: money and status. If those are your aims then UoB is likely to satisfy you. I have moved elsewhere now, where management is humane and more trusting and the values are closer to my own.

Advice to Management

Your rhetorical tagline says you are 'bold'. Be that. The conformism to the demands of government, a government which obsessively measures falsehoods (REF does not really measure intellectual abilities; TEF is a measure of staff popularity and the turning of organisational wheels, not of real learning) needs to come second to supporting academic staff in their individual and collective pursuit of intellectual excellence in teaching and research. Strip away the rhetorical competition, which creates only mass neurosis, and strip away the layers of administration. Let academics do what they do so well: teach and research to the standards that they set themselves, which are already so high. Academics know when their work is good - but micromanaging them into always doing more, until they have no life left, will burn them out and drive the best of them away.