University of California Berkeley Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
University of California Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas B. Dirks
Nicholas B. Dirks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very flexible and understanding (at least in my department) when it comes to work-life balance (in 60 reviews)

• great work environment and city (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to non uni jobs (in 65 reviews)

• Work/life balance could be improved (in 18 reviews)

1. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Mason in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Mason in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great weather. Small campus.

Cons

Lazy co workers.Management has no accountability.Workers do what they want. Workers were just put into job titles to fill the position.( facility maintenance)

Advice to Management

Hire more knowledgeable people.

2. "Are you kidding? Tax Payers should know they are funding fraud"

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time

Pros

Benefits, location, transportation, reputation (on the surface/business)

Cons

I know people here are lying their teeth off (with 1/3 of total staff laid off recently and staff routinely anxious, restless, and unhappy on campus, I don't know how UCB can have 4-5 stars). Admin disorganization, gutless leadership, institutional corruption and dishonesty, mobbing and bullying; simply doing your job and being professional is not enough - you have to follow group culture, and they have to like you; otherwise, be prepared to be extremely uncomfortable at work (and they can be borderline insane/sociopathic and not above playing games in and out of work). If you are a decent human being - RUN!!!

3. "Horrible place to work"

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time

Pros

None at all. Don't exist.

Cons

They say they are open but really not.

4. "Sucks to be GSI"

Pros

It's great to teach students

Cons

You get paid nothing for a ridiculous workload

Advice to Management

Listen to your unions

5. "Director Business Development"

Former Employee - Director Business Development in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Director Business Development in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly staff. Lot of campus activities. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Lack of accountability. I had 6 different bosses. Restructuring was the norm. Hard to get resources. Stale mentality: "We've always done is this way". Hard to convince leadership to invest in resources. I was often told that just because I went to Cal didn't mean anything.

Advice to Management

Run the university like a business, with structure, accountability, and procedures. implement much higher standards for hiring. Launch a marketing campaign to hire Cal grads.

6. "A top rank school for undergrad/grad studies but not postdoc"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UC Berkeley is definitely a top rank school for undergraduate or graduate studies. Excellent location and weather.

Cons

Several advisers organize postdoc appointments similar to undergrad/grad students. The expectation for such students is doing insane study and research (minimum expectation of >60 hours/week). This might be good for young students to publish high impact factor articles. A postdoc has done already such insane efforts in his/her MSc/PhD period and it is improper to push postdocs to work >60 hours/week in a mandatory way to meet the expected performance (including mandatory works in weekends). A postdoc is a short term appointment to do research, publish a few papers and in parallel, perform a professional career development tasks including fellowship programs, referee for journals and conference committees and contribute in external research funding. This short term career development cannot be organized properly if pushing >60 hours/week to do only research. This school is an improper place for doing postdoc but excellent for doing undergraduate/graduate studies. In addition, it is not recommended to work for young advisers as a postdoc at UC Berkeley. Sometimes, they can simply impose conflict of interest or competence to postdocs and the school does not have proper platforms to provide professional solutions to help postdocs to develop their short term career properly and at least, join another group. The university staff (advisers, organizers, etc.) do not have proper leadership and organization skills. They require to attend several workshops to gain skills and experiences on proper project organization, management and handling basic conflicts in the work area. If looking for a place to develop an excellent academic postdoc in the Bay area without observing such organization troubles, it might be better to consider Stanford University.

Advice to Management

Consider career workshops for staff, postdocs and students including project management, project organization, the way to handle conflict in working area and harassment. Everything is not only doing research in a blind way to get high impact factor publication to keep the raking of the school. The current organization is very weak.

7. "Dysfuntional to the max"

Pros

Flexible hours, benefits are fair

Cons

Too much politics and turf protecting

"Stellar public university has lost its light, become neoliberal corporation, eating & exploiting grad students' souls"

Current Employee - Gsi in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Gsi in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful weather, great area food, (for now) prestigious name on the CV, a few wonderful peers

Cons

Toxic campus environment that protects sexual harassers and abusers, funnels police resources into stifling free speech rather than stopping violence, and engenders cruel competition to diminishing funding for academic endeavors while management rakes in higher and higher salaries.

Advice to Management

Fire 2/3 of management and spend that money on your academic staff (livable wages for Graduate Students, more tenure-track positions, research and classroom funding) and basic campus needs like fixing those toilets that have been covered in plastic for the last 5 years. Replace Janet Napolitano with an academic who cares about higher education, not higher income; and replace Nicholas Dirks with a Chancellor who can stand up for the interests of education, not neoliberalism.

9. "Data Entry Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Pros

All of my coworkers were hard workers and we helped each other complete tasks. It was a laid back environment when the managers were not there.

Cons

My managers were terrible, giving me attitude every time I didn't do things their way or making a mistake. Despite having no workstudy left, they expected me to work still.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your employees and don't talk to them like they don't know anything. Giving us attitude doesn't make us want to do the work faster, but it makes us despise you.

10. "lab assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Pros

help students debugging code and understand material

Cons

too few helper and difficult to do

Showing 32 of 1,765 reviews