University of California - Office of the President Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
University of California - Office of the President President Janet Napolitano
Janet Napolitano

Pros
Cons
  • Long working hours with really poor work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Job security is unfortunately very low (in 4 reviews)

1. "Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at University of California - Office of the President (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Slow to change culture sometimes

2. "Retirement Plan"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA

I have been working at University of California - Office of the President full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UC has good name recognition

Cons

bureaucratic culture, and lack of efficiencies

Advice to Management

none

3. "Anxiety inducing atmosphere"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Oakland, CA

I have been working at University of California - Office of the President full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent enough pay for a pretty easy and simple job.

Cons

I do not feel like I have job security, and feel like every small mistake could disqualify me from the position. My manager plays me hot and cold, and is very passive aggressive toward me.

Advice to Management

Be straight with your employees about their employment status.

5. "Technician"

Former Employee - Student in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Student in Atlanta, GA

I worked at University of California - Office of the President (Less than a year)

Pros

good working environment, pay sub is quick and on time

Cons

nothing special, but the website account confused me a while

Advice to Management

keep doing good

"Interesting, but not in a good way"

Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at University of California - Office of the President (More than 3 years)

Pros

Resume gem, great coworker camaraderie, and pretty decent pay. My team, minus a few people, were some of the best people to work with.

Cons

Amount of work, amount of systems and processes to learn and understand, shady management, long time employees are abusing the org with zero repercussions, very poor treatment of those who do work hard and provide benefits to the UC system.

Advice to Management

Be honest and upfront. Stop dancing around problems and act. Stop micromanaging.

"Assistant III"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at University of California - Office of the President full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, plenty of work.

Cons

Management not honest. Unable to remain neutral and unbiased.

Advice to Management

Remember to whom they work for. Without the dedication of the students and professors we would not be there.

"UCOP is an ok place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at University of California - Office of the President full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, even in IT. When I take time off, I am off. Yes, emergencies come up and I can get called, but I expect that being in IT.

Long term benefits are excellent. Where else can you stay in the same position for decades, do the same thing day in and day out, and get an awesome pension?

Predictable environment - no surprises.

Cons

Too many people have a sense of entitlement. They don't step up and prove they're good but rather use their title or role as justification to behave a certain way. Bad attitude is tolerated. Lots of "us vs them" mentality.

Everything requiring decisions requires rounds and rounds of discussions with multiple levels. Haven't you guys heard of "try it first, then change it if it doesn't work"? This prevents teams from being nimble, flexible, and innovative.

Not much trust in employees. There is always someone bringing in consultants to do the work. Then the project becomes overrun with them.

Advice to Management

Give staff responsibility and hold them accountable. Don't coddle people. Get rid of poor performers and people with bad attitudes. Slow down on the high paid consultants. This is our taxpayer dollars, not a blank check.

9. "Intern Review"

Former Employee - Data Visualization Developer in Greenfield, CA
    Former Employee - Data Visualization Developer in Greenfield, CA

Pros

Got to work very close with my PI, which prepared me very well for any graduate program I may consider doing in the future. Networking was also very easily attainable while working with my mentor and I feel the skills I learned in the lab will easily translate into industry.

Cons

Sometimes it does get very hectic trying to meet deadlines while also trying to balance your class work. Our group was very big and it was a bit difficult knowing who to go to for certain questions.

"Good on resume, not great balance or pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

Looks great on your resume since it's such a high prestige school, chances are you'll make good contacts and get good experience.

Cons

Extremely low pay, especially considering living expenses in orange county. Not much flexibility from management or professors, you will be expected to work more 50-70 hours per week and maintaining a healthy work-life balance is extremely difficult.

"Instructor/professor"

Former Employee - Instructor-InterCoast College in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor-InterCoast College in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at University of California - Office of the President part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the caliber of the student and the ability to educate on a collegiate level

Cons

The job was not tenured, only part time and there were no chance of getting a position on staff in any form of professorship (instructor, assistant, tenure track etc.) Very disappointing!

Advice to Management

Be open and honest with your staff. If a student doesn't pass don't suggest that the professor pass the student with a "C" grade.