University of California - Office of the President Reviews | Glassdoor

University of California - Office of the President President Janet Napolitano
Janet Napolitano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Job security is unfortunately very low (in 4 reviews)

• Because it's a state agency, there is always red tape (in 3 reviews)

1. "Flexible Place to work"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Irvine, CA

I worked at University of California - Office of the President part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is great working with the school. If you're a student they are very flexible with your schedule. Provide development for jobs skills that are applicable in other professions.

Cons

Small office for those who like working in larger setting.

Advice to Management

Great Moral, keep it up!

2. "Bureaucratic nightmare"

I worked at University of California - Office of the President full-time

Pros

Some good people; UC itself is a great and important institution

Cons

Crushing bureaucracy; no accountability for largely mediocre staff and performance;

"Still a convoluted, political place, but things are getting better in IT"

Current Employee - IT Lead in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - IT Lead in Oakland, CA

I have been working at University of California - Office of the President full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the last few years, new IT management has come in and they're making changes that are more visible and consistent across the organization. Finally someone with the desire to make IT better.

I like what they're doing - shaking things up slightly. Changing things. They are trying to keep up to date on tech and sometimes people need to be kept up to date as well. Either train and learn something new, or get left behind.

I see some long time UC employees move on because of this. While I don't like to see my colleagues leave, in the end, it's good for everyone and the company.

Good IT management.

Cons

Bad behavior is tolerated. I don't know why people who dislike their position or role at UCOP stay. Just leave and find a place that will make you happier. Don't drag me down because you don't like it here. Those who are so negative about this place should leave, rather than make everyone around you hear your complaining. Take some personal responsibility.

Advice to Management

Keep making changes from the "old way" and move towards the 20th century. It's the only way to continue turning this ship around.

"Needs to be fair"

Current Employee - Production Assistant in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in Riverside, CA

I have been working at University of California - Office of the President full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

>Benefits
    >Most are Great people to work with
    >Right off the freeway
    >great work/life balance
    >the senior management are great people
    >Pay is decent

Cons

>Employees wont get ahead based on Merit, Qualifications or Experience
    >You have to suck up to Managers and supervisors to move ahead
    >Since supervisors are part of interview panels they have a big say on who to hire, so a lot of their friends have been hired, some who have no prior related experience.
    >the newer less experienced and less qualified new hires are earning more than their counterparts who have been there way longer.
    >some Assistants are earning more than Associates in the same department
    >Supervisors are refusing to learn the work that the employees they supervise do. They do "back seat" supervising, making them more of a barrier than being a help to their team.
    > It seems like everyone who applied has been hired. Quantity is preferred over Quality employees, this could hurt the center in the long run.

Advice to Management

>Upper management seem to be unaware of the reality of the situation in the workplace. they are given all "great" news on everything by the supervisors and managers. Associates and Assistants would tell a different story if there wasn't a fear of losing their jobs to speak up.
    >Company morale is Not as good as you might think.
    > have a fair system for interviews for new hires, and not have jobs handed out to friends, some of us worked hard in our careers to get to these positions only to see it being handed out to others so freely.
    > Make it fair for employees to be interviewed for new positions instead of giving priority for outside applicants. I understand that an employee number quota needs to be met, but you have a lot of experienced, talented, and qualified internal employees for those positions.

These Small fixes will do wonders for the morale and the center as a whole.

5. "Good mission, mediocre management"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakland, CA

Pros

Employees are driven by the mission of UC. Generally a collegial, collaborative working environment. Most senior managers are passionate about the work and lead by example. Great benefits.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive. Too many senior managers are inexperienced at change management.

Advice to Management

Too many deputy/director/chief-of-staff roles are currently vacant, in part because salaries are too low to attract external candidates. This leaves administrative and professional staff overworked, and resentful that there are few internal opportunities for advancement.

6. "Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at University of California - Office of the President (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Slow to change culture sometimes

7. "Retirement Plan"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA

I have been working at University of California - Office of the President full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UC has good name recognition

Cons

bureaucratic culture, and lack of efficiencies

Advice to Management

none

"Low pay, no flexible hours, suffocating"

Pros

Pension plan is still in place, although much less compared to before.

Cons

Majority of the management is incompetent and the only thing they do is micromanagement. For ITS professionals, the management removed the work from home policy recently (although it is not consistent across departments), people have to stick in office for 8 hours, and the employee morale is extremely low. The management is in lack of technical knowledge to make sound decision on design and implementation, yet they are so strict to the employees. Not to mention the much lower pay compared to the market value! Suffocating working environment.

"Anxiety inducing atmosphere"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Oakland, CA

Pros

Decent enough pay for a pretty easy and simple job.

Cons

I do not feel like I have job security, and feel like every small mistake could disqualify me from the position. My manager plays me hot and cold, and is very passive aggressive toward me.

Advice to Management

Be straight with your employees about their employment status.

10. "Technician"

Former Employee - Student in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Student in Atlanta, GA

I worked at University of California - Office of the President (Less than a year)

Pros

good working environment, pay sub is quick and on time

Cons

nothing special, but the website account confused me a while

Advice to Management

keep doing good