University of California Reviews | Glassdoor

University of California President Janet Napolitano
Janet Napolitano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, but that could just be the role I am in (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of red tape to deal with, takes a very long time to receive approvals (in 8 reviews)

1. "Your performance review may be based on boss's favorite. not your work"

I worked at University of California full-time

Pros

At the time of my hire, good vacation accrual, decent health benefits and pension

Cons

Seems to be a place for very big-headed fish in a tiny pond. Had 3 supervisors (with job titles from Supervisor to Director) that were simply awful but got away with alienating all 10 campuses and all subordinates simply because their supervisor liked them. It didn't matter that they had bad reviews and working relationships with everyone else, that they didn't know and could not do their jobs, they got away with it because they knew how to kiss up. In fact, one director had a 360 review and received the worst rating possible. His supervisor felt sorry for him and decided not to tell him. I found out from the supervisor's confidant whom was hired to help coach the director. My last few years there I had a supervisor who liked a particular sociopath. They both knew I didn't like her and all her scheming and dirty tricks. All of a sudden my performance review which had been good, became bad because they were based on the fact I didn't like the person he was having an affair with.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to subordinates. Employee morale was at its worst the last few years I was there, and literally no one cared. Productivity declined tremendously and sick leave went up. Employees felt that there was no point in putting their effort into their work. It was really sad as it used to be a great place to work. Now I hear complaints from friends who still work there.

2. "Glad that I left!"

I worked at University of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits is the only good about working on-campus.

Cons

Middle management typically are micromanagers due to being micromanaged by upper management. General campus employee culture is miserable, most people have worked there for years and hate their lives and their jobs.

Advice to Management

UC doesn't care as long as they have bodies to fill positions. Trust me the staff don't care either, they use campus resources to their own personal benefit as well.

3. "Community Education Specialist II"

I worked at University of California full-time

Pros

Meaningful work and Great coworkers

Cons

The pay is way below fair market value, and staff turnover is really high. Additionally there is nowhere to move up. Staff are not valued in the same way as academics. Too much value is placed on the degree rather than the practical experience.

Advice to Management

Create a system that allows a staff member to move up the ranks to some degree.

4. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, nice desk and computer

Cons

Good Doctors make contemptible managers, horrific abuse of lower level employees by leadership.

Advice to Management

You are not God

"University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources/ UC Cooperative Extension"

Current Employee - Program Representative I
    Current Employee - Program Representative I

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, colleagues are overall friendly, community we serve is incredible

Cons

Outgrowing position but no promotion even though there are different levels of positions to "grow" in to, raises are VERY rare, HR does not believe in the rising cost of living, supervisors slow in responding back to questions about personnel questions, can only log in 40 hours of work even though many of us work more than 40 hours.

Advice to Management

State office directors, upper management, HR, and everyone else need to realize we do a lot of work on the ground level to make THEM look like good to the rest of the community. We are underpaid, overworked (even though we HAVE to only show 40 hours of work on a time-log), and do more with the communities we work with than you will ever know. The new way of implementing annual performance reviews undermine the hard work we have been doing and unfairly rates us lower than it has in the past. It is hogwash. The University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources claim to compensate employees pay fairly and at market value, but does not see (or simply ignore the fact) that in some parts of California, the cost of living is higher than others and SHOULD pay accordingly. Some of us have to work one, two, or even three part-time jobs to keep up with the rising cost of living.

6. "Computer Resource Manager II"

Current Employee - Director of Project Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Project Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing... Company is stable. Almost impossible to get fired there.

Cons

Limited challenges, intellectual stimulation, extreme bureaucracy and politics prevent you from moving ahead or making decisions. Decisions are made by group and take a very long time.

Advice to Management

Empower team to make decisions rather than running them up the chain. The reputation of the university will not falter if everyone has autonomy and empowerment to be their best selves.

"Lecturer"

Former Employee - Associate Project Scientist in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Project Scientist in Riverside, CA

I worked at University of California (More than 3 years)

Pros

the students. A great group of people to get to know and work with

Cons

Many of the tenured-faculty are entrenched and miserable people to interact with

Advice to Management

Remove tenure system. Replace it with "5 or 6 year term hires and OUT" system like at the UN

"Very Poor Leadership & Accountability"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once you realize you can't really get anything done there, you can take advantage of the fact that it is basically a consequence-free environment, and spend your time training for your next job.

Cons

Too much drama on every level, no accountability for bad and ridiculous unprofessional behavior, too difficult to get anything done, several incompetent people who are catered to. I was once told to me face, "do not take initiative." That pretty much says it all.

Advice to Management

Let UCSB take over all operations.

"UC Cooperative Extension 4-H Program"

Former Employee - 4-H Program Representative
    Former Employee - 4-H Program Representative

I worked at University of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At first I loved the idea of an informal education program based on and contributing to actual research, but realized quickly that this was idealism which didn't reflect the reality of the program. There were many opportunities for professional development, including a 75% discount on tuition within the UC system.

Cons

99% of the programs themselves are run by volunteers, who don't understand how and why UC is connected with "their" club. Any attempt to make change is fought tooth and nail. A huge amount of staff time and effort is devoted to ensuring equal opportunity to all youth: a noble goal, but misguided in an opt-in program. It can't work for everyone, so why should it have to? Incredibly low salary, under $20/hr, far below median for education in the area (high cost of living). I needed to be available on evenings and weekends, as that's when many program activities occur.

"Culture Not Inclusive for Everyone"

Pros

Twenty year veteran has observed the good fortune of those accepted into the cultural experience receive excellent opportunities to experience regular increases in compensation; routinely receive On-The-Job training and development opportunities for management roles despite deficiencies in required/preferred educational and skills background and endless personal growth opportunities. Management personnel state their philosophy as "The Cream Will Rise to the Top."

Cons

Was not aware that employment policies, practices and earned benefits relevant to all employees would be disparately applied or unilaterally revoked without cause to those employees who are suddenly determined not to be "a cultural fit." As a normal course of business, Administrative Review processes concerning inequities in application are ignored because of Regental Autonomy.

Advice to Management

Public pronouncements of a diverse and inclusive environment is simply propaganda without accountability. When presented with factual data, management should make a serious effort to investigate and self-correct without requiring litigation where you often do not prevail.