University of California Reviews | Glassdoor

University of California President Janet Napolitano
Janet Napolitano
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, but that could just be the role I am in (in 8 reviews)

• Working at a public university also comes with a lot of red tape and useless restrictions on salaries and hiring (in 6 reviews)

1. "Associate Project Manager"

Former Contractor - Associate Energy Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Associate Energy Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at University of California as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

It is a highly intellectual environment with easy access and discounted fabulous concerts, lectures, sports events and general information and/or contemporary issues.
    Special benefits such as retirement which very few entities currently offer.

Cons

Very low salaries and weak health benefits. Highly politically charge environment with very little possibilities for advancement.

Advice to Management

More diversity particularly in Management positions.

"A mixed bag"

Former Employee - Graduate Student Instructor in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Instructor in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of people have good experiences working at UC Berkeley. Usually it's because they are fortunate enough to have colleagues and supervisors who care more than they have to.

Cons

On an institutional level, there is very little quality control. Dysfunctionality is the default state of things. Lots of red tape.

Advice to Management

The administration is incredibly broken. This has become especially clear with the recent sexual harassment scandal, but those of us who spent time at UC Berkeley have been aware for a long time. While all universities have their issues, UC Berkeley wins the prize for red tape. California needs to take a long hard look at other public universities that work better and learn from them.

"They'll chew you up and spit you out."

Former Employee - Staff Research Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Research Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at University of California (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to work in my field doing what I want to do

Cons

Politics, crummy communication, too many bean counters, terrible bureaucratic mess, cold attitude from higher-ups.

Advice to Management

Actually care a bit more about your employees and the work they do.

5. "Worker Bee"

Current Employee - Commodity Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Commodity Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job is not stressful. Easy to leave work at work. Benefits are very good.

Cons

UC is the definition of bureaucracy. Promotions are made based on who you know or who you want to influence, not merit. Salary increases are tied to inflation, although the cost of benefits is increasing faster, resulting in a net decrease. Annual reviews are a joke and are not tied to metrics, goals, or salary increases.

Advice to Management

Run the organization like a business. Get rid of dead wood, streamline the organization, provide bonuses to the rank and file, and tie increases to goals and value added to the organization.

6. "Don't be a student employee (or RA)."

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-study. Free room and board. Learning to cope with terrible situations daily.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid. As an RA for Berkeley (and a CS student) I have had minimal time to work on side projects. There is no pay, and I don't have time on top of this to get another job for expendable income. When the RAs tried to protest against management their response was to threaten to fire all of us. They treat the RAs as easily replaceable. It's not a good environment.

"Career employee sees waste at UC Berkeley"

Current Employee - Administrator in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work hours, opportunities to take classes

Cons

Morale at UC Berkeley is low, and I've seen a lot of unethical behavior over the years. Staff are promoted out of their competence level and "work the system" and sometimes break blatant rules and play favorites. Misconduct goes on and rarely results in someone being fired. Operation Excellent is a good idea, but the great amounts of money being spent to ultimately save money result in "going around the rules." I see it on a daily basis in procurement, hiring, and augmenting senior managers' pockets. I used to be very proud to work at UC Berkeley, but no longer, and would not recommend it to others just starting out.

Advice to Management

Insist on ethics training and don't have a double standard for managers. Lower level staff have a hard time making a living, while I've seen 25-30-40 percent raises THIS YEAR ALONE and during hiring freezes for invalid reasons. Questioning managers can result in poor feedback and retaliation.

"Proud to work at UCSF. Ashamed to work for the University of CA."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Benefits have been good, but they're being chipped away. Free presentations by notable speakers and live music performances are a nice perk.

Cons

If you're a doctor you can get away with atrocious behavior.
    Staff members are being furloughed because UC mgmt gave themselves sweet raises and bonuses instead of tightening their own belts.

Advice to Management

Your staff members SUPPORT the docs, the ones who bring in the money. Time for management to support the staff for what they do (and not just with lame 'let them eat cake' staff appreciation parties).

Mgmt needs to be held accountable for staff development and staff turnover; if it wasn't so humiliating to work here, you wouldn't lose so many employees in the first two years. We need better pay and more respect.

Work with the unions instead of dragging out contract negotiations for 1.5-2 years every time. We shouldn't have to be negotiating for bathroom breaks in the 21st century.

"riding on its reputation as an institution but not living up to its hype"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Pros

It's a shame glassdoor is in beta - I wrote a long review that seems to have been lost after I was prompted to Register to be able to post it. This review will be much shorter. The health benefits at UC are, I'm told, pretty good compared to comparable institutions. Pension benefits seem OK,. You have assess to a lot of interesting events by your proximity to campus, though you may not have energy to attend after work.

Cons

There are very extensive employee protections and positive career development programs on paper, but it's rare in my experience for Berkeley to actually adhere to them when there is a issue or you think you're ready to be promoted to the next step. The culture generally discourages speaking out when you see things going wrong, even if its high level execs behaving unethically and abusing their position. Financial abuses seem rife. I've worked here at a variety of positions for 20 years and see some truly egregious wastes of taxpayer money. Some I've reported, some I was prevented from doing o, and never have I felt like the reports changed much on either the bog or little picture. Working here, in general, you'll be asked to give a lot and compensated very little, in either money or other acknowledgements.

Advice to Management

There are many here who do have PhDs and other high level degrees, but have little training in their actual job duties. A Nobel laureate is not necessarily a good manager, and to have people in supervisory positions without training (and often they think because they have a degree in their field means they need no further training), undermines the effectiveness of the unit and costs the univ more money than recruiting someone who knows the work 360 degrees.

10. "UCOP"

Current Employee - Accountant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Oakland, CA

Pros

Fantastic benefit/pension plan. Lots of vacation/holiday/sick days, good ability for life/work balance.

Cons

Below market salary. Not much professional development.

Advice to Management

The mass reorgnizations, with no end date is demoralizing

11. "Research Lab Assistant"

I worked at University of California part-time

Pros

- Good employment benefits.
    - Safe laboratory conditions

Cons

- Taking-side environment.
    - Some level of discrimination and inequity.
    - Complicated employment paperwork process.