University of California Reviews | Glassdoor

University of California President Janet Napolitano
Janet Napolitano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, but that could just be the role I am in (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of red tape to deal with, takes a very long time to receive approvals (in 8 reviews)

"UCSF - so much information so little time"

Current Employee - Program Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good benefits - retirement, pay, and then all of the little perks. Free movie nights, concerts, there are so many I don't know them all. Everyone is really happy to be there and it shows. People are helpful and, at least in my department, we all look forward to coming to work. They also really focus on work/life balance. I'm also really proud of the school and what they are doing in the healthcare field. I really wanted to work here and it was tough to get in, but I have the perfect job I have always wanted. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect job.

Cons

UCSF is a little city of its own and there is so much information and resources that it actually becomes hard to find what you want and need because there is so much out there. And of course the red tape. Man, I love froms but they REALLY love forms. It takes a while to get paperwork processed. Sometimes it seems to get lost so you have to be on top of things and just because you submit something, it doesn't mean that it has gone through. You'll need to do your follow-up to make sure. Otherwise months can go by and your paperwork might still be on someone's desk. And - they are so behind in technology. It's sad.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Give us the resources we need and also the information. I like having the town halls and the meetings and of course - staff appreciation day and free lunch! Yay - free food.

2. "It is a great place to work and the people are good to work with."

Former Employee - Physicist in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Physicist in Livermore, CA

Pros

It is a challenging and innovative work environmentm with lots of career choices.

Cons

Requires a DOE security to start work, which takes a long time. You get paid while waiting but it can be boring.

Advice to Management

It seems that the grapevine is a little ahead of management about possible layoffs and such. I guess that's ok though since the grapevine works fine.

3. "UC provides excellent environment to work in with amazing benefits."

Current Employee - Administrator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The environment is great. Access to fantastic events and great benefits.

Cons

Salaries aren't very competitive but it is made up through other ancillary items.

Advice to Management

Provide career maps for employees for advancement.

4. "Berkeley is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Principal Publications Coordinator
    Current Employee - Principal Publications Coordinator

Pros

I love working with these extremely smart Berkeley students! The institution is open and friendly; diverse and accepting of different lifestyles. I'm a lesbian, and there is a lot of support for me and my family.

Cons

The pay isn't that great, but if you stay here, you get more vacation time and a full pension. It's hard being dependent on the state budget. Some years there's enough money, right now money is very tight. This is hard if you're trying to get new initiatives funded.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to get real. Some of the people I work for have a million ideas, but no funding to back up their plans.

5. "Logistics Crew at Student Housing"

Former Employee - Student Assistant II in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant II in Davis, CA

Pros

In short, the logistics crew is a very fun crew to join for students looking for work during the summer and during the school year also. It is full time during the summer so you can earn a few bucks, and during the school year, it is part time, and very flexible so you can have your work schedule tailored to your school schedule

Cons

It doesn't offer your any professional skills for academics. Although you can gain general professional experience, you can't really get any profession skills related to your major to help with your career.

Advice to Management

Better communications between levels of management is needed. Information is passed down very vaguely and changed often without consideration of the logistics of projects.

6. "UCSD Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Computer Support Specialist in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Support Specialist in La Jolla, CA

I worked at University of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary may be a dash lower than working for the private sector but the perks of being in an academic environment, the fellow colleagues you meet and the benefits are great. There is always some type of event going on in this one big community. Food is always around!

Cons

Processes can move slow sometimes. Kind of like working for a government job at times.

7. "Great opportunity, enjoyed working on the project!"

Pros

There were people from various states that came in to work. I was able to make a lot of connections and meet new people

Cons

There were no downsides, I enjoyed working in the city

8. "My experience at the university of California was amazing."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at University of California part-time (More than a year)

Pros

surrounded by the most intelligent group of individuals who are involved in public education in the world

Cons

a large population leads to less individual attention

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing

9. "UCSC"

Pros

amazing location, friendly staff, diverse opportunities, good benefits

Cons

bureaucracy, logging hours, parking, transportation

10. "Amazing, Super Friendly."

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Riverside, CA

I have been working at University of California part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gives ample time for coursework.

Cons

Hours exceeded than what was intended.

Advice to Management

None.