University of California Reviews | Glassdoor

University of California President Janet Napolitano
Janet Napolitano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, but that could just be the role I am in (in 10 reviews)

• Lots of red tape to deal with, takes a very long time to receive approvals (in 8 reviews)

"Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Secretary in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Secretary in Oakland, CA

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits.

Cons

It used to be a nice place to work years ago but I'm afraid that's changed and it's now become a political cesspool. There are managers to manage the managers and assistants to assist the assistants. It's just ridiculous. No promotions. No raises in pay. Snobby people to work with. Just go look for a job elsewhere and don't watse your time. Administration is incompetent and wasteful. Staff is not treated well. Layoffs abound.

Advice to Management

Read your own mission statement and try to remember what your organization is supposed to stand for.

"A once good place to work that has been overtaken by overpaid, terrible executive and senior management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

Some people on the frontline doing actual work. Less and less of these numbers as new hires are pretty disappointing more often than not.

Cons

Terrible communication in that misleading (at the minimum and outright lies in some cases) communication is constantly spewed. Way too top heavy. While underlings are told to make due with less, top management is over-compensated with the famliiar refrain that we need to pay more to get and retain the best.

Advice to Management

Nothing really because nothing will change unless a President is hired that is truly commited to higher education, rather than personal compensation. Look no further than that while student tuition has doubled in the tenure of the current administration, the President makes far more in total compensation than any previous leader.

3. "Very Poor Leadership, Non-Progressive & Seriously Technologically Challenged"

I have been working at University of California full-time

Pros

The general location, Santa Barbara/Goleta, is a nice place to live.

Cons

There is a general lack of accountability for being productive or contributing. The talented are driven away, but the incompetent remain. There is an astounding lack of leadership which perpetuates a very dysfunctional organization. The organization is lacking in general technological competency, and is far behind the rest of the UC system in implementing solutions to common technological issues. Politics and distrust run rampant.

Advice to Management

The organization should be managed by UCSB in all aspects and not run as a separate rogue entity with little to no oversight or accountability for results.

"Culture Not Inclusive for Everyone"

Pros

Twenty year veteran has observed the good fortune of those accepted into the cultural experience receive excellent opportunities to experience regular increases in compensation; routinely receive On-The-Job training and development opportunities for management roles despite deficiencies in required/preferred educational and skills background and endless personal growth opportunities. Management personnel state their philosophy as "The Cream Will Rise to the Top."

Cons

Was not aware that employment policies, practices and earned benefits relevant to all employees would be disparately applied or unilaterally revoked without cause to those employees who are suddenly determined not to be "a cultural fit." As a normal course of business, Administrative Review processes concerning inequities in application are ignored because of Regental Autonomy.

Advice to Management

Public pronouncements of a diverse and inclusive environment is simply propaganda without accountability. When presented with factual data, management should make a serious effort to investigate and self-correct without requiring litigation where you often do not prevail.

"UC Cooperative Extension 4-H Program"

Former Employee - 4-H Program Representative
    Former Employee - 4-H Program Representative

I worked at University of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At first I loved the idea of an informal education program based on and contributing to actual research, but realized quickly that this was idealism which didn't reflect the reality of the program. There were many opportunities for professional development, including a 75% discount on tuition within the UC system.

Cons

99% of the programs themselves are run by volunteers, who don't understand how and why UC is connected with "their" club. Any attempt to make change is fought tooth and nail. A huge amount of staff time and effort is devoted to ensuring equal opportunity to all youth: a noble goal, but misguided in an opt-in program. It can't work for everyone, so why should it have to? Incredibly low salary, under $20/hr, far below median for education in the area (high cost of living). I needed to be available on evenings and weekends, as that's when many program activities occur.

"Very Poor Leadership & Accountability"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once you realize you can't really get anything done there, you can take advantage of the fact that it is basically a consequence-free environment, and spend your time training for your next job.

Cons

Too much drama on every level, no accountability for bad and ridiculous unprofessional behavior, too difficult to get anything done, several incompetent people who are catered to. I was once told to me face, "do not take initiative." That pretty much says it all.

Advice to Management

Let UCSB take over all operations.

"Lecturer"

Former Employee - Associate Project Scientist in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Project Scientist in Riverside, CA

I worked at University of California (More than 3 years)

Pros

the students. A great group of people to get to know and work with

Cons

Many of the tenured-faculty are entrenched and miserable people to interact with

Advice to Management

Remove tenure system. Replace it with "5 or 6 year term hires and OUT" system like at the UN

8. "Computer Resource Manager II"

Current Employee - Director of Project Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Project Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing... Company is stable. Almost impossible to get fired there.

Cons

Limited challenges, intellectual stimulation, extreme bureaucracy and politics prevent you from moving ahead or making decisions. Decisions are made by group and take a very long time.

Advice to Management

Empower team to make decisions rather than running them up the chain. The reputation of the university will not falter if everyone has autonomy and empowerment to be their best selves.

"University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources/ UC Cooperative Extension"

Current Employee - Program Representative I
    Current Employee - Program Representative I

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, colleagues are overall friendly, community we serve is incredible

Cons

Outgrowing position but no promotion even though there are different levels of positions to "grow" in to, raises are VERY rare, HR does not believe in the rising cost of living, supervisors slow in responding back to questions about personnel questions, can only log in 40 hours of work even though many of us work more than 40 hours.

Advice to Management

State office directors, upper management, HR, and everyone else need to realize we do a lot of work on the ground level to make THEM look like good to the rest of the community. We are underpaid, overworked (even though we HAVE to only show 40 hours of work on a time-log), and do more with the communities we work with than you will ever know. The new way of implementing annual performance reviews undermine the hard work we have been doing and unfairly rates us lower than it has in the past. It is hogwash. The University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources claim to compensate employees pay fairly and at market value, but does not see (or simply ignore the fact) that in some parts of California, the cost of living is higher than others and SHOULD pay accordingly. Some of us have to work one, two, or even three part-time jobs to keep up with the rising cost of living.

10. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, nice desk and computer

Cons

Good Doctors make contemptible managers, horrific abuse of lower level employees by leadership.

Advice to Management

You are not God