University of Central Arkansas Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 13, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom Courtway

Pros
  • Beautiful Campus, I love being outdoors and gardening, so I loved my job (in 5 reviews)

• Learned a lot about troubleshooting computers and gives me need experience before I graduate (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to balance with school, part-time jobs, community service, campus involvement, and leadership roles (in 2 reviews)

• Salary could be higher for faculty (in 5 reviews)

1. "Some Divisions Are Better Than Others"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will receive a lot of benefits: wellness benefits, free access to the gym, discounts to performances, reduced co-pay for visiting the Health Center, free counseling...the list goes on.

Cons

If you are a professor, you pretty much have free reign over your time. If you are professional staff, how much flexibility you have depends on the division for which you work. Some supervisors are sticklers about every second you're supposed to be on the clock. Also, UCA provides the lowest pay in the state for certain types of non-teaching opportunities.

Advice to Management

Consider flex time and working from home as options for people whose jobs permit it. Productivity and morale will increase.

2. "Quality Depends on the Department"

Pros

Work on a beautiful campus
    The Academic Departments are filled with great people

Cons

Nepotism in positions related to student life. If you are not an alumni from Sigma Phi Epsilon, Alpha Sigma Alpha, or another large Greek organization, don't bother applying.

3. "Great University"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Greenbrier, AR
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Greenbrier, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and Culture. Work life balance is top notch

Cons

Pay is based off the state guidelines and is below average

5. "Student Worker Position"

Pros

Great coworkers, a lot of training opportunities and informational workshops, closed on major holidays and for many small breaks.

Cons

Internet connection is not reliable. Large parking lots are often closed, making the walk to work very long.

6. "Director"

Pros

Many people have a sense of ownership and community as part of this institution. Benefits are good, better than many realize and it is a beautiful place to work.

Cons

Because many in leadership roles have been at the institution for so long they don't understand modern administrative structures and staffing needs of an institution this size.

Advice to Management

Embrace innovation. Embrace technology. Embrace cross-discipline education. Embrace relationships with industry. Embrace getting rid of people that are on 4th strike and work harder to keep good people in all areas.

7. "Bioorganic Research Assistant"

Former Intern - Bioorganic Research Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Intern - Bioorganic Research Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at University of Central Arkansas as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience working in the laboratory. One-on-one experience with researchers and professors learning advanced to use advanced laboratory equipment such as HPLC and MADLI. Learned to problem solve and create organic and biochemical reactions on my own, as well as have the opportunity to present my research and data and nationally recognized poster symposiums.

Cons

Very rigorous schedule. Hard to balance with school, part-time jobs, community service, campus involvement, and leadership roles.

Advice to Management

Keep giving undergraduate students to opportunity to learn under a scientific mentor. This role gave me invaluable experience that I know will help me in any laboratory or clinical environment.

8. "great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR

I worked at University of Central Arkansas part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and helpuil staff

Cons

Work may be a little hectic at the beginning and end of semester

Advice to Management

n/a

9. "Good place to work!"

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Conway, AR

I worked at University of Central Arkansas part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good communication within the departments (I was an adjunct instructor)

Cons

Some professors are overqualified and are thus unfriendly/unwilling to help newcomers like me!

Advice to Management

Don't make employees pay $60 per semester for parking :)

10. "Excellent School"

Current Employee - Student-athlete in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Student-athlete in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great value for student-athletes, very good administration that helps and actually wants student-athletes to graduate with a degree and not just play sports taking just enough classes to be NCAA eligible like some schools

Cons

Sort of in the middle of nowhere and there are limited opportunities and some of the teams are not very good but most are top in the conference

Advice to Management

Keep a better watch on coaches and those that are in charge of teams, because minor rules are being broken and the tight budgets force some shortcuts at the expense of the student-athlete

11. "Strength & Conditioning Coach"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Conway, AR
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Conway, AR

I worked at University of Central Arkansas as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at UCA allowed me to gain a lot of field experience under some amazing coaches. During my time there, I've trained two different championship teams. The coaching staff is amazing and very knowledge of applied exercise programming. I learned a lot while there.

Cons

Can get cluttered at times with all the different teams try to work out indoors sometimes