University of Central Oklahoma Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

4.1
University of Central Oklahoma President Patti Neuhold - Ravikumar (no image)
Patti Neuhold - Ravikumar
Pros
  • "Wonderful work environment, wonderful caring people that want you to grow and expand yur knowledge(in 11 reviews)

• "Great benefits especially tuition stipends(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "UCO is a public university, so one should have reasonable expectations with regard to pay and bureaucracy(in 14 reviews)

• "Expectations to deliver nationally are difficult to meet with low pay and limited contributions for travel as well(in 12 reviews)

1. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Athletic Assistant

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, great work experience, coordinated well with class schedule.

Cons

UCO is a public university, so one should have reasonable expectations with regard to pay and bureaucracy.

2. "IT Service Desk"

Former Employee - IT Service Desk Specialist

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma part-time

Pros

A good place to start your IT career!

Cons

There wasn't really a lot to complain about, just be prepared for any situation!

3. COVID-19

"There are good things and there are bad things"

Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Interesting and challenging work; good vacation time/paid time off; bustling campus with lots of activities; professional development opportunities and opportunities to be involved across campus; appropriate and thoughtful response to Black Lives Matter movement

Cons

Noncompetitive salaries; silo'd campus departments; bizarre handling of COVID-19 situation (all of the decisions are made by a mysterious task force whose membership is not made public and does not include key parts of campus, like the library {There have been rumblings that decisions were made about library operations without consulting library administration, which is currently the only public building open right now}; COVID protocols very vague compared to other institutions); HR does not provide clear guidance and often relies on "supervisor's discretion"; Campus IT needs a hard look at their management and how they treat their IT professionals

Continue reading
  4. "Wholesome place to call... Don't get too comfortable."

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma

Pros

Comfortable place to work. Feels good to be true to the infrastructure which is a great place to climb a ladder if you create the actual position. Tradition is highly regarded.

Cons

Little fluctuation of leadership infrastructure. Out with the old and right back in with the old. Which can suck for you at times...

5. "Poor leadership"

2.0

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

students eager to learn, great students

Cons

Poor leadership, lack of integrity

6. "Excellent employer"

Former Employee - Lab Manager

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was always very easy to get a hold of anyone in whatever department I needed. The department I worked for (College of Math & Science) was an open door policy and access to any administrative issues or questions was every easy.

Cons

Growth potential is very limited.

7. "Everywhere but IT is a great place to work"

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, great people (for the most part), lots of opportunities for training and advancement in some areas

Cons

IT upper management was the WORST. Terrible people who don't care about you. Constant turnover because you feel ganged upon. And don't dare try to go to HR and report them.. HR will take their side, and there will be repercussions.

University of Central Oklahoma Response

March 3, 2020Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for your feedback as a former employee. We strongly believe in providing opportunities for our employees to increase their skills and knowledge, growing both professionally and personally throughout their career. We are sorry to hear about your experiences regarding the UCO IT department. We also strongly believe in employee feedback and that it is crucial to institutional growth and development. Your feedback is important and will be forwarded to UCO leadership for consideration. If you have any additional feedback or concerns, you are always welcome to contact us. Thank you.

8. "Entry level, but gained a lot of experience"

Current Employee - Student Affairs

I have been working at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the people I worked with.

Cons

Pay and not many growth opportunities

Continue reading
  9. "Great Place to Work and Grow"

Former Employee - Athletics

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location, Benefits and Great Coworkers.

Cons

Bad hours, compensation is laughable.

10. "Grad researcher"

Current Employee - Agente Assicurativo

I have been working at University of Central Oklahoma part-time

Pros

Great people and facilities are constantly improving.

Cons

Low pay fro graduate students and limited teaching opportunities in some majors.

Found 178 reviews