University of Chicago Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Chicago Hospital President Sharon O'Keefe
Sharon O'Keefe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No growth opportunities, management is inflexible, no work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• low pay, no parking, no room for advanced compensation (in 6 reviews)

1. "Honest Opinion"

Current Employee - OR Scheduling Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - OR Scheduling Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think it is a great company to work for, the staff is very diverse and the work we do here at the University focuses on excellent customer care and patient safety.

Cons

Although there are career development plans in place, I feel like the company does not promote from within as much as they should. I think this defeats the purpose of tuition reimbursement and career advancement, if the opportunities never present themselves.

Advice to Management

Promote qualified people from within before bringing in outside candidates.

2. "Teaching hospital, poor management"

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital full-time

Pros

- Staff works as team to provide best care for patients

Cons

- Severe lack of management. If you're OK managing yourself, then not a problem, but when situations would arise, management was MIA.

Advice to Management

- Hire management to manage.

3. "Ok place to work if you live in chicago"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist

Pros

This is one of the best paying hospitals that I know of. Staff is very committed to giving excellent service to patients. Very caring staff. Also very clean hospital.

Cons

I hate having to drive an hour an half from my home (south side) traffic is so horrible coming to Chicago especially when there has been construction on the expressway for about 2 years now. There is absolutely no place to park unless you decide to pay up the $28 a day which makes no sense to pay for parking at my job. only free parking is about 3-4 blocks away which takes you a good 15 min to walk all the way to your building. Mind you parking 4 blocks away can and will get your car broken into. Chicago winters are horrible and having to walk those very long 4 blocks is exhausting. I have never seen an employment where you charge your employees to park to come to work very ridiculous if you ask me?? Also I understand this is a hospital but managers treat you worst than jail/ army. Each week they tell you when to come in, what time to go to lunch, what dept you'll be working at, they literally just tell you do this and do that & don't even take into effect that you do have a life outside this hospital.

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of employees needs when it comes to work schedule, I know this hospital goes by seniority and obeys it more than the Bible but common I think its also about being fair.

4. "Nice stepping stone"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with very smart people, good benefits, fair pay

Cons

Stressful, lack of investment/training in employees, lack of opportunity for professional development.

5. "Physician Assistant"

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time

Pros

Supportive staff, welcoming and kind throughout the orientation and training process. A lot of interaction between the adult and children's hospital. Newer facilities. Many opportunities for furthering education and learning.

Cons

Lots of disconnect in mandatory training modules and monthly requirements from the Medical Staffing Office. I seem to get multiple incorrect noncompliance emails that never get sorted out despite emailing proof that I am compliant.

"Manager"

Pros

Hospital cares for its patients.

Cons

No growth opportunities, management is inflexible, no work/life balance. 1 Star work environment.

"Forefront?"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great opportunity for research experience

Cons

Low salary, department is shady

8. "Great Opportunity for pre-med students"

Current Employee - Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital part-time

Pros

scheduling flexibility very useful for a pre-med student juggling many obligations

Cons

Felt strange about continually soliciting the gen med patient pool for survey data without compensating them as they have enough to work through as it is.

9. "Medical Technologist"

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, reliable job security, low stress job.

Cons

Long personal commute, lack of career advancement, disconnect between salary and hourly workers.

Advice to Management

Understand what motivates and drives people and you'll get more loyalty.

10. "Extremely fair student employer for three years"

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital part-time

Pros

Fair pay, flexible hours for students

Cons

Building can be very confusing, administrative student workers sometimes have quite minimal supervision which can be confusing in some cases.