KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great working environment

Sep 18, 2021 - Acquisitions Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive environment, flexible schedule, and compassionate/supportive management

Cons

Not much, really enjoyed working here during undergrad

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Current Employee

Run away. Worst place I've ever worked.

Sep 12, 2021 - Editorial
    Business Outlook

Pros

May potentially impress other faux intellectuals?

Cons

How is this place still standing? Everyone who works here hates it and one another. In my years of employment, I've never seen a sadder employer. Or employees. What a waste. If you want to actually work in publishing, steer clear of this nonsense.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 5.0

For the greater good

Mar 22, 2021 - Member Of Technical Staff in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

An innovative, fair, and diverse place to work.

Cons

Pay somewhat lower than contemporary private sector.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Not Much Room for Advancement

Nov 4, 2020 - Exhibits Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, casual environment, great health benefits

Cons

Besides cost of living raises pay raises only come with title change, not much room for advancement, poor communication between divisions/departments

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Collegial environment with interesting and meaningful work, but low pay and hard to advance

May 28, 2020 - Managing Editor in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, fulfilling and important work, intelligent coworkers, good life/work balance

Cons

Low pay, very rare to receive a bonus, no path for advancement

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Pleasant Work Environment

May 18, 2019 - Administrative Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Day to day culture and grind -Pleasant and quiet work floor -Responsive superiors

Cons

-Crunch time during end of fiscal quarters -Depth of certain projects

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Toxic work environment

Aug 15, 2016 - Editor in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The university itself has good benefits. That's the only positive I can come up with.

Cons

Certain people on the 4th floor are allowed to bully coworkers, and they get away with it with no consequences. It almost seems encouraged. I doubt that if anyone ever went to HR anything would be even done, but it is a disgusting, toxic work environment. Maybe UChicago's lawyers would like to hear about it? Also, you can expect more layoffs, no promotions, and 2-3% raises, if you get any at all. The work environment is filthy and hot because management cannot afford to pay the cleaning staff or turn on the a/c. It seems like OSHA should know about this. The bathrooms are always gross. The trash is emptied 1x a week. You have to pick up your own mail from the mailroom. Giant stacks of paper are routed by hand and everything takes weeks to get done. I'm surprised they aren't still using typewriters and mimeograph machines. It's like they're terrified of technology.

5 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Current Employee

Coworkers are great! Employer overall subpar.

Jan 15, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are witty and smart. There are fun annual events like a chili cookoff. There is a coffee club and an annual gift of free books published by the press.

Cons

The area is not safe to walk through at night. The salaries are low. The pension plan is not as good as other companies offer. The middle administration is collaborative and friendly but the upper administration is hostile, evasive, and petty. Good employees are not valued over cheaper unskilled employees by management. It's a small town where everyone knows everything about everyone and it's hard to keep things confidential.

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Former Employee

A great learning experience for a student

Sep 13, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Intelligent and friendly coworkers, strong focus on high-quality books. As a student employee, I had many opportunities to grow past my original job description; I learned a lot about publishing.

Cons

Can't think of any, really. Maybe if you're not into cubicles you'll be unhappy with the environment (though plenty of staff members have offices). Also, though I was very close with my supervisors, I didn't interact with many other members of the press, which seems less than ideal—but that may have just been a function of my having been a part-time student employee.

10. 5.0

Wonderful work study position

Sep 3, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was a Master's student at U Chicago and worked in one of the student assistant positions. I had an interest in publishing, and working at the UCP gave me not only an incredible education on what the industry was like but also equipped me with skills that I was able to develop after I graduated.

Cons

Networking with staff was difficult at times, and there weren't many options to explore possible employment there after graduation.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 Reviews