University of Chicago Press Reviews

3.4
  1. "Journals Production"

5.0

I worked at University of Chicago Press full-time

Pros

Casual atmosphere, stimulating work, smart colleagues, good benefits, beautiful campus, nice facilities, low stress most of the time, free books.

Cons

Low pay, very little room for advancement, long commute unless you live in the neighborhood, industry malaise, no bonuses.

Continue reading
  2. "Collegial environment with interesting and meaningful work, but low pay and hard to advance"

Current Employee - Managing Editor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Press full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, fulfilling and important work, intelligent coworkers, good life/work balance

Cons

Low pay, very rare to receive a bonus, no path for advancement

3. "A Pleasant Work Environment"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at University of Chicago Press part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Day to day culture and grind -Pleasant and quiet work floor -Responsive superiors

Cons

-Crunch time during end of fiscal quarters -Depth of certain projects

"Brutally low pay"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manuscript Editor in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago Press full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A relative amount of freedom, great offices, interesting projects, good manager, great learning experience.

Cons

Pay is laughably low. The workload is intense and unrelenting.

"Sinking Ship, Get Out Now!"

1.0

I have been working at University of Chicago Press full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working here.

Cons

You will likely be mugged at gun point on your way to/from work or on your lunch break. Coworkers on the 4th floor bully everyone else, with approval from Garrett Kiely. They are using databases from 1982 and route paper manuscripts by hand. They might as well use rotary phones. The pay is atrocious, even by book publishing standards. No one gets promoted either. At least 10 Editors have been forced into retirement over the past year. The bathrooms are filthy because they can't afford to pay cleaning staff anymore! You can never work from home. Certain Directors get to come and go as they please and barely ever show up for work, with no repercussions. I could keep listing things forever, DO NOT WORK HERE. It's a horrible environment.

Continue reading
  6. "Part time work study"

I worked at University of Chicago Press part-time

Pros

My supervisor was very kind and I enjoyed the work, meticulous as it was, because you get to see what kind of crazy things they put in academic journals. If I recall, one title I came across in a works cited page was "How to be a Pear".

Cons

I didn't experience any negatives personally.

7. "Decent place to work"

I worked at University of Chicago Press

Pros

Low stress, easy work, not much work expected once you are outside the office fortunately

Cons

Not much room for advancement, low compensation and overall sluggish office energy

8. "Academic journal editing"

5.0
    Student Editorial Assistant

I worked at University of Chicago Press

Pros

Warm and friendly atmosphere (though my case was special, being a work-study student, I noticed that everyone seemed to get along well) Quiet workplace that allows you to focus

Cons

Not necessarily a negative, but depending on your job the work could be very detail-oriented and meticulous

"Toxic work environment"

1.0
    Former Employee - Editor in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago Press full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The university itself has good benefits. That's the only positive I can come up with.

Cons

Certain people on the 4th floor are allowed to bully coworkers, and they get away with it with no consequences. It almost seems encouraged. I doubt that if anyone ever went to HR anything would be even done, but it is a disgusting, toxic work environment. Maybe UChicago's lawyers would like to hear about it? Also, you can expect more layoffs, no promotions, and 2-3% raises, if you get any at all. The work environment is filthy and hot because management cannot afford to pay the cleaning staff or turn on the a/c. It seems like OSHA should know about this. The bathrooms are always gross. The trash is emptied 1x a week. You have to pick up your own mail from the mailroom. Giant stacks of paper are routed by hand and everything takes weeks to get done. I'm surprised they aren't still using typewriters and mimeograph machines. It's like they're terrified of technology.

"Slow-pace job"

2.0

I worked at University of Chicago Press full-time

Pros

People are really nice, lots of time off.

Cons

It's a university press, so it's bound to move slowly. Everything is done like it's still not the new millennium. Not a good place to work if you want to move up or have a real career path.

Found 25 reviews