University of Cincinnati Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Cincinnati Interim President Santa Jeremy Ono
Santa Jeremy Ono

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The job had extremely low pay at 10 dollars an hour (in 19 reviews)

• But that is part of being a graduate student (in 11 reviews)

"Admissions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at University of Cincinnati full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (insurance, time off, tuition remission)

Cons

Low wages, TERRIBLE political environment and bureaucratic nonsense. Poor communication between business units (one hand rarely knows what the other is doing or cares to know). Most workers I know feel under-appreciated. Very slow at hiring replacements for employees who leave.

Advice to Management

Create more of a collaborative work environment. Siloing is a big issue.

2. "UC's lack of support of Adjunct Faculty is an regional embarrassment."

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at University of Cincinnati (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cincinnati is a great location

Cons

Employment policies are Medieval, support is non existent. Board of Trustees is out of touch with their role in in managing the core competency of teaching on campus.

Advice to Management

Find other employment; there are way too many of you.

3. "Graduate Assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at University of Cincinnati part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Terrible, I hate this place. I can't believe I have to write stuff here so that I can look at salaries so I am just talking about nothing to get to the word limit.

Cons

There is is nothing good about this university. They waste money on nothing and their education and professors or sub-par- that is being generous too. So make what you will of this.

4. "Don't do it!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at University of Cincinnati as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Students don't know they are paying full price while adjuncts earn a fraction of the price. Great system for the U, not for you.

Cons

The university exploits the adjunct faculty. It all seems nice and then it doesn't.

Advice to Management

Move beyond the model that charges full price and pays a fraction. The estimated pay on the Glassdoor site is incorrect.

5. "UC is great, Arts and Sciences? Not so much"

I worked at University of Cincinnati full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The gym is cool.

Cons

Arts and Sciences is the worst school at UC, the managers have no clue what they're doing. It's a mess.

Advice to Management

Come to work for starters.

"NPs BEWARE the non-compete"

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at University of Cincinnati full-time (More than a year)

Pros

paid tuition is offered, although I didn't use it because I'm done with my degree. the chinese at Mark Pi's is really good.

Cons

Contract is way too restrictive on non-compete which they will try to enforce despite how irrelevant and threaten to sue you if you leave to work within 10 miles for 18 months. Sometimes (because they are inconsistent with who they push this with and the contracts all differ) they will say YOU are responsible for legal fres if THEY take YOU to court! Prepare to hire a lawyer but still be expected to give a 90 day notice. Residents and attendings have little respect for NPs and our clinical judgement and skills. You are seen as Discharge Note writers and basically an extension of Social Work and appointment schedulers. Glorified Medical Assistants. I lost a year of good clinical experience working in this culture of "academia" where residents are seen as the ones to do the "thinking," even if you may have more experience than they do with certain co-morbidities and treatments. Don't expect to be able to provide any clinical expertise or opinion, because you will be ignored and dismissed.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing for discharges to empty out beds. There have been questionable reasoning with regard to discharging patients when it may not be safe at that time to empty the floor. You're losing good staff because you don't listen to them.

"Do Not Come"

Pros

There are no pros. I would not recommend that you waste your life here. Every level of the organization is incompetent.

Cons

This place is terrible. I would not recommend that you waste your life here. Every level of the organization is incompetent.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves.

8. "Laborer u"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Cincinnati, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cincinnati, IA

I have been working at University of Cincinnati full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a good job, Nice laid back, would be better with out alot of UN needed MGMT'! I've been at UC for several years, and MGMT runs the Dept. With there personal vendettas all of mgmt does this!,

Cons

Bad mgmt. Thru Out the Dept. To family working in mgmt, so to talk to one means your talking to the actual family member, so there's no open door policy!, that will be beneficial!, they need to get rid of all that old mgmt and all those family member rederic!, all of mgmt needs to be changed!! These people are toying with people's lives messing up people's lives and mgmt is sitting back along with the union and laughing about the person or persons lives and Job that they have very successfully messed up!!!! Change is very much needed!!! They even have employees going against each other because they are friends with the supervisor,ETC, the place needs to be investigated by a state official undercover!

Advice to Management

Stop playing with people's lives, keep your personal vendettas out of the work place!, stop putting works against workers,stop punishing the union leaders so that they will be wore Down. And give in to upper mgmts demands,Management is not GOD!!! This must be remembered!!!!

9. "Down hill with current leadership"

I have been working at University of Cincinnati full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

University setting is great, mission is great

Cons

Terrible decision making (I don't care about the decisions it's the process that is HORRIBLE). There seems to be no accountability everyone throws everyone else under the bus.

Advice to Management

Make decisions, back them up with rationale and stick to it. Don't blame others. Get some guts, UC leaders! And pay your staff. And actually value diversity so it can be an inclusive place.

10. "Okay place to work"

Pros

The manager is flexible, and I have learned a great deal. I believe its what you put into the job where you can get great benefits.

Cons

Getting paid monthly is not ideal and rough from time to time.