University of Colorado Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson
Bruce D. Benson

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, no benefits in my position (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours and inconsistent schedule (in 4 reviews)

1. "Learning environment"

Former Employee - Medical Receptionist in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Medical Receptionist in Aurora, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to learn about diabetes while working there.

Cons

The doctor in charge of the clinic was a bully, as well as unkind.

Advice to Management

Treat and respect the other workers in the clinic, as all contribute to the running of the clinic.

2. "Postdoctoral scientist at the School of Pharmacy"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Scientist in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Scientist in Aurora, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, good infrastructure, nice building. Published papers, lots of seminars.

Cons

Very low salalry, lack of career improvement. Long hours, weekends, overnight, holydays...

"Find some sort of financing other than being a TA if you come here for grad school"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the campus at CU, and teaching is a blast. The undergraduate population isn't the sharpest I've experienced, but every class I taught has always had one or two students who really engage with the material and make teaching a bit easier.

Cons

They don't pay a living wage. Rent in Boulder is around 900 per month for a 400 square-foot single-bedroom unit, and teaching assistants receive, on average, anywhere from 900 to 1,300 dollars per month. You do the math. Sure, your tuition gets remitted, but what does it matter if you have to take out loans to cover living expenses like, say, food? I'm going to leave CU with a doctorate and a mountain of debt to go along with it, thanks to these policies.

Advice to Management

Stop inflating your own salaries and hiring more administrative positions on the backs of graduate students and adjunct faculty.

"Dying industry struggles to stay afloat"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relatively easy to get a temporary, low-paying job for textbook rush at the beginning of each semester. Great campus with many opportunities for the intellectually inclined. Benefits are excellent. Many highly educated colleagues and whip-smart students. Great location and excellent cafeteria in the same building.

Cons

Bookstores in general and academic bookstores specifically suffer under the increase in textbook prices. Students aren't buying as much as they used to, and there are cheaper alternatives like Inter-Library Loan, ebooks, borrowing from other students, etc. Profit margin is slim on textbooks and decreasing all the time. The change in the retail book market isn't going to get better. Ever. Few opportunities for personal growth, promotions, or professional development now (was great about ten years ago). Management has saved ongoing monies over time by firing (or letting retire) many employees and not promoting anyone to take their place(s), just redistributing the work to remaining employees with no increase in pay nor job title/rank. Capitalism, nepotism, and cronyism. Management is heavily imbalanced toward men.

Advice to Management

Work on growing employees professionally and paying them better. The cost of living in Boulder is high and your wages have stagnated.

6. "Depends on both your department and your supervisor"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Beautiful campus, beautiful city.

Cons

Pay is academic (i.e., low). But you're very much at the mercy of your department and your supervisor. In some departments, the garbage is not routinely taken out and the bathroom's are a mess and the support staff are either completely over-extended or dysfunctional. In others, things run like clockwork. Also, some of the faculty are great to work for. They have your back, they assist you with career development and networking. Others are all about number one and it shows.

Advice to Management

At least pretend you care about the people working under you. Also, in the upper echelons, please don't freeze hiring and raises, give yourselves a pay raise, and then send out defensive e-mails about how it's really a shared sacrifice because your raise is smaller than you would like it to be. It's just tacky.

7. "Lots of egos and lots of politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow staff were friendly and nice. Hours were good, and the vacation time was ample for professional staff.

Cons

I preface this by saying I had never worked for a university before. I worked for the Law School as professional staff. I found there to be a huge divide between faculty and staff, with the ego of several faculty bordering on arrogance. They treated most staff like they didn't have a brain. Also, it became apparent that competency wasn't the most important thing, but loyalty to the Dean was. There are several people that are clearly in way over their head, but what mattered most was they played the game right, and their loyalty could be counted on, not that they knew how to do their job.

There was little in the way of camaraderie or working together, most people just retreat to their cubicles or office space and buy themselves in the computer. Most departments are very competitive trying to make themselves look good at the expense of someone else.

Advice to Management

They need better leadership at the top, and need to put people into key positions who actually know how to do their jobs, rather than just suck up to top management.

"Eye opening; not always in a positive way."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Pros

Exposure to working with both a large public sector employer and a large and variable customer base; Learned how to navigate politics in a large institution; ability to work with business and acedemia;

Cons

Large budget cuts at the state level resulted in more work to do with less people -projects may not always get finished; Sr. management didn't always share changes or information that staff may have felt was critical; politics resulted in challenging working conditions;; management didn't know how to foster a cohesive working environment

Advice to Management

Be open to receive staff level input on in ideas and execution since they are the ones on the front line. Build trust by being honest about sharing information that can be shared vs. information that you can't share immediately.

9. "Typical RA job but management lacks view of the big picture."

Former Employee - Resident Advisor in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Resident Advisor in Boulder, CO

Pros

Benefits were nice: lived in dorm and ate at dining halls for free. Was able to make my own decisions on disciplining my floor and community building.

Cons

Upper management is secretive and gave very short notice of new/impromptu policies. I was on the job ALL the time, even when I was sleeping I would have to deal with issues if they cam up but that is the nature of the RA job. Off-campus life was also censored and work-life balance was non-existent because you had to make your work your life. They used to say, "It's not a job, it's a lifestyle."

Advice to Management

Put yourself in the RA's shoes and think about everything that you expect of them. Understand that not all RAs are alike and that you can't mold everyone into your ideal RA. From my experience the management desired robots, not real people.

10. "Audio Visual Technician"

Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician
    Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician

I worked at University of Colorado part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy, worked well while in school

Cons

On-campus job, pay is not great

11. "Family Nurse Practitioner/Instructor"

I worked at University of Colorado full-time

Pros

Knowledgeable and cooperative FNPs and MAs. Great supportive staff;

Cons

Micro-managing supervisor. Highly stressful. Low paying. Difficult to use EMR.

Advice to Management

Allow personnel more input into own work space and environment.