University of Connecticut Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst
Susan Herbst

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is a little far away from city (in 8 reviews)

• Union interactions are usually high stress, salary is a bit low for graduate students (in 8 reviews)

1. "Learning Resource Center is a great place to work and grow as a student."

Former Employee - Student Educational Technology Assistant in Storrs Mansfield, CT

Pros

Great opportunity to interact with students and faculty on campus and regional campuses by phone, email and walk-ins. You get to help others with their technology issues or tutor them through step by step. Basically you answer phone calls, emails or help them in person on technical needs such as campus email, people soft, web ct online courses, the mac computers, printers, scanners and so on. It is very rewarding to see people's eyes light up when they finally am able to understand what they were trying to figure out. It's nice to have them feel comfortable in learning such technologies. Management is awesome. He treats you with high respect and kindness.

Cons

Some downsides to others may be that some campus students and especially faculties talk down to student employees even though they try to help them resolve their issues. The student employees may be treated with disrespect due to frustrations amongst the person who needs the help or maybe because the student employee is seen as younger or inferior. So you might get yelled at or threatened. If you can highly tolerate this like me, then it won't be a downside, but seen as a challenge, as well as a learning experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Even though there are several changes with the LRC and more of merging with other student help departments, remember how great the grand opening was and no matter what, LRC is still a part of everyone who started there.

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Storrs Mansfield, CT
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Storrs Mansfield, CT

Pros

Lots of opportunities for graduate students to gain experience to prepare themselves for future careers.
    Many collaborative research efforts between departments.
    Many PIs are flexible about the time of day to start labwork.
    The amount of work you put in shows-whether in the lab, classroom, or teaching environment.

Cons

There is some conflict between departments concerning the allocation of resources and requirements to complete degrees.
    It is essential to go out of your way to find out about pay during the summer months.
    Problems found in teaching material one semester may not be corrected for the next.

Advice to Management

Don't make rotations mandatory for PhD students.
    Offer more lecture sections for overflowing undergraduate classes.
    Include a summer stipend.

3. "My work was meaningful and rewarding."

Former Employee - Associate Professor in Storrs Mansfield, CT
    Former Employee - Associate Professor in Storrs Mansfield, CT

Pros

Stimulating, meaningful, rewarding, choices, advancement

Cons

Long commute unless you live in Storrs.

Advice to Management

Encourage workers to focus on what they do best.

4. "Great working and living place if you love life style of country"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Storrs Mansfield, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Storrs Mansfield, CT

Pros

A great country side university. Life is easy in here. Beautiful and quiet campus. Great dairy bar serving wonderful ice cream.

Cons

The worse part for the university is definitely the location. It is off the major high way 20 minutes. It could be the downside for its competitive ability.

Advice to Management

Great, beautiful and quiet campus. The location is slightly off. It makes the competition harder to get more projects funded.

5. "Amazing."

Current Employee - Tour Guide in Storrs Mansfield, CT
    Current Employee - Tour Guide in Storrs Mansfield, CT

Pros

Great perks, great salary and a very caring management team. All colleagues get a long. A job where you can really hone your people skills.

Cons

Barely any. Do not work here if you are not willing to commit and put in the effort. If you put the effort in it is reciprocated.

Advice to Management

NONE.

6. "There are a lot of educational assignment and professional tasks, many challenges but great feeling of achievement!!"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Storrs Mansfield, CT
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Storrs Mansfield, CT

Pros

The faculty members are very nice and responsible for giving tasks.
    They not just give you the assignment, but they also help me and lead me to the right track.

Cons

The location is absolutely a negative element, parking issues.
    There is efficiency space to improve. Overall, the experience is very good and with much more positivity than negativity.

Advice to Management

The administration office should increase the channels of communications. The limitation of the campus area need social media platform to address.

7. "It was a great experience that I would have stayed at if I had remained enrolled at that school."

Former Employee - Student Administrative Assistant in Storrs Mansfield, CT
    Former Employee - Student Administrative Assistant in Storrs Mansfield, CT

Pros

Great learning experience for freshman like I was and there was a lot of room to be a student along with working.

Cons

There was a lot of down time in my office in the middle of semesters and I didn't quite like that.

8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Storrs, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Storrs, CT

I worked at University of Connecticut full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy going benovolent management culture, beautiful physical plant, great benifits, good pay

Cons

Often understaffed due to political and fiscal limitations

9. "I love the environment and the people I work with."

Current Employee - Student Employee in Storrs Mansfield, CT
    Current Employee - Student Employee in Storrs Mansfield, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a student worker and Uconn is very accomodating to my school scehdule. I am allowed to pick and choose when I work. I am allowed to take time off for summer/spring/thanksgiving/winter break vacations or choose to work full time.

Cons

I can only work 20 hours or less during the school semester. Also, if i were to discontinue my studies at the Univesity of Connecticut I would lose my position here as a student worker.

10. "The best educational value"

Current Employee - Professor in Storrs, CT
    Current Employee - Professor in Storrs, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great eductors. Civco is a National Teacher of the Year . Super "EDUTAINMENT"

Cons

None. No better place to learn, and work.

Advice to Management

Go go go