University of Connecticut Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Connecticut Reviews

Updated April 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • rursl setting makes it hard to attract graduate students and post docs (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management isn't really helpful (in 8 reviews)

1. "Reimbursement Analyst II"

Current Employee - Reimbursement Analyst in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Reimbursement Analyst in Farmington, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic state benefits, great pay and lots of job mobility across departments.

Cons

Unorganized management, threat of layoffs, and progressive discipline.

Advice to Management

Reward employees and recognize them for the positive things they have done.

2. "Rigorous PhD Biomedical Science Program (but heavily lab-dependent)"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Farmington, CT

Pros

UConn Health's PhD Biomedical Science Program is an unbrella program that allows you to explore multiple areas of concentration - Genetics and Developmental Biology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Immunology, Neuroscience, Skeletal and Craniofacial Biology. During your first year, you get to do up to three rotations (one per semester including the summer). Once you decide on the area of concentration and the lab for your thesis research, you continue onto a full-time doctoral thesis research while taking required classes for the specific area of concentration.

Cons

This is not specific to UConn Health only - rather a general issue when it comes to gradschool for life sciences. Most of the time, success during gradschool is determined by the type of relationship you have with your primary investigator (PI) and the nature of your project. Make the most of the rotations during the first year - make sure to some homework (don't just read their papers - talk to the lab people!). Also, grant situation is getting tougher as years go by. Make sure to ask your potential PI about the current funding status of the lab and also in near future.

Advice to Management

I don't have anything specific to say to UConn Health. I think the PhD Biomedical Science Program is a solid and rigorous program. But 95% of the experience depends who you work for (PI). That being said, I keep witnessing recurrent issues involving PIs that are not suited for management level positions. Grad students, postdocs and research assistants are the integral workforce that makes research possible, and they deserve to be treated with respect. Please come up with ways to ensure that PIs meet the expectations for proper management skills.

3. "Graduate Assistant at the Storrs campus"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Storrs, CT

I worked at University of Connecticut part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is sufficient to live on (if you rent with a roommate), relaxed work atmosphere, everyone's really great and willing to direct you/help you. Some departments give additional grants to their grad students which is awesome. You can get interest-free short-term loans from the Graduate Student Senate (up to $1500 to be repaid in three months with a possibility of a one-month extension last I was there). A lot of opportunity to engage and grow if you want to. 100% paid health care insurance.

Cons

Most graduate assistants only get 15 hrs/week and don't get paid over the summer break. They process your health care insurance that they pay for you as a grant so you end up paying taxes on it. School is in the middle of nowhere pretty much. Lack of graduate student housing and the housing near campus is expensive so a lot of folks end up living in Willimantic which sucks if you don't have a car since the most useful buses get overcrowded on a daily basis, plus, Willimantic, despite some good qualities, is a wee bit crimey.

Advice to Management

Give graduate assistants some paid work over the summer. Work to improve the bus system since you've already banished them from living on campus pretty much. Do something about the health insurance being processed as a grant.

5. "Great experience studying here"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Storrs, CT
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Storrs, CT

I worked at University of Connecticut full-time

Pros

I studied at Uconn for five years for my PhD in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering. The department has good reputation and graduate programs that providing various opportunities for professional growth. The professors and staff are very friendly, open-minded, and willing to help students. I have had pleasant experience studying here.

Cons

Storrs is a very beautiful town, but its location is a bit far from big stores or malls. It make take you at least 20-30 minutes to drive there, so driving a car seems to be necessary.

6. "Graduate Assistant at Center for Clean Energy Engineering"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Willington, CT
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Willington, CT

I worked at University of Connecticut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, Research, Organizations, Library resources

Cons

Salary, Social Life, Accommodation, Transportation

Advice to Management

Salary needs to be increased to meet CT life standards. Also graduate students should be accommodated in some dorms. There are very few dorms or university buildings available to accommodate grad students.

7. "Support for graduate assistants getting better"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Storrs, CT

Pros

Lots of support from the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (the college in which I was based), but when I was there, the support from the Graduate School was just getting better. Since the graduate students there unionized, it may be better, but I'm not sure. Lots of technology resources (virtual computers and virtual networks). Very helpful library staff.

Cons

Everyone knows that a 20 hour graduate assistantship doesn't mean you only work 20 hours; yet even with this understanding, many of my colleagues felt the assistantship stipends were only slightly competitive. The biggest complaint when I was there was that assistantship stipends weren't increasing relative to inflation and the very rapid increases in student fees from year to year. It also wasn't always clear what your student fees went towards and how you benefited from them.

Advice to Management

Value your graduate students! We know that we're cheap labor, but without us, you can't maintain your Tier 1 research university status. I wasn't for unionization, but it happened, and you kind of brought it onto yourself.

8. "Supervisor for branch of Residential Life"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Storrs, CT
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Storrs, CT

Pros

Great environment (coworkers, staff, work space).
    Excellent management.
    Reasonable pay.
    Perfect for working while a student.

Cons

Overnight hours can be difficult during semester.

9. "Great School"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Storrs, CT
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Storrs, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get involved in undergraduate research and top of the line facilities.

Cons

Professors often care more about getting research and grants rather than being teachers. Can lead to them not caring too much about their classes

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis on hiring teachers that actually teach and have the research background as well

10. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Storrs, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall a good place to work - people are generally pleasant. Generally, a pleasant environment.

Cons

As part of a large public university, there are a lot of policies and procedures and "red tape" to navigate through in order to get work accomplished. Sometimes, the seemingly most simple tasks can be the most difficult to get done.

Advice to Management

Please find ways to make systems within the University run more efficiently.

11. "Student employee at Dining Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Storrs, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut (Less than a year)

Pros

Make more friends and get paid. It's a good opportunity to get your English improved for foreign students.

Cons

You may feel a little tired when you work at late night shift.

Advice to Management

Nothing.