University of Delaware "newark" Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Delaware Employee Reviews about "newark"

Updated Jul 22, 2019

4.4
University of Delaware President Dennis Assanis (no image)
Dennis Assanis
Pros
Cons
  • "Graduate students are often given limited vacation days and expected to work holidays for no extra pay(in 23 reviews)

• "Newark Delaware is not the greatest place to live(in 19 reviews)

Reviews about "newark"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Review"

in Miller Place, NY

I have been working at University of Delaware for more than a year

Pros

Great university with great faculty

Cons

Newark Delaware is not the greatest place to live

University of Delaware2016-07-22
  2. "decent graduate stipend, could be better"

I have been working at University of Delaware full-time

Pros

if you get offered funding, take it! it's better than nothing.

Cons

salary is relatively low compared to our peer institutions, even though cost of living in Newark is relatively high.

University of Delaware2017-01-03
  3. "UDel"

I have been working at University of Delaware full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, good mentoring, salary is fine.

Cons

It's Newark, Delaware. There's not much to do here.

University of Delaware2016-04-04

"Great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

I have been working at University of Delaware full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful work environment, excellent benefits packages, tuition reimbursement, tuition remission (if you have dependents), flex hours in some positions

Cons

Compensation for non-exempt employees is lagging behind industry standards, no clear-cut path for advancement, parking in Newark DE is pretty horrible.

Advice to Management

Reward those who further their education and skills.

University of Delaware2015-10-13
  5. "Ambitious for a smaller university"

Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Researcher in Newark, DE

I have been working at University of Delaware for more than a year

Pros

The research efforts I have seen here are really quite ambitious for what I assumed was a smaller university. Everyone works hard and holds themselves to a high standard, and that pushes you to strive for higher standards as well.

Cons

The area is a bit isolated, and has the feel of a small college town. Philadelphia and Baltimore are each about an hour away, but Newark itself has not much to do after work.

Advice to Management

I think more could be done to promote interdisciplinary research across departments. Additionally, support is a bit lacking for new employees. There are lots of tours/introductions for new students, but I had to discover most of the services available on my own.

University of Delaware2015-06-22
  6. "Grad School Life"

Graduate Teaching Assistant in Newark, DE

I have been working at University of Delaware

Pros

-As a grad student, you get paid to continue your education -Fair amount of academic freedom, as a student -Pretty much make your own hours

Cons

-Newark is a very small town. -Culture is difficult to figure out. Professor politics abound. -You will have time for one hobby in addition to coursework, research, and teaching responsibilities -In conjunction with the above, your work-life balance is fairly non-existent -Not much say in the courses you actually teach

Advice to Management

Graduate Students are the lowest people on the totem pole, and it's very evident. A lot more could be done to invest in students, and the students are aware of this.

University of Delaware2015-05-14
  7. "Graduate student"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Newark, DE

I have been working at University of Delaware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Medium sized university. This is nice because you can be familiar with everyone in the department fairly easily. It's also situated close to other business and culture centers.

Cons

Newark as a town does not have too much going on, which could be good for you depending on what you're in to. I am a graduate student, so my adviser is my boss. This is the biggest factor in whether you will enjoy your time in grad school, so get to know him/her before you get to school.

Advice to Management

I would enjoy getting paid more, but who wouldn't? University of delaware does a decent job of promoting well being for the graduate students with an on campus graduate student only bar and other graduate student life things like that.

University of Delaware2015-02-27
  8. "Good place for research"

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Newark, DE

I have been working at University of Delaware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Excellent support of incoming graduate students. You don't have to choose an advisor right away as the university will support you for the first 6 months. - Professors are knowledgeable and friendly - Actually really good facilities and university institutions like CCM, IEC, and DBI

Cons

- Length of a graduate experience seems to be expanding. Have many colleagues who took >6 years to graduate - Social life leaves something to be desired. People are not active or very friendly. - Newark is not exactly a bustling hub for culture - Food options are mostly chains or the ubiquitous half bar/half restaurant establishments and located on a single street - Public transportation is infrequent or expensive to get to Philadelphia or Baltimore

University of Delaware2015-02-08
  9. "I think this is a vibrant, exciting place to work"

I have been working at University of Delaware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The kids are smart and there are a lot of dedicated professionals

Cons

I wish the pay was better. newark Delaware is not terrible convenient

Advice to Management

Give people opportunities to lead.

University of Delaware2015-01-25
  10. "Grad Student - Ph.D. Engineering"

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Newark, DE

I have been working at University of Delaware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Classes are informative and prepare you for relevant challenges. Great pay and love job. Great resources to help get work done and lab set up. Great safety culture.

Cons

Difficult work and very long hours. Lots of late nights and sometimes weekends. Best thing about Newark is the worst thing, which is the locations. A little too much of a college town.

Advice to Management

More opportunities to travel would be nice.

University of Delaware2015-01-05