University of Edinburgh Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
University of Edinburgh Principal Sir Timothy O'Shea
Sir Timothy O'Shea

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty good, staff treated well on the whole (in 10 reviews)

• Good support system and atmosphere, great benefits, colleagues were very supportive of each other and flexible working hours (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Career opportunities are good though (in 3 reviews)

• Increase desk space as a lot of places are getting filled up (in 3 reviews)

1. "Academic Tutor"

Current Contractor - Academic Tutor, Supervisor in Edinburgh, IN
    Current Contractor - Academic Tutor, Supervisor in Edinburgh, IN

I have been working at University of Edinburgh as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

perfectly organised institution
    high level of employment security
    excellent opportunities for career development

Cons

cannot think of anything

2. "Edinburgh intern"

Pros

Fantastic, helpful faculty. Great modern facilities. Very open, always lots of seminars, workshops, and other events. I learned a lot, really a great place to intern.

Cons

None really, I suppose Edinburgh isn't the biggest of cities, but it has enough of everything I'd say.

3. "Fantastic university"

Pros

Very good administration staff and top notch research. Fancy buildings

Cons

University work is not for everybody

5. "PhD student"

Pros

The following will depend on the supervisor and department but in my time here I felt:

Well supported
    There was lots of training opportunities
    A great deal of academic freedom was granted
    The institution takes pride on high quality research and looks good on your CV

Cons

Not really many cons. As with all academic positions there is a high expectation on students and staff to produce outputs. Work life balance sometimes not great, but that is maybe more the nature of the job than the institution

6. "ERI IP Commercialisation Internship"

I worked at University of Edinburgh as an intern

Pros

A great team with exposure to new interesting technologies on a weekly basis

Cons

Whilst the central location is good, the office itself is a bit tired.

Advice to Management

I think that the ERI internships are a brilliant way for PhD candidates to meet with management. A brilliant opportunity to work with one of UK's top TTO's!

7. "One happy chappy!"

I have been working at University of Edinburgh full-time

Pros

Great employer and excellent University! In addition to exemplary facilities and world-leading academic staff there are never ending social and culture events arranged but the university.

Cons

I would like more money... Doesn't every student! Don't do a PhD for the money. You should have a true passion in the topic you are pursuing.

Advice to Management

Senior management does an excellent job within the Institute I conduct my research.

8. "Employ.ed on campus Intern"

I worked at University of Edinburgh as an intern

Pros

- Great support from line managers and the internal careers service
    - Given real ownership of projects
    - Supported with workshops regarding employability skills and looking for graduate jobs
    - Great networking opportunities

Cons

- The department that I worked in was small and had funding cut soon after I completed my internship, so I wasn't able to continue in my role during the semester, as some of the interns in the larger departments were able to.

9. "Loved!"

Former Intern - Center for Research Collections in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Intern - Center for Research Collections in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Edinburgh as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was an intern with the Center for Research Collections under the guidance of Neil Lebeter, Art Collections Curator and Deputy Head of Museums. This internship was part of my master's program through the History of Art department.

My role was to create a podcast which discussed and explored some of the items within the university's collection. I can speak for myself and another intern (who curated an anatomical exhibit) when I say the joy of having an internship with the University of Edinburgh's Collections is the creative freedom. They encourage you to fully explore all of the objects and items in the archives, and bring them to life in unique and innovative ways. Little know fact: staff, students, and locals can request to look at any item in the archives. It is an active research collection!

Be prepared for a LOT of research. However, this was a joy for me, because some of the items are truly mind-blowing. Plus, working alongside the university's archivists, curators, and conservationists is your biggest asset, as they are so knowledgable, enthusiastic, helpful, and truly lovely people. Their passion for their work is clear, and they really enjoy sharing their archives! All you have to do is ask, and they'll take you through the stores to the object itself and discuss its unique history, and point you in the right direction for further research.

Honestly, this internship was one of the best experiences I had during my studies!

Cons

It is a very quiet office, and can get a little boring at times. HOWEVER, this internship is what you make of it. The work is self motivated. But if you are truly curious, you will find quite a bit to work with!

10. "CMS Support"

I worked at University of Edinburgh as an intern

Pros

Very relaxed environment with a lot of flexibility to work on projects of your choice, and get as involved as you wish to.

Cons

As a very large organization, things can work very slowly sometimes and getting things done becomes hard and time consuming.

11. "Great place in general"

I have been working at University of Edinburgh full-time

Pros

The city is stunning, this is a top university and there are hundreds of great societies and people to expand your horizons.

Cons

No cons, the library is top-quality