University of Hawaii at Manoa Postdoctoral Researcher Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Postdoctoral Researcher

Create your profile to get personalized information

University of Hawaii at Manoa Postdoctoral Researcher Reviews

Updated May 4, 2019

4.0
University of Hawaii at Manoa CEO David Lassner
David Lassner
  1. "Great supervisors"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher

I have been working at University of Hawaii at Manoa full-time

Pros

Excellent faculty and colleagues. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Some drama in some departments; finger pointing and blaming. Many--not all-underestimate the intelligence of local students and scholars if they do not have a degree from a brand name university.

Advice to Management

Hire more people from Hawaii and more people of color. There are many intelligent, qualified people of color and people from Hawaii who could teach here, who have earned their Ph.D.s elsewhere. What message does it send to islander students when all their professors are from abroad?

University of Hawaii at Manoa2019-05-05
  2. "Work in the paradise, but"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher

I have been working at University of Hawaii at Manoa full-time

Pros

The weather is always nice in Hawaii. Great city and safe environment.

Cons

Few opportunities for further promotion. Difficult to compete with people on the mainland.

University of Hawaii at Manoa2019-02-06
  3. "Postdoc in STEM"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at University of Hawaii at Manoa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cutting-edge research in my field, fantastic work / life balance, fantastic lab.

Cons

Postdocs are not salaried staff but contract workers -- i.e. no health insurance or other benefits; when I had to buy lab equipment on my own credit card due to an emergency, the reimbursements looked like payments and I was taxed on them.

Advice to Management

Postdocs should be eligible to be treated as employees for projects longer than 6 months. It drives talented people away when our job status is made so complex.

University of Hawaii at Manoa2018-08-17
  4. "Postdoctoral researcher"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Honolulu, HI

Pros

The Center for Microbial Oceanography Research and Education pays post docs very well. It is well funded and friendly place to work. The research is high caliber.

Cons

The Center for Microbial Oceanography Research and Education does not have much support in the way of career advancemet. You are kind of just on your own. Post docs are treated as independent contractors, so although we are payed very well, we have to pay for our own insurance, and there are no benefits packages.

University of Hawaii at Manoa2017-08-10