University of Hawaii at Manoa "no benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Hawaii at Manoa Employee Reviews about "no benefits"

Updated May 30, 2018

3.9
University of Hawaii at Manoa CEO David Lassner
David Lassner
Pros
  • "Flexible hours for students, supervisors are very accommodating to class schedules(in 8 reviews)

• "Flexible hours to work around your class schedule(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, lack of support for professional development(in 10 reviews)

• "Postdoc positions are basically treated as subcontractors, with no benefits, living on a stipend, doing the hard work(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "no benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"Postdoctoral fellow"

Postdoctoral Fellow in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at University of Hawaii at Manoa

Pros

The Manoa campus is very liveable, the weather is great, there are many interesting people, and Hawaii is an ideal location for many different fields of Science.

Cons

Some buildings are old and falling apart, facility management is under staffed, repairs take long time (months), there are no benefits for postdocs (no health insurance, have to pay for University ID card out of pocket, no business cards, lengthy reimbursement process,...).

Advice to Management

University of Hawaii would do itself a service by increasing the benefits to its post doctoral "employees". Health care, access to UH classes

University of Hawaii at Manoa2016-09-09
  2. "Postdoc"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Honolulu, HI

I worked at University of Hawaii at Manoa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall good experience. Too much work as usual, though a stimulating environment for those who like nature and outdoors.

Cons

Postdoc positions are basically treated as subcontractors, with no benefits, living on a stipend, doing the hard work.

Advice to Management

Should wake up and get more serious and professional.

University of Hawaii at Manoa2018-05-30
  3. "Postdoctoral researcher"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at University of Hawaii at Manoa full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Center for Microbial Oceanography Research and Education pays post docs very well. It is well funded and friendly place to work. The research is high caliber.

Cons

The Center for Microbial Oceanography Research and Education does not have much support in the way of career advancemet. You are kind of just on your own. Post docs are treated as independent contractors, so although we are payed very well, we have to pay for our own insurance, and there are no benefits packages.

University of Hawaii at Manoa2017-08-10
  4. "ok to work there"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at University of Hawaii at Manoa

Pros

Nice weather to live there

Cons

Post-docs work as contractors, no benefits, insurance, you do your own taxes

University of Hawaii at Manoa2017-03-20
  5. "Must have a thick skin to work as a secretary with professors and graduate students"

Former Contractor - Secretary in Honolulu, HI

I worked at University of Hawaii at Manoa for less than a year

Pros

As a casual hire (89 day contract) you schedule as much or little work as you would like. Also, you receive on the job training about protocol and procedures for student and departmental affairs. What made this job great In my case (though I hear in other departments it is not this way), is that I had a very supportive office staff that worked together and genuinely cared and supported each other.

Cons

Majority of the professors and some graduate students are very difficult to work with. You are also not given a voice or vote when it comes to hiring some of the people that you will work with. There are no benefits for casual hires.

Advice to Management

Please give a stronger voice to your office staff. In hiring and recruiting new professors or departmental candidates, the staff is sometimes asked to give an opinion but do not receive a vote in the hiring process.

University of Hawaii at Manoa2014-10-05
  6. "Postdoctoral Fellow"

Former Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow

I worked at University of Hawaii at Manoa for less than a year

Pros

Nice weather, friendly atmosphere, enjoyable outdoor activities, and good location.

Cons

Inefficient system, facility is under staffed, NO benefits for postdoc (no health insurance, no tax deduction at all), University *student* ID card for postdocs (which is humiliating), living cost is very high compared to the income upper bound.

Advice to Management

Please treat postdocs as employees.

University of Hawaii at Manoa2017-03-19