University of Illinois at Chicago Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I can not find anything to say because there is no cons (in 19 reviews)

• Low pay, the Union works poorly and negotiates badly (in 16 reviews)

1. "PhD Epidemiologist - Researcher"

Former Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Chicago part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IHRP has a great network of researchers to work with. There are also a couple of competitive fellowships available for PhD students.

Cons

The budget of the Univesrity is a mess. The administration is not always easy to navigate; it can get very political.

Advice to Management

PhD students have no money so if you could help them by providing them with information about potential funding it would be great.

2. "Graduate Assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Chicago part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good learning environment.
    Flexible working hours.

Cons

As a student sometimes I had to difficult time in managing the course work along with the assigned work. But, I would say that is only during the end of the semester. However my supervisor was very generous that she used to give me time to take care of my studies.

3. "Computer Specialist I"

Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

A lot of information technology knowledge is shared and the scheduling is very flexible

Cons

The pay is not even minimum wage level of chicago.

4. "Graduate teaching assistant"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Chicago part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tuition waiver is provided year round

Cons

None whatsoever. It's been a pleasure working here

Advice to Management

None

5. "Excellent with great benefits!"

Current Employee - Professor in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Professor in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Chicago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Faculty rights, collegial environment, and tremendous opportunities for growth and development

Cons

Some politics, buildings need maintenance, people not willing to change.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good work, make the system more stronger, cater to other campuses.

6. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Chicago (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly collaborative colleagues. Very diverse Man my opportunities for personal development.

Cons

Director title varies in scope, responsibility and salary.

Advice to Management

Mid-career non faculty staff get some memtoring, but need more in order to advance careers.

7. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Chicago full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Collaborative atmosphere across campus.

The majority of professors and staff were awesome to work or collaborate with on campus.

Easily accessible using public transportation, if needed, especially on snowy days.

Excellent work environment that offered flexibility in work hours depending on where you work on campus; great vacation and sick time benefits for academic positions. Reasonably priced healthcare benefits.

Cons

It depends on which department, division or your position and whether or not you have a chance of obtaining a promotion or higher title. There is not much chance of a promotion unless you obtain another position on campus or work for the right person or division that is expanding and has more opportunity.

Disconnect between division administration and rest of staff with little to no communication on divisional activities or status.

Employees do not pay into social security, and therefore are not eligible for the full amount upon retirement (windfall elimination provision) unless you obtain the necessary amount of credits into social security. Otherwise, you social security benefits are reduced.

Pension uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Include all staff in divisional meetings in order to increase communication within the division and provide an environment of inclusion rather than exclusion.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Computer Lab Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Computer Lab Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Flexible hours, great bosses, and simple workload. You can do homework when it's not too busy so you are always doing something productive.

Cons

The pay is very low. It pays around the state minumum wage, and when you live in a place like Chicago, that doesn't leave you with a lot of purchasing power.

Advice to Management

Be a little more transparent.

9. "Okay, but other fees could be lower"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Chicago part-time

Pros

If you are a PhD student, your work is mostly on your research topic, not much work is needed on other topics. If you are not a PhD student, but working for experience, it is worth it.

Cons

If you are also a student at UIC, you have to pay around $1000 per semester for various fees and health insurance. Very often, the PI's are laid back, and you need to take the initiative to work. And there is significant bureaucracy which takes many problems forever to solve.

Advice to Management

Please make sure the fees per semester is lower. With a salary of $2082 per month, we technically get paid for 11 months.

10. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Chicago full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are looking to make an impact, UIC serves an amazingly diverse demographic, with a high percentage of first generation college students.

Cons

You are working for the State of Illinois. The state is politically and financially broken. Service will ultimately diminish if Rauner and Madigan continue to not play nice.

Advice to Management

The leadership in the College of Business and at the Chancellor/Provost level is exceptional! In Higher Ed, it really matters who is at the healm.