University of Leeds Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
University of Leeds Chancellor Lord Melvyn Bragg
Lord Melvyn Bragg

Pros
Cons
  • Short term contracts and uncertainty (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, limited opportunities to advance, lots of cut backs at the moment resulting in poor job security, poor car parking (in 3 reviews)

1. "great experience"

I worked at University of Leeds part-time

Pros

everyone is really friendly and happy to answer any questions

Cons

none - positive experience with no draw backs

Advice to Management

all runs well

2. "Brilliant place to work, excellent facilities & staff benefits. Certainly one of the best employers in the country."

Current Employee - Computing Officer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Computing Officer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The working culture is very employee focused, with flexible working patterns being available. Great support available for staff and the facilities (such as the gym) are superb. Excellent holidays and the variety of work means no two days are the same. You meet a broad spectrum of people, from all walks of life and working on Campus is a breath of fresh air. Been at Leeds for five years and enjoyed every day.

Cons

Staff can become jaded or institutionalised if they've been working in the same job for too long so not everyone is as enthusiastic as myself. Neither are all the jobs as interesting as my own so I wouldn't say my views reflect everyone's.

The workload can be excessive on occasion, but there aren't many jobs where this isn't true.

Advice to Management

Communication to staff could be better from a management level. Sometimes the focus to make ever structure "corporate" risks alienating the people who love their job and do it with passion. The focus should be on lifting up the people who are jaded, not penalising the people who love the institution.

3. "Professional and driven and a hubbub of multiple talents and backgrounds."

Former Employee - Alumni Fundraiser in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Alumni Fundraiser in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Forward-thinking culture and positive environment where every individual is acknowledged and cherished.

Cons

Not as many benefits as one would expect for such a high-ranking institution.

Advice to Management

Spot and nurture aspiring and talented professionals.

5. "Very good environment. great work ethic. room for improvement and career advancement slim."

Current Employee - Research Officer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Officer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary. Good experience. Very nice city to live in. Great work environment. challenging tasks and projects. Flexible hours which is always a plus.

Cons

Not a lot of benefits. Career would be fixed in the academia business. Research is challenging and exciting but it is mostly useful in such environments.

6. "Opportunity to pursue own interests"

Current Employee - Lecturer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What I really love about working at the University of Leeds is that I am free to pursue my own interests within the framework of our strategy. So long as what I do fulfils the objectives, I am able to carve out my own route, which means I am always enthusiastic and motivated about what I am doing.
    I also like the opportunity to interact with people outside of my own Faculty across the whole organisation, and have the pleasure of working with some truly amazing and inspiring people.
    There are also great opportunities for personal development and a very positive and inclusive culture.

Cons

The only drawback is that I can be a victim of my own enthusiasm and that no-one will ever tell you not to do things. You need to be able to balance your own workload and priorities effectively here.

Advice to Management

Continue to give people the opportunity to grow and pursue their interests. It makes them more engaged and passionate about their work.

7. "This is a large institutions with many good innovations (but it does think a lot of itself)"

Current Employee - Academic Skills Development Tutor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Academic Skills Development Tutor in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The campus is great - with some brilliant facilities and there are quite a lot of options for personal development. There are some good staff benefits, and, within the Lifelong Learning Centre, a great and lovely range of students.

Cons

The bureaucracy can be a bit unwieldy, and all the innovations mean there is always a struggle for space. Money is spent on buildings and promotional material - It would be good if there was more of a balance so it was also spent on staff to support the students (I really don't understand the cutbacks to library staff).

Advice to Management

Concentrate less on what an important and prestigious place Leeds University is, and more on making sure you have the facility to support all students - and why not encourage collaborations with all universities in the region? (why only focus on the other Russell Group institutions?).

8. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible to fit around studies, well organised, good pay higher than minimum wage. The team leaders did a good job of allocating work based on demand and training sessions were useful.

Cons

At times it was very cold on the open days and doors had to be kept open in the halls for some reason. Some people were very lazy and should have been told to pick up the slack.

9. "Experience"

Pros

friendly environment
    good communication with the colleagues

Cons

work-life balance
    challenging students
    office culture and good students

10. "student"

Current Employee - Postgraduate Student in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postgraduate Student in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great teaching, staff very approachable and can learn a lot to put you in good stead for various future career paths

Cons

big student population and large classes makes it quite difficult to feel like you're noticed. smaller classes and more one to one sessions/contact hours would make a big difference.

Advice to Management

creating more contact hours of teaching and more office hours for tutors to give more opportunities for constructive feedback would benefit everyone.

11. "Great people"

I worked at University of Leeds full-time

Pros

The people and the teams are great.
    Some of the most flexible working policies I've had the pleasure of being involved with.

Cons

The separate nature of the schools and departments is very frustrating.
    The academic culture is not based on sharing making strategic planning a struggle.