University of London Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Lecturer"

Former Employee - Lecturer
    Former Employee - Lecturer

Pros

Great place ! Great salary, multi cultural and exciting , living in London which is a great city that caters to everyone.

Cons

Wanted to be in Israel , at this point of my life .

Advice to Management

Would like to work for Facebook in an area related to my multiskills and interets. I think I can do very much for the company , contributing my vast experience and knowledge that I have gained.

2. "Understanding and encouraging organisation, trying to move with the times within the limits of HE"

Current Employee - Career Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Career Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at University of London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work conditions, interesting varied roles, amazing friendly supportive colleagues. Genuine commitment to guidance approach. Even in the face of DHLE and HE landscape. .

Cons

Chaotic, less efficient than desirable and slow motion, but better in all these respects than the rest of the sector.

Advice to Management

Keep being genuinely human, it's great.

3. "Review"

I have been working at University of London full-time

Pros

Accomodating work environment in terms of flexible working. Good relationship with my managers.

Cons

The organisation is in general quite disorganised and there are some relatively archaic ways of working.

4. "researcher"

I have been working at University of London full-time

Pros

good reputation and good location

Cons

pay isn't satisfying at all taking living cost in london into consideration especially

"Avoid it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at University of London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't find any pros I'm afraid.

Cons

If you are not good in networking and you don't go out with the whole organisation for drinks, it's unlikely to be respected and promoted. Full of politics and corruption. Lack of transparency in everything they do.

6. "SOAS is not that great at all"

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Decolonising the SOAS curriculum is an amazing idea; we come to SOAS to learn about the vast wealth of knowledge and expertise passed on by the scholars of Oriental and African backgrounds, not just the traditional white scholars who have no doubt advanced their fields in an unquestionable manner.

Cons

on average, fractional staff at SOAS are only paid for 50% of the work they perform. Despite several rounds of negotiations, petitions, disruptions to essay marking, and the possibility of industrial action, SOAS management is still refusing to pay fractional staff a fair wage

Advice to Management

SOAS is a specialist in Asian and African studies and that should indeed be constituted with the philosophical ideas and theories of scholars from these regions too; it’s only right for us to learn about them.

7. "Friendly, professional, great staff"

Current Employee - Head of Infrastructure Services in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head of Infrastructure Services in London, England (UK)

Pros

The Holiday entitlement is a fantastic bonus, the building is superb the people are very professional and friendly and the training available is extensive.

Cons

Travelling to the office can be a nightmare especially if you use SE railway who are very unreliable. Some of the senior management are invisible.

Advice to Management

Be more visible, dynamic and honest

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Analyst/Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst/Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at University of London full-time

Pros

I worked within the CoSector department at Stewart House. Here are the pros:

1) They have chairs allowing you to sit while working.
    2) You get paid.
    3) You get a lunch break.

Cons

I can squarely say that unfortunately, working here was disappointing and unpleasant, and the following will elucidate why.

1) They had a number of weeks' notice that I would be starting work. Despite this, it took them weeks to set up my PC and install programs on, which meant I did almost nothing for the initial few weeks. How disorganised and sloppy of them!

2) The person in charge of operations of the call centre had the nerve to criticise me for not doing computer-based work and volunteering to do so, just as the technical equipment was finally set up! How silly and thoughtless is that for him to gripe about me not doing specific tasks when he made no effort to ensure the equipment was set up before starting work there?! Moreover, he was disliked by colleagues which explains why people said bad things about behind his back (i.e. he wanted people to work during the weekend, was too demanding, etc.). Also, he made false claims that my contract said things which it didn't.

3) Stewart House, the building I worked in, had no security measures to prevent unauthorised users from entering into different floors! This means unauthorised folks can freely enter the call centre on one of the floors and potentially perpetrate anything!

4) I received no benefits from working here, compared to former colleagues.

5) There was not much chance for career progression given the nature of the contract.

6) Mobile phones had no reception on the floor I worked at, so all calls, including emergency ones could have gone undetected!

In the main, working here was total garbage. They undervalued me, hardly provided work and heavily underused me. Leaving them was one of the wisest career moves I have made, and existing employees should do the same. As for job seekers: avoid disappointment by seeking work elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop being demanding, judgmental and inconsiderate to the people you manage and their feelings. This includes not expecting things to be done without ensuring the means are in place.

Improve your verbal skills, as the monotone voice makes you unapproachable.

9. "Employee benefits great but bureaucratic"

I have been working at University of London full-time

Pros

Pension, annual leave, work life balance all great
    Lots of training opportunities
    Staff are all very friendly/competent

Cons

Bureaucratic
    Managers arent very effective
    Rely heavily on outsourcing/contractors

Advice to Management

Less outsourcing, take on more responsibility for long term improvements

10. "Cosector poorly managed"

Pros

Holiday, pension and flexibility.

Cons

Managers not working together and not listening to staff.
    Easy for team members to get away with doing very little.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and stop employing so many contractors. Bring in targets for all staff including managers. Be a little more proactive with business strategy.