University of Maryland Medical Center Reviews in Columbia, MD | Glassdoor

2.9
Jeffrey A. Rivest

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Limited pay, Limited room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• There are no cons that come to mind (in 5 reviews)

1. "Radiation Oncology"

Current Employee - Radiation Therapist in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Radiation Therapist in Columbia, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical Center full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Awesome doctors and staff. Management willing to work with employees.

Cons

Set schedule and working overtime.

Advice to Management

Continue with prn coverage. Keeps employees, other staff in the department, patients and doctors happy!

2. "Helpdesk - Worst Decision of my life - Read before you apply!"

Current Employee - Helpdesk I in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Helpdesk I in Columbia, MD

Pros

The company offers many great benefits. The company has a great reputation and some very good people working there.

Cons

When I interviewed I was told I would be a Helpdesk II and they would bring me in for a certain salary. I was basically hired on the spot the day of my interview. I received the official call and the money and the position were not what the Manager and Director had said it would be. I questioned this and I was told that must have included a shift premium which I would get eventually. I accepted the job anyway because I believed that I would really enjoy the job and advancement was almost inevitable.

On my first day I walked into what I can only describe as the most hostile work environment I have ever been exposed to. The Manager is foul mouthed and seems to be a puppet for the Director. When on your first day you see employees all without a smile and when you try and talk to any of the employees they seem as if they want to talk to you but are scared of what management will say if they do.

The favoritism and the employees they are obviously attempting to drive out is obvious. If you are not in a very specific demographic you will not last on this helpdesk. When you do have a change to speak with the current employees they are all saying the same thing. There was an investigation conducted by HR to investigate the issues which were voiced by the staff and nothing has been done except getting employees back pay for when they were forced to repeatedly work through the meal break and were never compensated for it. the attitudes and the lack of professionalism obviously has not been addressed or if it has it did not stick. The average employee on the helpdesk is only there about a year or less. Between the horror stories and what I have seen with my own eyes I would only advise to think twice before going to work at the Help desk. Other departments do not seem to have any issues but transferring is not an option according to all the seasoned (more than a few months employed) employees. Of the 6 or so employees who have been there for over a year 4 are actively looking for another job.

My best advice is to apply for any other department but the helpdesk. You may get the job but it will prove to be a waste of your time and energy with no room for advancement and in a year or less you will be looking for yet another job. Do not tarnish your employment history with this helpdesk. It was the worst decision I have ever made.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to see how the Manager and Director treat the employees.If an investigation is performed there had to be a reason and cause.

The best advice I can give is to attempt to change the viewpoint of the department and to start with fresh management. After I read through the reviews I wished I had read them prior to my accepting the position.

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Columbia, MD

I worked at University of Maryland Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

Trying their best to keep up with the technology. Good environment.

Cons

Staff not focused on important aspects of IT.

Advice to Management

Management needs to hire refresh management staff and bring in more leadership.

"Help Desk Management needs to be replaced."

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Columbia, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company and all other IT teams are a great team. Benefits are good. The chance to advance to other departments exists but is held up by the management of Help Desk.

Cons

These are the complaints from the Help Desk on a routine basis. Employees on both evening and overnight shift are required to work alone 2 of the 5 days they are scheduled to work. Policy states we are not permitted to go “Not Ready” at any time as this would leave helpdesk phone unattended and thus leaving all calls received during our scheduled meal break and rest breaks unanswered. We are placed in a position where even going to the lavatory is frowned upon and we are questioned to our whereabouts either verbally or via email if we were to place ourselves in the “Not Ready” status. We do not receive compensation for the 30 minutes which is automatically deducted from our Kronos Time Swipe . Additionally, we are not permitted to use the “cancel meal deduction” as we have been advised that it is just the way it is when you work on evening or overnights due to scheduling issues. The fact we will not be able to take a meal break is a known fact as they only schedule one person and we are not permitted to take an uninterrupted break without placing all seven hospitals and any subsidiaries we support in the position of not having immediate response to critical IT issues. Employees have attempted in the past to adhere to the Human Resource policy of submitting Kronos forms and the employees were advised that this was not the helpdesk procedure. They were not honored or processed

Although we "earn" sick time we are not permitted to take more than 4 days within a calendar year (this is not HR policy - this is the policy of the help desk) We have had numerous employees report to work quite ill as they cannot afford to be written up for sick time taken and this has caused viruses and flu to infect others. On other occasions it has been said that if you need to schedule surgery or attend a child’s surgery you are not permitted to take more than 4 days per year without a written occurrence and you would need to use vacation time instead. We have also had an employee who received a phone call stating they had to take a family member to the hospital for an emergency situation. They advised management of issue and were given permission by one member of management to leave and then upon return to the workplace received a reprimand up by another member of management. Another employee received a call from their spouse regarding their child being quite ill and when the employee asked permission to leave they were told no and that they would be written up and possibly terminated if they were to leave.

Time earned - although we earn PL days and if working a holiday are entitled to an alternate day off, since the turnover is so rampant and the implementation of a new program prohibited us from scheduling any leave from October to December all employees were forced to surrender the time earned, they just do not have the people to cover the shifts.

There appears to be a very evident racial disparity and certain demographics are all but forced off the help desk.

An employee with a disability once asked for a larger monitor and was denied as it was "not in the budget" - She very soon after became a former employee.

Profanity is used by management when they speak to staff, belittling and verbal abuse is commonplace.

All other departments are aware of situation but nothing is being done.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews and interview staff in an environment where they are subject to the possibility of retaliation within the helpdesk environment which can only be described as a hostile workplace is inevitable.

University of Maryland Medical Center Response

Feb 10, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Marketing & Sourcing Specialist

We appreciate your feedback. The University of Maryland Medical System has become aware of the issues raised in this post and takes the allegations very seriously. In addition to our goal of... More