University of Massachusetts Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
University of Massachusetts President Marty Meehan
Marty Meehan
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great work life balance and benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great location; Great benefits; Supportive work environment; Very active and engaged academic community (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no cons that come to mind (in 9 reviews)

• Unfortunately there is no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

1. "Ups and Downs"

Former Employee - Student Worker in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Amherst, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job was okay, the supervisors were generally friendly and willing to help. They were great at accommodating my student schedule and allowed me to change shifts each semester.

Cons

The managers at the Blue Wall ("head honchos") were rude and very demanding to student staff. Many full time employees were repeatedly laid off when classes were out of session, leading to poor morale. The pay was atrocious.

Advice to Management

Stop laying off employees and take a close look at your Blue Wall managers. Pay students at least a little bit better... many of us work very hard and $10 (minimum wage) is a pittance!

2. "Lecturer I"

Current Employee - Lecturer I in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Lecturer I in Boston, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the tenure track people are very good researchers it is a pleasure to work with them.

Cons

Part time teaching in UMass may turn any young researcher into a low-paid high-school level teacher. Dead-end for your career, you won't get any research done, and you won't get a good salary as a teacher either.

3. "Pot Washer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts part-time

Pros

-Extremely understanding of academic responsibilities
    -Never had a problem missing a shift, showing up late, or leaving early in order to fufill academic responsibilities
    -Flexible breaks

Cons

-Very uncomfortable work environment at times (very wet, steamy, and hot)
    -Can be very stressful at busy times and when people don't show up (i.e. closing and in between course changes)
    -Need to wear rubber boots, apron, and gloves unless you want to get absolutely soaked (sometimes these run out which can be a nightmare)

Advice to Management

-Continue allowing leniency in scheduling for full time students
    -Make sure you have sufficient supplies of rubber aprons, boots, and gloves. Not having these leaves employees absolutely soaked
    -If possible try expanding this area. Always was very cramped and congested

"Poor management. Needs better leadership."

Former Employee - IT Department in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - IT Department in Boston, MA

Pros

People are friendly. Flexible hours for the most part. Probably a good place to work at if you're more focused on retirement but I can't recommend it for young people.

Cons

Terrible and inexperienced management. They tend to take credit for your work. They like to outsource or buy expensive products that ends up not being used in order to justify their accomplishments for the year. Unions make most people lazy and not work to their full potential. Management likes to ask you verbally and avoid sending you emails for work outside your job description so there won't be paper trails.

Advice to Management

Get your act together

5. "Instructor at School of Engineering"

Former Employee - Instructor in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Amherst, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back, you are free to do what you think is best.

Cons

No support, very little feedback.

6. "GTA"

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Amherst, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement
    Health & Wellness Reimbursements
    Excellent Dental and Vision plan
    Gained experience teaching in an university setting
    access to five colleges

Cons

Underpaid compared to other institutions
    always directly affected by state budget cuts
    somewhat crappy medical insurance
    middle of nowhere town

Advice to Management

Treat your GTA's better and increase the pay so we don't qualify for welfare wages.

7. "Overwork, Underpaid"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Amherst Center, MA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Amherst Center, MA

Pros

- Academia
    - If you have a car, university is 2-3 hours from New York City and Boston

Cons

It depends on your adviser/supervisor for a graduate research assistant. I was overworked and underpaid as graduate student. I did not learn anything of value from my adviser, and I was not allowed to take classes because it takes time away from my work.

- Overworked (Contract 4 hrs, worked much more)
    - Underpaid (Did not get paid more for working more)
    - University is a middle of nowhere (for a person coming from an urban city)

8. "Don't appreciate the hard work of their employees"

Current Employee - Post Doc in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Post Doc in Worcester, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a very intellectually stimulating environment, lots of research and some of the top researchers in the world so there's a great focus on learning and advancing medicine. Also, the benefits are great.

Cons

I don't believe the employees are all treated with the kind of respect expected for the amount of work effort demanded for this type of field. Employees are expected to come in on weekends and holidays, fight through extreme weather to get to work under any circumstances. Yet, they make employees pay for their parking; reviews and raises are not done and pay is fairly poor.

Advice to Management

Make the PIs do more to treat their lab members like regular employees - if they want better output, reward their efforts.

9. "Job was good until too few people had to do too much for little money"

Current Employee - Technical Assistant II in Amherst, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Assistant II in Amherst, OH

Pros

Research opportunities. The area is a nice place to live.

Cons

no room for advancement
    lack of respect for people with low paying jobs

Advice to Management

Have respect for employees.
    Don't expand if you aren't going to hire people to maintain the expansion

10. "Don't like it but it's the best in the area"

Current Employee - I T in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - I T in Worcester, MA

Pros

Working for UMASS Medical School is very challenging but it has great benefits and an excellent work-life balance. It's why most people still work here. For me the pros are ten minutes away from where i live, more paid holidays that any other employer in the area, great compensation compared to the rest of the companies in the area, extremely flexible work life balance which includes working from home and a very generous benefits package and retirement plan.

Cons

Where to begin?

This company is completely politics driven and there is no accountability.
    There is no growth and career advancement.
    Folks in I.T. withhold information, are very difficult to work with, don’t communicate changes and they never plan ahead. There isn’t a clear process on how to proceed on a daily basis. Everyone works in reactive and not in proactive mode. Don’t fix it until its broken type of mentality.
    There’s absolutely no communication between I.T. departments, so if something changes many hours are wasted to figure out the problem that was caused by the non-communicated change.
    Yearly reviews with your manager are a joke and there is no feedback at all.
    There is no recognition and praise when you put in long hours and after you have fixed a major problem caused by a non-communicated change. Most people don't care or don't want to know what you did and why you stayed late. If you do this often and keep staying late it's then expected.
    Management and Senior Management are unqualified for the job. They still work here because it’s a State Agency and they know Key people.
    What’s also a slap to the face is how promotions and raises are given. It seems that only the incompetent and lazy are promoted.
    This place also lack basic professionalism standards that are required in the workplace.
    There is no respect between employees because the whole place is politic-driven.
    That’s the best I can do with the character limit imposed by Glassdoor.com. To fully review this company you’ll need to write a book.
    I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone except those who have a family and look for a balanced work-life relationship.
    The only thing I have to look forward to everyday is when it’s time to go home, when it’s Friday or when I take my vacation.

Advice to Management

See Cons.