University of Melbourne Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Melbourne Reviews

Updated March 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Pay is good, 17% super is excellent, good recognition of entitlements like parental leave (in 7 reviews)

• Great team, respects your studies if you're a student, they invest in your professional development, great work-life balance, amazing pay considering (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • As a professional staff member it was very hard to get things done (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management busy throwing others under the bus instead of listening and addressing real issues (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good opportunity"

Current Employee - University Tutor in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - University Tutor in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at University of Melbourne part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for recalling knowledge
    Good in resume
    Easy way to meet other talented students, probably easier to form group in group assignments.
    Get training

Cons

Time consuming
    There is a chance for getting some tutorials with bad time slot.
    Need to be very careful with the words and acts, as this could affect the uni.

Advice to Management

This post is basically not related to management, as we don't manage people, we basically is the bottom most layer in the teaching team.

2. "analyst"

I worked at University of Melbourne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

salary, annual leave, 17% super

Cons

not good promotion, always having a staff restructure

Advice to Management

listen to the lower front line staff as they have good ideas

3. "Toxic Experience"

Pros

Flexibility of working hours, and great pay rate! Interacting with Uni students can be fun.

Cons

My supervisor had no regard for my work-life balance, and expected me to work through weekends, evenings, and public holidays. I couldn't speak up without fear of retribution or reprimand. Our research project was led with a blame-oriented approach rather than a solution-oriented leadership. This affected me both mentally and physically.

Advice to Management

Please respect casual employees as being part of the wider team. It's ridiculous that I was asked not to be in direct contact with some members of the faculty via email because they didn't know who I was. I'm obviously a staff member with a staff email. I had to ask someone else of a "higher position" to email on behalf of me at times.

5. "Amazing opportunity"

Former Employee - Communication Administrator in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Communication Administrator in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

The culture, diversity, management is at its best.
    Employee rights, health, well-being and safety is ensured at all levels.
    Job security and pay is highly satisfactory.

Cons

One needs to have strong internal networks to get a job.
    Pay rises and promotions are difficult.

6. "Tutor work"

Former Employee - Tutor in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Tutor in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at University of Melbourne (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, flexible work to support yourself during your studies.
    Learn more from subjects you help tutor than when you took them.
    Large amounts of autonomy

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement if you don't plan on PhD
    Doesn't develop industry-related skills.

Advice to Management

Work out a way to incentivize experienced casual staff to stay.

7. "Be wary of Academic Services divisioin"

Pros

Great working environment, generally really impressive colleagues, working with smart and motivated students

Cons

Generally incompetent middle and upper level management. They burn through resources and money and never take the blame for their stuff ups

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage people and resources. Allow your staff to show their initiative and talents

8. "Subject coordinator"

Former Employee - Subject Coordinator in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Subject Coordinator in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at University of Melbourne part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a big university with large numbet of students. Staff is mostly friendly and experienced

Cons

Difficult to get a full time position. Students are coming from many different backgrounds and cultures, making it difficult to engage them

Advice to Management

Enphasis is put in university rankings but little is been done in regards to proper support to research and value for your degree, in terms of employment opportunities

9. "Great place!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Support Officer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Support Officer in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at University of Melbourne (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, respects your studies if you're a student, they invest in your professional development, great work-life balance, amazing pay considering!

Cons

Nothing bad to say about working here!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great working environment, and everything else.

10. "Student"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

It's very good to study in university of Melbourne

Cons

It's very hard to get H1, the exam is difficult

"Terrible workplace for professional staff."

Former Employee - Manager in Parkville (Australia)
    Former Employee - Manager in Parkville (Australia)

I worked at University of Melbourne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working "where great minds collide" ... except that by definition and implication, collisions are violent and destructive and the verb "collide" indicates conflict. I think the marketing folk meant "collaborate" or "synergise" rather than "collide". Pretty accurate tag line, though, for what actually goes on, so kudos for being honest about the many conflicts that go on in this workplace.

Aside from being around great minds, the only good thing about working here is being in a beautiful campus.

Cons

Academics and researchers love working here. However, their great experiences (and high ratings on Glassdoor) come at the expense of the blood, sweat and tears of under-appreciated and overworked professional staff. Senior leadership is quick to take action if one academic makes an unreasonable complaint and slow to acknowledge hundreds of examples of excellent work that professional staff perform.

Systems don't make any sense; leadership is dysfunctional; and inefficiencies are deeply embedded everywhere in the organisation. The most hardworking, competent professional staff would still end up being inefficient in this chaotic space.

To top it all off, the culture of gossip and backstabbing coupled with the terrible IT systems are not conducive to achieving great work.

Advice to Management

Take time to genuinely reward and recognise professional staff. Behind every academic and researcher's achievement are dozens of professional staff who put in long hours dealing with inefficient systems and performing thankless jobs.

Don't jump to change something that works just because a senior academic said something negative. You should also try to keep professional staff happy to be working here, and not simply treat academics as gods and staff as slaves.

I was part of a huge exodus of miserable, frustrated, highly stressed professional staff who left the University in 2015-16, with someone leaving every week or fortnight from our area. Learn from our departures.

Set an example of high professionalism in your leadership so that it trickles down to the ranks below. Professionalise the culture and weed out the toxic influences.

Most importantly, perform an honest and comprehensive review of the BIP restructure and learn from all the terrible experiences that arose from it.

Be genuinely agile; don't just pretend you are. Live the university services values.