University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine Reviews in Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL | Glassdoor

University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine Miami Reviews

Updated June 15, 2017

Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL Area

3.3
University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine Regional Dean for Medical Education Daniel M. Lichtstein
Daniel M. Lichtstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits and since I need 20 or more words I still say benefits as re about it (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits, such as tuition reimbursement (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Room for growth is difficult depending on department and administration in charge of that department (in 3 reviews)

• Administration an higher ups do not respect basic research (in 3 reviews)

"Research Associate II"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, Full time, Healthcare, Medical, Pathology

Cons

Average salary, hard to move up, lots of experiments, failure

"Financial Woes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work with some amazing people and world renowned doctors and scientists who perform amazing things in the interest of health and diseases. Unlike corporate America, at UM I have a real opportunity to make a significant impact on business operations.

Cons

It has become a very challenging environment with financial troubles and hiring difficulties. The bureaucracy and interdepartmental conflicts inhibit progress. Despite millions of dollars spent on improving the employee culture, there has been nothing to show for it.

Advice to Management

Get in the trenches and listen to the people who actually deliver clinical services and make research happen. Know their challenges and opportunities and stop decision-making from 30K feet with flawed data.

3. "Gave it my all !!!! Still didn't matter."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed my time at the U very much!!!! Able to perform my task with little supervision.

Cons

Prefer to remain silent.

Advice to Management

Improve moral and give recognition where it's due.

4. "regulatory analyst for clinical studies"

Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good working hours, good benefit

Cons

many admin trivia things in the way of getting things done

5. "Potential for more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine (More than a year)

Pros

9-5 hours, family like environment

Cons

slow growth. old school resources and mentality. not willing to change

Advice to Management

be aware of what employees need and want; dont offer growth potential when it is not there

6. "University of Miami Miller School of Medicine"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Miami, FL

Pros

Principal Investigator's expertise, challenging work environment, team work is important, organized computer systems in place, interdependence, emphasis on the importance of lifelong training.

Cons

Salary is extremely low irrespective of previous work experience and number of years in the field. Performing senior level position with entry level salary.

7. "Behemoth institution with many resources but moves at a snails pace"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Miami, FL

Pros

Large institution with many resources.

After one-year of working full-time you have the option to start putting money into a retirement savings fund, which they match up to 5%. I believe this is fairly standard at large companies.

Cons

Because it is so large and because it runs on "Miami time", everything at UM takes way longer than it should. It took them 2 months before they could even issue me an ID AFTER I started working.

Nice wellness center facility, but you have to pay for it, which is unusual.

Advice to Management

Efficiency needs be increased across the board, the fat trimmed so to speak. Management needs to take more interest in their employees work but micromanage less.

8. "Working for the U"

Current Employee - Research Associate III in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Research Associate III in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. They offer increasing vacation time as you work there. Also, they offer employees access to UM sporting events.

Cons

Specialization. I'm finding it very difficult to transition to another department/type of function as I've worked in the same type of funtion for the duration of my time working at the university

9. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I really enjoy working with my co workers, reporting staff, as well some of the interdepartmental colleagues and employees. Great benefits, such as tuition reimbursement. There is some flexibility in schedule depending on your role and who you report to. Many of the physicians and nurses and administrators are wonderful to work with as well. Some are visionaries and they set an amazing example which will inspire you to do your very best. And of course its very rewarding being able to provide patients and their families with the care they need. The ratings below relate to a manager's ability to advance and a manager's role at UM.

Cons

A very political and hierarchical place. Some higher ups are snobby and condescending (providers and administrators). This is a challenging place for lower and mid level managers and some directors who work in the patient care setting (direct or indirect care). When you make recommendations to higher ups, it has to be worded very carefully as not to injure any big egos. No matter how great a manager you are, expect lots of "feedback" (criticism) and little appreciation. This is not a place for the thin skinned manager. The constant "feedback" from physicians will wear you out. Location is everything and the medical campus is located in a congested land locked area. If you decide to drive here, expect to get stuck in traffic and also $ taken out monthly for parking in one of the garages.

Advice to Management

Improve flexibility of schedules- Offer employees, even those in patient care settings the flexibility to work from home 4 times a month or work 10 hour shifts and get the 5th day off. Increase pay for front line workers, don't be so heavily critical for every little mistake. They do the heavy lifting so treat them well. Lean is not the best way. Excellent service requires more than adequate staffing.

10. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome place to work, you have many opportunities for learning.

Cons

Hiring process is very long

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work