University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2020

3.4
University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine Regional Dean for Medical Education  Daniel M. Lichtstein
Daniel M. Lichtstein
Pros
  • "Great structure, diversified fields of expertise across campus for collaborations, good benefits(in 16 reviews)

• "Great benefits and lots of research opportunities available(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "No room for growth in the Public Safety department(in 5 reviews)

• "Room for growth is difficult depending on department and administration in charge of that department(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Boss"

5.0
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine part-time for more than a year

Pros

Job was great even as a part time employee. They treated me with nothing but respect.

Cons

I found nothing wrong here.

2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Assistant

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved my department. Feels nice to be part of the U.

Cons

Very big establishment so there is not a lot of money to do fun things Or offer more benefits that would be helpful with so many employees

3. "Goo place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Scientist

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cons

Compensation is below average market

4. "UM"

Current Employee - Simulation Technologist

Pros

Benefits (401(k) match after one year of employment, PTO accrued biweekly (Vacation, Sick, Floating Holiday hours, & Paid Holidays) Good Insurance (Health, Dental, and Vision) Good Life Insurance

Cons

Promotion may not happen in the field you'll like A lot of bureaucracy which will limit progression in many projects

Continue reading
  5. "Excellent benefits, constant leadership changes"

Current Employee - Manager, Research Support

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

UM offers a wide range of excellent benefits. A lot of PTO, excellent medical and dental and 100% tuition remission benefits. A lot o flexibility (varieds by department) with options to work remote. The excellent benefits somewhat helps compensates for the atrocious pay.

Cons

Salaries are lower than other leading Medical/Research institutes and it is almost impossible to get a significant promotion (over 3%). The policy here is to pay outside hires significantly more than current employees who are already trained in UM systems, culture, and policy. Having to issue retention packages to retain talent ends up costing UM a lot more than it would just pay a living wage and offered decent advancement opportunities right of the bat. Leadership changes every few months which severely decreases moral and increases anxiety.

6. "UHealth"

Former Employee - Senior Practice Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, really great! The university matches employee contributions to retirement up to 5%.

Cons

The company working environment and culture resembles Game of Thrones...

7. "Complete lack of management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a beautiful banyan tree with water feature in the center courtyard.

Cons

- Cannot use vacation time for 6 months from hire date - Must provide 30 days notice or you cannot be hired within the University ever again - The cheapest health insurance plan is $400/mo for individual and spouse and requires a several month wait to see a physician. - Poorly managed from the very top down, so the lowest paid individuals get the majority of the workload - Management refuses to take action based on direct report feedback While my direct supervisor was fantastic, every person above her prevented her from improving the work environment. The expectations far exceeded the pay grade. Specifically the GYO (Ob/Gyn) research team saw 6 managers within 3 years, and ever greater turnover for coordinators and data managers. Everything told to you in orientation is a total fabrication to make you believe that you'll be entering a positive work environment, but really they provide you with ultimatums at every turn to try and force you to stay.

Continue reading
  8. "Professional and Interesting"

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with top health care professionals, working close with students, very professional

Cons

Lack of employee engagement, outdated fascilities

Continue reading
  9. "Great working environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of great research going on

Cons

None that I can think about now.

10. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Public Safety Officer in Miami, FL

Pros

Great insurance benefits, educational benefits, and retirement plan.

Cons

No room for growth in the Public Safety department. Doctors and staff at the hospital can be very rude and unreasonably difficult.

Found 110 reviews