University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine Reviews

Updated August 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.1
University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine Regional Dean for Medical Education Daniel M. Lichtstein
Daniel M. Lichtstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits and since I need 20 or more words I still say benefits as re about it (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits, such as tuition reimbursement (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Room for growth is difficult depending on department and administration in charge of that department (in 3 reviews)

• If you don't know someone in the higher ups it will be a long time or probably never before you get a promotion (in 3 reviews)

"4 out of 5"

Pros

Rewarding, challenging, good coworkers, enriching environment, promotion of further education

Cons

Top heavy! Too many Deans and Executives brought in. We dont even know what roles they fulfill in the University. Regardless of the hiring of all this outside "talent", the university has had a promotion/raise freeze on its salaried employees for way too long.

Advice to Management

In basic research, I dont feel that salaries are adequate to the work we do and to the responsibilities we have.

"Not all its hyped up to be..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. You will gain "experience". May be able to move to other areas if you are unhappy in your current role, after one year. Benefits are ok.

Cons

Low salary that doesn't meet the cost of living wages in the area. Annual merit increases were not distributed this year and no information was provided to staff. Unprofessional culture, many employees have the mindset that it is "not their problem" and no one steps up to plate and takes initiative. Many employees are rude and will argue and/or yell when they are upset. No follow-through from management or human resources. Employees receive many write ups but never get terminated. Emails and questions never get responded to in a timely manner. The UMH building is outdated and needs many renovations. A lot of disgruntled employees. Continuing education was such a let down, only non degree certifications are made available to staff as well an undergraduate degree in general studies. If you are hoping to get some tuition reimbursement for a graduate degree, its not likely...
    Parking is not free for employees... The free lots always fill up quickly and its a long walk to the hospital or you have to wait for the shuttle to come around every 15-20 minutes.

Advice to Management

Develop a team of individuals who will seek out departmental problems and utilize staff feedback for improvement processes.

3. "research associate"

Pros

Great community of coworkers who care about you.

Cons

Poor administration and financial planning by the top executives.

"Employees under valued"

Pros

Great benefits. Great co workers

Cons

low pay. Employees under valued

5. "Nurse"

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent medical professionals. Amazing benefits. Good Pay

Cons

Could give more per diem positions. advancement can take awhile

"Financial Woes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work with some amazing people and world renowned doctors and scientists who perform amazing things in the interest of health and diseases. Unlike corporate America, at UM I have a real opportunity to make a significant impact on business operations.

Cons

It has become a very challenging environment with financial troubles and hiring difficulties. The bureaucracy and interdepartmental conflicts inhibit progress. Despite millions of dollars spent on improving the employee culture, there has been nothing to show for it.

Advice to Management

Get in the trenches and listen to the people who actually deliver clinical services and make research happen. Know their challenges and opportunities and stop decision-making from 30K feet with flawed data.

"Manager"

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time

Pros

benefits, opportunities for advancement

Cons

a lot of red tape to get things done

"Review"

Pros

Great work environment, great co workers

Cons

Salary, no room for growth

9. "Research Scientist"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Have good benefits and environment

Cons

You can't expect any growth

Advice to Management

Focus on employment growth and their needs too

10. "Gave it my all !!!! Still didn't matter."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed my time at the U very much!!!! Able to perform my task with little supervision.

Cons

Prefer to remain silent.

Advice to Management

Improve moral and give recognition where it's due.