University of Miami Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala
Donna E. Shalala

Pros
Cons
  • Salary is low for the Miami area (in 24 reviews)

• Very little room for growth or any advancement in one's current department (in 13 reviews)

"Don't work here"

Current Employee - Advancement in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Advancement in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros: 1) Resume builder 2) multiple locations 3) 401k plan gives you 5% of your salary plus will match up to an additional 5% match. 4) discount tuition for your spouse and children 5) decent health insurance but less then one would expect from a University that has hospitals. 6)solid training program for all systems and programs used 7) growth opportunities

Cons

1) Not a very professional office 2) Payou for most of middle tier positions are low even for the area. 3) There is a general lack of collaboration among the departments coupled with a "I am the ruler of my kingdom " mentality has caused the need for a "culture overhall "

Advice to Management

In order for the culture change to be successful you must start at the top.

2. "Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus (CG); good health insurance; access to education; access to various facilities like kids summer camp, pool, gym, etc. Seems like new President is taking school in the right direction.

Cons

(School of Business) Low pay; mediocre leadership team; terrible HR managers; management style promotes harassment, bullying, and micromanagement. Current leadership has little situational awareness and provide little assistance to graduates to find good paying jobs.

Advice to Management

Resign.

3. "Worst place for PhD"

Former Employee - Scientist in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Scientist in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a recognized institution with plenty of technology fairly available

Cons

UM if a great please if you are MD or maybe for those with professional degrees. WORST place aver for PhD. In general, PhD are treated as second class employees and often perform all the scientific and analytical work for MD without any recognition including professional work required for peer-review publications and governmental grants. Get a job at UM as you very last resource.

Advice to Management

Find another option, this is a bad one
    If no other option available, take the UM job and keep applying to elsewhere. I guarantee you will want to leave in no time

5. "University of Miami"

Former Employee - FLORIDA in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - FLORIDA in Miami, FL

Pros

students and faculty, diversity of staff

Cons

nepotism, lack of commitment to mission, no opportunities for professional growth, low salaries.

Advice to Management

please pay more attention to well being and growth of dedicated employees

"It's a great company, if you have letters after your last name."

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tuition remission is helpful and beneficial. Starting pay is not at minimum wage. Working at UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital, you can make doctor appointments on campus so you wouldn't have to drive or go far.

Cons

If you don't have a fancy piece of paper that says you went to very expensive schools, they do not care about you as far as pay and benefits. You can have many years of experience and excellent work ethic, outstanding yearly reviews but get paid around 33k a year for a high volume, stressful job taking care of over 60 residents, plus managers.

Advice to Management

I know your M.D.s, Ph.D.s, etc are valuable but you shouldn't forget the little people who help them be where they are today. Without us, they would not be able to function properly.

7. "Old school"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Education benefits. Hours. People are friendly, almost family like. Easy job. Not very stressful. Vacation accrues year over year. Loan forgiveness.

Cons

No room for growth. Lack of technology advancement or knowledge of systems. Not challenging. Uncertainty. Disorganized and lack of communication

Advice to Management

Better training and applying new methods to current work. The idea "the way it's always been done" is not a good idea.

8. "Patient Access"

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Miami, FL

Pros

The organization has good benefits and programs.

Cons

No room for growth within the university. Exploring different options or opportunities in the organization is difficult.

Advice to Management

Encourage and coach your employees to advance within the department or with other opportunities within the organization. There is potential but no guidance or support from neither management nor HR.

9. "Sr. Research Associate/Laboratory Manager"

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami full-time

Pros

UM have so so benefits if you're making money and can afford the out of pocket expenses, their high monthly parking prices

Cons

In the research dept I worked in there were so much favoritism/racism, under cover salary increases & new positions/title changing it was ridiculous. When I spoke up they found ways to get rid of me after 21 years of loyal service. I was either getting fired or forced to resign so I resigned

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees no matter how many years or favoritism you feel is adequate for your decision making and stop sweeping what employees tell you Management/Administration you don't have the time make time because favoritism/racist is not allowed any where & I got railed road and no on wanted to listen. I should still be employed at UM.

10. "IT Security Department"

I worked at University of Miami full-time

Pros

UM has a big footprint in IT and thus this bring a lot of challenges.
    If you believes in education, then you will have a mission that will align with yours.
    The educational benefit for families is good.

Cons

Static environment, lack opportunities to move forward in your career.
    You have to pay for your own parking.
    A lot of politics and with that, you have an IT Security Dept. that is powerless.
    The IT Security Dept. have been broken up and reduced in size in a dramatic way.

Advice to Management

Take the CISO position out of the IT Dept. like it is recommended to avoid conflict of interests.

11. "doesn't pay on time, doesn't pay well"

Current Contractor - Instructional Designer in Miami, FL
    Current Contractor - Instructional Designer in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami as a contractor

Pros

remote team, freedom to shine, solid experience from a highly reputable and recognizable institution which could lead to better opportunities

Cons

their tution costs are very high to pay the contract developers so little. little support, little expertise and guidance, 6-8 weeks to get paid sometimes, being treated by the administration like the same sort of "vendor" that sells chairs and paper rather than a contributor to the curriculum and technological progress of the institution

Advice to Management

pay people on time, have project managers that actually know the systems they are managing